Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just Starting out window cleaning.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Matt Watson

Hi all, I am looking at starting up as a window cleaner.

I am looking at getting a wfp van system fitted. What are the best models and company's to fit these. 

Also just in general how many houses can you do on an average day? 

Many thanks 

Matt 

I clean 5-8 properties some days,10-15 other days and 20-30 on others....

Van systems are a minefield mate...

You need to find out your tap tds first,whether your gonna have a static set up at home for purifying your water,Van's payload,etc for size of tank,etc....

Welcome. This forum has all the knowledge you are asking. Use the search at the top right.

As @dazmondsaid you really need to know your tap tds and pressure. Then with a search you will know if you need DI or RO+DI. 

As for van systems that's a mine field. You need to know how much water you need a day, then work out the payload you need, then work out what van, then work out which systems you like and what their customer service is like.

I realise that I haven't given you any actual answers, that's because the answers are all here on the forum. I am not trying to be unhelpful but everyone operates very differently and by learning more you will help yourself no end. 

Okay great thank you, i will use the search button and get more info. 

Okay I can find out my tap tds pressure and then go from there. I already have my van (vauxhall vivaro) and was thinking around the 650 litre size so that shouldn't be a problem, will be just myself working so don't need a two man system. 

Okay I can find out my tap tds pressure and then go from there. I already have my van (vauxhall vivaro) and was thinking around the 650 litre size so that shouldn't be a problem, will be just myself working so don't need a two man system. 
That's the best way as we are with respect somewhat fatigued with newbies, some say they are wanting to start up but may never have, we had a massive influx with the covid effect,

Dependant on your drive to succeed and how ambitious you are as a person will also determine if you can make a go of it, quite a few start off with a backpack as it's a lower outlay compared to spending £1,000's on a van mount, running a business is very different beast and there is a great deal more to window cleaning than many assume 

That's great. One thing to be aware of is 650 litres of water weights 650kg. So add a tank, frame (don't just use ratchet straps as the tie downs are not strong enough), leisure battery, hose reel etc, you and payload capacity is soon eaten up. 

Also get a decent tds meter as they are cheap but there are some fakes about on ebay and amazon. Look at say DAqua for a HM Digital TDS-3. Screwfix sell pressure gauges that go on an outside tap.

Good luck to you mate, I started trad this year as a low barrier to entry and just had my car so you are already a step ahead. 

Since then I moved to backpack and containers, and for the last few months I have had a system fitted and have a 500L in an 09 transit connect. 

Best decision I made and in hindsight I wouldn't have fannied around with anything before getting the system installed. So much more efficient. 

I don't make my own water as I'm in a flat but as others have said find out the TDS and water pressure and you will be well on your way. 

Have you got a plan for getting customers in place mate? 

You’ve had some good advice here already mate. Best place to start is TDS. Don’t whatever you do be tempted by eBay. Use a reputable company instead. Dogue at Daqua is a good shout. Here’s a link to the correct page. 2nd option down will do you:

https://www.daqua.co.uk/testmeters.htm

I started myself with a backpack setup. There is a post on here with what I originally put together. As others have said, may be a good stepping stone before you fully commit. 

Since then I moved to backpack and containers, and for the last few months I have had a system fitted and have a 500L in an 09 transit connect. 

Best decision I made and in hindsight I wouldn't have fannied around with anything before getting the system installed. So much more efficient. 
Sorry to divert thread.

@JakdeDiamond I am working with a backpack and barrels at the moment (about 14 weeks in) and I am trying to find out how much quicker you found your van system over backpack? At moment it probably takes me 5 mins setup and same pack-up at each job plus a few mins if I need to fill up mid job.

That's great. One thing to be aware of is 650 litres of water weights 650kg. So add a tank, frame (don't just use ratchet straps as the tie downs are not strong enough), leisure battery, hose reel etc, you and payload capacity is soon eaten up. 

Also get a decent tds meter as they are cheap but there are some fakes about on ebay and amazon. Look at say DAqua for a HM Digital TDS-3. Screwfix sell pressure gauges that go on an outside tap.
His TDS is going to be high as he is in Cambridgeshire 

Sorry to divert thread.

@JakdeDiamond I am working with a backpack and barrels at the moment (about 14 weeks in) and I am trying to find out how much quicker you found your van system over backpack? At moment it probably takes me 5 mins setup and same pack-up at each job plus a few mins if I need to fill up mid job.
Hey Ched mate, for me it's day and night. The backpack and barrels definitely serve their purpose and I do understand why it can be a good stepping stone (I did it too after all). 

The time it was taking me to remove the backpack and barrels from the van ready for the property. Refilling the backpack mid clean - especially on first cleans. (Heavy lifting of the barrels was also a pain point for me).

After I got a univalve fitted it did noticeably improve my times, but the current routine of - 

Park up

Open side door

Unreel hose

Turn on pump

Clean and re-reel hose

Close door and go next.

Not knocking the barrels or trad if that's what people are doing, for me personally I look back and think, was there any way to get a van system earlier, and if so I wish I'd done it!. 

Hope that helps mate.

Hey Ched mate, for me it's day and night. The backpack and barrels definitely serve their purpose and I do understand why it can be a good stepping stone (I did it too after all). 

The time it was taking me to remove the backpack and barrels from the van ready for the property. Refilling the backpack mid clean - especially on first cleans. (Heavy lifting of the barrels was also a pain point for me).

After I got a univalve fitted it did noticeably improve my times, but the current routine of - 

Park up

Open side door

Unreel hose

Turn on pump

Clean and re-reel hose

Close door and go next.

Not knocking the barrels or trad if that's what people are doing, for me personally I look back and think, was there any way to get a van system earlier, and if so I wish I'd done it!. 

Hope that helps mate.
Cheers for that, very helpful.

I don't lift barrels as my backs not great so I use a 12v pump but that is so frustrating waiting to fill. I have fitted a rf remote switch to the backpack so that saves a bit of water. 

I am trying to justify a van and ongoing costs vs potential earnings using just the car. I don't need to earn much money as no mortgage, finance etc and we don't live extravagant lives, we are very careful with money. So while I can go out and buy a van and system the extra monthly costs do mean quite a bit more work just to cover van tax, insurance, maintenance let alone paying for the van equals a fair bit of extra work. 

Great to know that you are finding the van so much easier and quicker. Thanks

I think I am going to see where I am in the spring.

Hi all, I am looking at starting up as a window cleaner.

I am looking at getting a wfp van system fitted. What are the best models and company's to fit these. 

Also just in general how many houses can you do on an average day? 

Many thanks 

Matt 
Good evening and welcome,

My best advice for you would be to get an A4 lined refill pad a few pens and do what our member Ched did.

Study every typed word and note everything that you think will suit your needs to operate a business

Every single thing you need is listed and we are here to help and as @Iron Giantquotes it's been like mastermind these past 18 months with newbies questions 

Last edited by a moderator:
My best advice for you would be to get an A4 lined refill pad a few pens and do what our member Ched did.
Must admit I used notepad++ and copy and paste ? I have many files from water processing, clothing, wfp equipment, insurance, banking, leaflets, tanks, vans, software, websites, social media to name but a few!!!!!

I love technical info. I would much rather read a techy book than a novel, always have that's why I'm naff at English, ? . I have always loved to understand how things work, picys of me as a baby taking batteries out of toys and putting them back in ? 

Must admit I used notepad++ and copy and paste ? I have many files from water processing, clothing, wfp equipment, insurance, banking, leaflets, tanks, vans, software, websites, social media to name but a few!!!!!

I love technical info. I would much rather read a techy book than a novel, always have that's why I'm naff at English, ? . I have always loved to understand how things work, picys of me as a baby taking batteries out of toys and putting them back in ? 
Surprised you've not got an amazon paperback printed book on sale,

How to start wfp 

Me to, I sit and read machine mart or dual pumps catalogues when on the toilet 

Back