Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What is the tooth pitch of that gear? Petrol Scooter say their small sprocket supplied with the motor uses a 6mm (25H) chain, so if this gear has the same pitch to suit this chain then you will be OK. I don't know about the holes lining up though.
It's a 6mm 25h too.

Just reading an old post by @paul alan and he had issues with the spindle not fitting through the hole in the centre of the sprocket. Hope I haven't bought the same one!

It's a 6mm 25h too.

Just reading an old post by @paul alan and he had issues with the spindle not fitting through the hole in the centre of the sprocket. Hope I haven't bought the same one!
I took a rounded file and made the hole big enough for the spindle, the only trouble I had was the hole wasn't perfect so lining it up to centre was tricky.

I have had these two reels since last January and they still work all day every day perfectly.

I've bought these off eBay. 78 tooth. Hopefully they will line up with the 3 holes on the hosereel.

View attachment 15611

Still interested if anyone has managed to fit bearings to theirs?
That does look similar to the one I bought, I drilled two more holes in it so it sat down on the reel more straight, it was a tricky little bugger the first time doing it. You have to really take your time and make sure everything is perfectly straight and aligned. I used washers to space the cog away from the reel. I had to keep taking it all apart until I had it all lined up just right. Probably could do it with my eyes closed now.

Has anybody ever had a go at using a modified hozelock hose reel? The ones which help recoil the hose. I guess they use a wind up spring mechanism. This would save battery power. 
I've thought about it, but the longest one I've seen was 20m. That is with garden hose but even with smaller diameter hose it would still be 20m as I imagine there are a limited number of turns the spring will be able to do even if you could fit more hose on the reel.

The best thing about those reels is the way they wind it back on evenly. I wish I could replicate that.

I've thought about it, but the longest one I've seen was 20m. That is with garden hose but even with smaller diameter hose it would still be 20m as I imagine there are a limited number of turns the spring will be able to do even if you could fit more hose on the reel.

The best thing about those reels is the way they wind it back on evenly. I wish I could replicate that.
Yer I know what you are saying. They do a 40m. 

It's a 6mm 25h too.

You could use one of these in a drilling machine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abrasive-Sanding-Flap-Wheel-Mop-KLINGSPOR-KM613-Sandpaper-Metal-Stainless-Steel/263715374147?hash=item3d66a94443:m:mocy1ceHUGpofO2tjNr4XQA:rk:7:pf:0

You have more chance of opening the centre hole up 'evenly' this way.

Obviously the head or drum needs to be slightly smaller than the original hole.

I would recommend you get a white marker and draw out a bigger hole as a guide using a template. Aerosol caps can be a good choice if you find one slightly bigger than the hole you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheers, just bought one for the future. Prices will begin to rise from China now because they are concentrating the selling in China so I'm told.
They also advised that they wouldn't be selling motors with chain sprockets any longer. Then a month later they were back in stock and selling as if nothing had happened.

Half the voltage means half the speed and half the torque.

If you feed it with 24v the motor is too fast. Thre was a guy on the other forum that started this diy conversion. He connected 2 x 12v batteries together in series and said it is was too fast and too powerful.
I’ve seen someone add a control to there switch so they can modulate speed

To anyone wanting a motor, I think I've found the best deal I've ever seen: A 250w 24v motor with 11 tooth sprocket for £3.49 with free postage!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microfibre-Glasses-Cleaner-Spectacles-Sunglasses/dp/B07933CTHH/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548770088&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=250w+24v+motor&dpPl=1&dpID=415FKdQzpkL&ref=plSrch

I assume it's a mistake but I bought 2 yesterday and got them today. Perfect. 

Grab em while you can!

Screenshot_20190129-184642.png

To anyone wanting a motor, I think I've found the best deal I've ever seen: A 250w 24v motor with 11 tooth sprocket for £3.49 with free postage!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microfibre-Glasses-Cleaner-Spectacles-Sunglasses/dp/B07933CTHH/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548770088&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=250w+24v+motor&dpPl=1&dpID=415FKdQzpkL&ref=plSrch

Grab em while you can!

View attachment 15634
Have a day off! 

Just received mine from the same supplier but from eBay, £23.99.

I think it’s supposed to say £23.49, will return my other one and buy 2 at that price!

Last edited:

Grab em while you can!

View attachment 15634
Also just ordered two. Great price. Will have to go through the thread to find all the other parts now!

I’ve seen someone add a control to there switch so they can modulate speed
That would just be a 12 or 24v pwm available on ebay for under a fiver

I used one for about a year instead of a spring controller on my van mount which was exactly the same except it used the pump pressure switch instead of seperate dead end

Still worth it as a pressure switch cost about 2 quid if burnt out

Back