Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner SLX 25 for residential window cleaning..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris Ashurst

Hi everyone

I'm just starting out with wfp. Can anyone with experience please tell me if the Gardiner SLX in 25 foot will be long enough for residential work, or would I be better off going for 27 or 30?
Also, which brushes would you recommend?
Will I require a few different one's for different windows? Any other fixtures and fittings to make life easier?

Many thanks
Chris

The SLX is a great pole and will serve you for many years. The length you choose depends on the type of work you plan to do.
I use a 25 footer and it covers everything I do which is mainly two story, 2-4 bed terraced houses and a handful of three story town houses.
A 22 footer would do most (90%) but not all due to the large extensions and conservatory's on many of them.

The SLX is a great pole and will serve you for many years. The length you choose depends on the type of work you plan to do.
I use a 25 footer and it covers everything I do which is mainly two story, 2-4 bed terraced houses and a handful of three story town houses.
A 22 footer would do most (90%) but not all due to the large extensions and conservatory's on many of them.
Thanks for that mate. How about brushes, would you go with Gardiner again? Can you recommend a specific model?

Depending on what vehicle you are using you might be better with a slx27 - it has a shorter collapsed length than the slx25. It is thicker and heavier though. It's always a balance, we would like a longer, lighter, stiffer, cheaper pole but you have to compromise.
Look around at the houses you are targeting, are they Victorian (quite tall so need longer pole) new build types (much shorter) use google maps to see if lots have conservatories that need reaching over! I started out with a slx27 but found it quite tiring to use all day due to my body not being used to the work, so I bought a clx18 which is nice and light but only does say 50% of my work. I also bought a clx8 which is great for bungalows and big connys.
As for brushes I personally love the supreme tapertec but as I have gained more experience I have switched to a large extreme tapertec sill brush - sill brushes are heavier but I find them easier to scrub the sills with.
You can work with a single brush but if you have lots of houses with leaded glass or decorative lead it might be worth getting a flocked brush as they don't pull the lead as much.

Depending on what vehicle you are using you might be better with a slx27 - it has a shorter collapsed length than the slx25. It is thicker and heavier though. It's always a balance, we would like a longer, lighter, stiffer, cheaper pole but you have to compromise.
Look around at the houses you are targeting, are they Victorian (quite tall so need longer pole) new build types (much shorter) use google maps to see if lots have conservatories that need reaching over! I started out with a slx27 but found it quite tiring to use all day due to my body not being used to the work, so I bought a clx18 which is nice and light but only does say 50% of my work. I also bought a clx8 which is great for bungalows and big connys.
As for brushes I personally love the supreme tapertec but as I have gained more experience I have switched to a large extreme tapertec sill brush - sill brushes are heavier but I find them easier to scrub the sills with.
You can work with a single brush but if you have lots of houses with leaded glass or decorative lead it might be worth getting a flocked brush as they don't pull the lead as much.
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated advice ?

I currently use Xtreme brushes only. My preference is Gardiner's Dupont Tapertec for general window cleaning, and a flocked version for leaded windows. I used to use the Ultimate's before that and they were very good too.

However, brushes are very much a personal thing.

A 22ft pole is an ideal daily pole I'm 5ft and shrinking and I manage a lot of my work with a 22ft I also have a 27ft pole for jobs with extensions and 3 storey townhouses

You can buy a 22ft pole and the appropriate extension No #6 which is easily added as required I couldn't use a 25 or 27ft pole as my daily to much strain over time on my shoulders etc

A 22ft pole is an ideal daily pole I'm 5ft and shrinking and I manage a lot of my work with a 22ft I also have a 27ft pole for jobs with extensions and 3 storey townhouses

You can buy a 22ft pole and the appropriate extension No #6 which is easily added as required I couldn't use a 25 or 27ft pole as my daily to much strain over time on my shoulders etc
Thanks for that. So I can buy the Gardiner SLX 22ft and get an extension to take it to 25ft?

I currently use Xtreme brushes only. My preference is Gardiner's Dupont Tapertec for general window cleaning, and a flocked version for leaded windows. I used to use the Ultimate's before that and they were very good too.

However, brushes are very much a personal thing.
Which of these goosenecks would you recommend?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213-120644_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240213-120644_Chrome.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4
My longest pole is a 25 and it covers all my work

I did have to dump a few with velux on the roof or really high dormers but you don't want these jobs anyway. A 25ft pole will reach 99% of houses you come across.

for me 3 poles are a good balance i have 22/25/47 it all depends on your round for me a 18 will get most of it but comes up short on windows over big connys so 22 will get all 2 story work and some 3 story but i have a few that 22 wont so on them i use the 25 and the 47 for the high bits in hind sight should have got the 30 instead but to late now

I'd recommend buying an SLX-30 and taking off two sections for everyday use. (Buy an extra end cap for the shorter pole)

Keep the 2 sections to add on when you need them. I find for most houses, I rarely need the extra 2 sections, so I'm working with a lighter pole, but know I can go higher when needed.

for me 3 poles are a good balance i have 22/25/47 it all depends on your round for me a 18 will get most of it but comes up short on windows over big connys so 22 will get all 2 story work and some 3 story but i have a few that 22 wont so on them i use the 25 and the 47 for the high bits in hind sight should have got the 30 instead but to late now

You could add an extension to your 25' pole to make it a 30' pole.

@Chris Ashurst

I had an Slx22 and an slx40 to begin with. I replaced the slx22 after 9 years of service with an slx27. Now I don't need to use the 40' pole as often.

We have a lot of new town houses with the main bedroom in the loft. My slx22 wasn't long enough to reach those windows where my 27' is.

It's worth remembering that the bottom sections of complete poles have a different material wrapped around them for insulation against electric shock, so working without that section leaves you more open to being electrocuted should you hit an overhead cable or indeed any exposed wiring. Not common I know but is still a risk. I've come across it a few time on private properties where exterior lighting has been removed and wires have just been left sticking out of walls.

l hit an overhead wire recently and got quite a fright until I realized it was a telecom cable.

It's too much faff breaking poles down and using extensions. Just buy 1 pole that covers everything or 2 or 3 if needed.
We would need 7 poles, we have 3 poles and 4 extensions. When you're 100 yards from the van and 2 men working miles away from each other it is far easier, and much quicker, to remove the extension then it is to walk all the way back to the van. This ignores the cost comparison and the clutter caused by 7 poles.

It's too much faff breaking poles down and using extensions. Just buy 1 pole that covers everything or 2 or 3 if needed.
Yes I agree we have 7-9 poles per van and provided they are stored neatly I feel that’s the best option , also if employing you can’t allow staff to be using poles without insulated handles

Attachments

• IMG_3576.jpeg
    IMG_3576.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here is the cost comparison, I won't include the 7th pole as that is for 6 floors and above and rarely used. Some ones idea of neat and tidy is somewhat different to mine :ROFLMAO:

2 x Xtreme 25's £1464

2 x Xtreme 35's £2208

2 x Xtreme 47's £2856

Total = £6528

2 x Xtreme 25's £1464

2 x extension 6 & 7 £ 756

2 x extension 8 & 9 £ 876

Total = £ 3096

A saving of £ 3432

Last edited:
For most sole trader mainly domestic window cleaners working on their own they will not need anything more than a 25 footer for most of their work.

I use an xtreme 25 90% of the time and an xtreme 47 for the other 10% of higher work.

Eventually I'll get rid of the higher jobs and all my work will be cleaned with the 25.

Latest Posts

Back