Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner SLX 25 for residential window cleaning..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You could add an extension to your 25' pole to make it a 30' pole.

@Chris Ashurst

I had an Slx22 and an slx40 to begin with. I replaced the slx22 after 9 years of service with an slx27. Now I don't need to use the 40' pole as often.

We have a lot of new town houses with the main bedroom in the loft. My slx22 wasn't long enough to reach those windows where my 27' is.
i would have done that to be honist if i had a gardner 25ft but my 25ft is a xline nano 25 and there extions are really heavy also upgraded the glamps to the phamtom ones as pole was looking very worn and clamps were allmost at full adjustment so ill just stick with the 25 till i kill it but its not wereing out since new clamps are on ?

I'd recommend buying an SLX-30 and taking off two sections for everyday use. (Buy an extra end cap for the shorter pole)

Keep the 2 sections to add on when you need them. I find for most houses, I rarely need the extra 2 sections, so I'm working with a lighter pole, but know I can go higher when needed.

Sorry, ignore this advice, as I had not realised that only the base pole is insulated. I am now ordering a base pole for the 4 sections I use on 80-90% of residential jobs. Thanks everyone who saved me a shock!!

My favourite is the SLX-22. I'm 6ft tall and I find I can reach over 80-90% of extensions and conservatories. It's a fantastic all round brush imo. I have a CLX-27 at home that I'll occasionally bring out for a facia/soffit/gutter clean, which needs that extra few feet.
I'd also highly recommend a swivel neck which makes getting awkward corners when you're off to one side far easier.

My favourite is the SLX-22. I'm 6ft tall and I find I can reach over 80-90% of extensions and conservatories. It's a fantastic all round brush imo. I have a CLX-27 at home that I'll occasionally bring out for a facia/soffit/gutter clean, which needs that extra few feet.
I'd also highly recommend a swivel neck which makes getting awkward corners when you're off to one side far easier.

What brush do you use as you don't mention it in your post? Thanks

What brush do you use as you don't mention it in your post? Thanks
It's the Gardiner Ultimate 35cm brush, which I use with 4 of the 1.4mm jets. I saw a Squeaky Clean Dave vid on YouTube where he says his preference is for a wider brush, so I thought I'd give it a try. I do like the setup, although there is a slight weight difference.

It's the Gardiner Ultimate 35cm brush, which I use with 4 of the 1.4mm jets. I saw a Squeaky Clean Dave vid on YouTube where he says his preference is for a wider brush, so I thought I'd give it a try. I do like the setup, although there is a slight weight difference.

My preference is for a smaller brush. I do have 1 x 35cm brush that gets used occasionally, but those extra grams do make a difference.

In all due respect to Squeaky Clean Dave, you can't take everything he says as gospel for you. His main goal is to generate income from his YouTube channel, so is always on the lookout for new content, as all YouTubers are.

Every pole and brush he has tested over the years has been the best according to his reviews. One of the brush comparisons he did once was a joke imho, and very biased.

Brushes are a very personal thing. As the saying goes: 'one man's meat is another man's poison', is very true when it comes to brushes.
Ask for brush recommendations and you will get lots of different suggestions.

My preference is for a smaller brush. I do have 1 x 35cm brush that gets used occasionally, but those extra grams do make a difference.

In all due respect to Squeaky Clean Dave, you can't take everything he says as gospel for you. His main goal is to generate income from his YouTube channel, so is always on the lookout for new content, as all YouTubers are.

Every pole and brush he has tested over the years has been the best according to his reviews. One of the brush comparisons he did once was a joke imho, and very biased.

Brushes are a very personal thing. As the saying goes: 'one man's meat is another man's poison', is very true when it comes to brushes.
Ask for brush recommendations and you will get lots of different suggestions.
Yes, that is a good point. I'm still pretty new to window cleaning, but I have realised how subjective a lot of the information you find online is. So many opinions floating around. Then again I have learnt huge amounts from YouTube, and the forums, especially when it came to building my setup. I was also lucky to have a good friend already window cleaning who acted as a bit of a mentor for me.

I wouldn't rule out going back to a 26cm brush. I'm still trying out different things to see what works for me. I'm thinking of investing in a sill brush next to help with FSG cleans especially getting right up between the gutter and facia.

Yes, that is a good point. I'm still pretty new to window cleaning, but I have realised how subjective a lot of the information you find online is. So many opinions floating around. Then again I have learnt huge amounts from YouTube, and the forums, especially when it came to building my setup. I was also lucky to have a good friend already window cleaning who acted as a bit of a mentor for me.

I wouldn't rule out going back to a 26cm brush. I'm still trying out different things to see what works for me. I'm thinking of investing in a sill brush next to help with FSG cleans especially getting right up between the gutter and facia.
TBH I've also picked up a few tips from him as well which I appreciate. But as with many educational videos on YouTube (for example, from health experts), they usually contradict another poster on the same subject who also claims to be an expert. Many times they are just personal experience or attention seeking to get the most 'thumbs up' and subscribers. There are dozens of YouTube channels all reporting the gossip going on in Formula 1, most of them without foundation but attention grabbing headlines.

Flocked sill brush from Gardiner's does this it's for fsg's

I'm only 5'7" and I can use an SLX 18 for most jobs. If I have an awkward conservatory or anything I have extensions number 5 and 6. I've only ever needed number 6 for on a town house and on a flat I've cleaned a few times.
I have tried a few makes poles but overall the SLX is brilliant (even still have my old CLX as it's a great spare pole).
26cm brushes are my usual go to, but I have a 35cm Dupont Gardiner ultimate which is good on big panes of glass and as it's single trim it scrubs very well without putting much pressure on it. I love watching squeaky clean Dave but I'm not sure I could use the 35cm brush all the time lol.

Hi everyone

I'm just starting out with wfp. Can anyone with experience please tell me if the Gardiner SLX in 25 foot will be long enough for residential work, or would I be better off going for 27 or 30?
Also, which brushes would you recommend?
Will I require a few different one's for different windows? Any other fixtures and fittings to make life easier?

Many thanks
Chris
Hi Chris,

I’ve been in business for 6yrs.
Two poles to cover most of your work you will need slx 18ft and 28ft. 18ft pole will reach 3 stories and the 28ft 3 to 4 stories.

As you grow a 55ft max will help for all commercial work.

I use the red poles as the black poles comes off onto your hands and you end working with black hands. But the reds are heavier.

By two spare hoses for your poles as they will wear out over time. I like to have spares for everything so you can fix it in the van and not have to go home. Trust me I used to do that.

Good luck mate!!

Hi everyone

I'm just starting out with wfp. Can anyone with experience please tell me if the Gardiner SLX in 25 foot will be long enough for residential work, or would I be better off going for 27 or 30?
Also, which brushes would you recommend?
Will I require a few different one's for different windows? Any other fixtures and fittings to make life easier?

Many thanks
Chris
Hi Chris
The Gardiner SLX 25 whilst cheap is heavy at around 1.5kg on the ground.Once in the air it will feel alot heavier.
The Gardiner Xtreme 22 is the best & lightest pole & will easily reach over conservatories it weighs 950g.
The weight difference might not initially seem alot but in real terms the Xtreme can be used easily all day & not the SLX. It will soon destroy yout shoulders.
The 35cm Xtreme brush with the rinse bar is probably all you will need. Get the swivel adapter too on the brush for when you can’t get directly below a window.
I have a dozen different brushes & never have to resort to using any of them for window cleaning even on first cleans.
Hope this helps!

Hi Chris
The Gardiner SLX 25 whilst cheap is heavy at around 1.5kg on the ground.Once in the air it will feel alot heavier.
The Gardiner Xtreme 22 is the best & lightest pole & will easily reach over conservatories it weighs 950g.
The weight difference might not initially seem alot but in real terms the Xtreme can be used easily all day & not the SLX. It will soon destroy yout shoulders.
The 35cm Xtreme brush with the rinse bar is probably all you will need. Get the swivel adapter too on the brush for when you can’t get directly below a window.
I have a dozen different brushes & never have to resort to using any of them for window cleaning even on first cleans.
Hope this helps!
According to Gardener's website, the SLX22 weighs 1270g and the SLX25 weighs 1420g. Not sure where you got the 950g figure tbh.

Hi Chris
Hope this helps!
Thanks very much for the advice.
Doesn't the Gardiner Xtreme wear out within 12 months or so? Whereas an SLX will maybe last a good few year's?

Thanks very much for the advice.
Doesn't the Gardiner Xtreme wear out within 12 months or so? Whereas an SLX will maybe last a good few year's?

Xtreme's are not as robust as SL-X poles and if the extra weight is not an issue for you then the SL-X's would be a better choice. However, if weight is an issue then the Xtreme's are definitely worth trying.

I've been using Xtreme poles now for several years and absolutely love them.

I've learned to think in terms of how much I earn with them before needing to replace them or a section etc, due to wear or tear, rather than how long, in terms of time they last. And then ask myself do I consider that a reasonable expense by comparison? So far for me the answer has always been in the affirmative.

If a breakage has occurred due to my own heavy-handed use then I don't count it. (I've broken SL-X's this way)

Latest Posts

Back