Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shurflo pump turning it upside down

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think it's funny TBH.
The first recommendation by Williamson pumps was that the Shurflo pump should fit motor pointing down. The first screw on inlet filters tightened up correctly with the filter bowl in the down position when the motor was fitted as first recommended (motor below pump head.) So the information label stuck to the motor housing is correctly positioned.

Then about 7 years ago they decided that it would be better to mount it the other way with the motor on top. This was prompted by the theory that if the pump leaked, water wouldn't get into the motor. The inlet filter then wasn't correct as the filter bowl was now on the top of the filter when the screw-on filter was tightened up. So in came the wingnut secured filter bowl that could be tightened up so the bowl could point down with the motor in any position.

But despite all the changes, no one has been able to arrange for the pumps information label to be stuck on the correct way for the suggested pump's orientation.

All I can say is that it beggars belief - unless I'm missing something.

BTW - I have only used Shurflo pumps and they have never given us any trouble. The first Shurflo pump I bought is still in service daily after 8 years. They are great pumps and I would recommend them from my experience, but each time I see the pumps with the labels up-side-down on my van, I shake my head.
Lovely bit of pump history there spruce nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely bit of pump history there spruce nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first Shurflo pump I had was on a trailer system and mounted in a pump box. A couple of months previous to the new idea of mounting the pump, the outlet hose developed a pin hole leak which slowly filled the pump box up with water and submerged the pump. I only noticed the box leaking water once it was full. But the pump continued to work despite being underwater.

I replaced the hose and ordered another pump which I fitted into the box. I also drilled a drain hole should another situation like this ever develop again. I stripped the Shurflo down and left it to dry for a couple of months before reassembling it as I didn't expect it to be serviceable again. However, it ran perfectly and was put back into service. I sold it along with the trolley system I no longer wanted to another cleaner 3 years ago and its still running now.

So turning the pump up the other way to stop a couple of drips of water getting into the motor seemed like a joke to me considering what my pump had experienced.

Back