Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Neile

Hi. I'm looking for some advice.

I have a p1pe 4200psi pressure washer. I am just wondering how I can change from the wand to a surface cleaner without turning off my machine. Is there a proper trigger that can stop the water while I change over?

I started encountering threads about unloader on pressure washers etc but I'm not sure what my machine is capable of.

I am just starting up and getting to grips with all the different parts and terms so please bear with Me.

Thanks all

Last edited:

I have a p1pe 4200psi pressure washer. I am just wondering how I can change from the wand to a surface cleaner without turning off my machine. Is there a proper trigger that can stop the water while I change over?

I started encountering threads about unloader on pressure washers etc but I'm not sure what my machine is capable of.

I am just starting up and getting to grips with all the different parts and terms so please bear with Me.

Thanks all
Hi Neile,

I use a trigger with quick connect, so I just swap from lance to FSC, Ben at Rutland Pumps can talk you through it.

Thanks all
Hi Neile,

I myself am just getting started and getting familiar with all the parts, I've queried this before myself and I think what you need is a Ball Valve.

I just checked Rutland Pumps quickly: High Pressure Ball Valve

It would be something like this, but I would just call them and ask them as you may need to get something different depending on your machine/equipment etc but yeah as far as I am aware it is a ball valve which allows you to switch between lance and FSC without having to turn your pressure washer on and off.

I have a trigger with quick connect so can swap over any lance and FSC without having to stopping the pressure washer. It's a kew trigger, it's not cheap around £70 but worth every penny. But as Derek said, give Rutlands a call, they will know what you need with your machine.

Thanks all, I give Rutland pumps a call. Also, what are you guys using as a black spot and lichen remover? I'm trying to find something that doesn't require a 2 hour "leave on" time as well as being safe for greenery and pets but looking for something online is a minefield. Thanks again.

Thanks all, I give Rutland pumps a call. Also, what are you guys using as a black spot and lichen remover? I'm trying to find something that doesn't require a 2 hour "leave on" time as well as being safe for greenery and pets but looking for something online is a minefield. Thanks again.
Hey Neile,

To remove the Lichen/Blackspot from surfaces, you will need Sodium Hypochlorite, it's sold in 5,10,20 litre tubs. A 20 litre tub will be about 30 quid and if the drives are average, say 2 cars, you will probably do 3-4 drives per 20 litre, unless you get an absolute terror. If you want to keep the cost down as your starting out, you can mix it 4 parts water 1 part SH and brush it on, or you can buy an X-jet from Rutland Pumps, think they're about 100 quid.

You will need proper PPE for using it, safety glasses to stop splashes, get a pair that are tight to the face, had a little fleck of SH from a brush hit me in the eye while wearing glasses, stung like a mofo, lucky I was able to rinse it. make sure you have an eye rinse kit in your van.

I always explain to the customer that if they want the Lichen gone, I will have to softwash, and explain that whilst doing so, pets and children must be supervised until I give them the all clear, which I tell them is 30 mins duration, then rinse down and when its dry, its safe.

MASK
ABEK1P3 Filters

Hey Neile,

To remove the Lichen/Blackspot from surfaces, you will need Sodium Hypochlorite, it's sold in 5,10,20 litre tubs. A 20 litre tub will be about 30 quid and if the drives are average, say 2 cars, you will probably do 3-4 drives per 20 litre, unless you get an absolute terror. If you want to keep the cost down as your starting out, you can mix it 4 parts water 1 part SH and brush it on, or you can buy an X-jet from Rutland Pumps, think they're about 100 quid.

You will need proper PPE for using it, safety glasses to stop splashes, get a pair that are tight to the face, had a little fleck of SH from a brush hit me in the eye while wearing glasses, stung like a mofo, lucky I was able to rinse it. make sure you have an eye rinse kit in your van.

MASK
ABEK1P3 Filters
Thanks for the advice mate. I've been looking into sodium hypo but I'm worried about it killing vegetation etc. Although if you water the vegetation down before and after it isn't supposed to but I've seen some conflicting stories. Last thing I want to do is destroy someone's garden but sodium hypo is by far the best and quickest to use.

I did a driveway with white/grey slabs and there was spots of black lichen all over them. The woman had tried everything to get rid but to no avail. She would have paid anything to get rid of them so i gave her a good price and she gave me the go ahead. First water down treatment went okay but the black spots were still there so I had to use neat hypo and a paint brush and dab them with it. PW area and had to do a second treatment with neat hypo to finally get rid of them all. Then I rinsed the area and job done in 4 hours. It was then she questioned me on my sign saying hot water cleans better than cold water. Her windy uses cold so she might want me to clean them in future. Its called Fomo, fear of missing out, someone was saying. ?

Latest Posts

Back