Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Losing Customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I know I’m going slightly off topic here, But many people  seem to think that earning good money is All about high prices. 

Although it’s important it’s not everything. 

As Davy G says you also need to work hard, in an efficient way to make top dollar. 

Looking at your phone every 10 mins, having numerous tea breaks and sneaking of to McDonalds for lunch will get you nowhere even in high paying areas. 
Agree, Efficiency, quality, standards & customer service are the real money makers in my opinion 

I know I’m going slightly off topic here, But many people  seem to think that earning good money is All about high prices. 

Although it’s important it’s not everything. 

As Davy G says you also need to work hard, in an efficient way to make top dollar. 

Looking at your phone every 10 mins, having numerous tea breaks and sneaking of to McDonalds for lunch will get you nowhere even in high paying areas. 
You're totally on the topic and made some very important and valid points. My phone is left in the van while I'm working. I don't answer calls till I'm back home. I eat as I'm driving between jobs, a few bananas. We rarely stop for a break. I never buy food during the working day apart from maybe twice a year when we might get a pasty or fish and chips if it's a dreadfully cold day. Spend a fiver a day on a coffee, a can of coke and a sandwich every working day, I doubt there'd be much, if any, change from a fiver. That's a hundred pounds a month. At least a thousand pounds in a year. I couldn't let myself do it.
I'd rather take my own food from home. We rarely do more than 6 hours in a day.

I do generally get between 25-30 per hour but I thought that was alot to be honest. Out of interest what are you guys earning ?
If that's your turnover then two factors come into play efficiency and compact work, if you are slow then that will impact on your earnings you should very easily be able to clean x4 of those 3 bed semi's if you are doing 2-3 jobs then having to drive into another street whether it's just the next street over or half a mile away for another 2-3 jobs then this impacting on your turnover

If that's your turnover then two factors come into play efficiency and compact work, if you are slow then that will impact on your earnings you should very easily be able to clean x4 of those 3 bed semi's if you are doing 2-3 jobs then having to drive into another street whether it's just the next street over or half a mile away for another 2-3 jobs then this impacting on your turnover
I can do 3 x 3 bed semis an hour at best. I can't really see how I could do more without sacrificing quality.

I do generally get between 25-30 per hour but I thought that was alot to be honest. Out of interest what are you guys earning ?
My turnover is roughly the  50k mark per year at present for part time hours(around 25-30 hour weeks including admin,printing invoices,purifying water,etc not just the actual cleaning)46 weeks of the year....I'm happy with this level of income as my missus earns roughly the same as me(maybe a bit more) but for more hours in her interior designer business....

I could earn more by working more hours but I'm happy with my work/life balance...I'm also 50 next month so dont want full time hours

My turnover is roughly the  50k mark per year at present for part time hours(around 25-30 hour weeks including admin,printing invoices,purifying water,etc not just the actual cleaning)46 weeks of the year....I'm happy with this level of income as my missus earns roughly the same as me(maybe a bit more) but for more hours in her interior designer business....

I could earn more by working more hours but I'm happy with my work/life balance...I'm also 50 next month so dont want full time hours
Roughly same hours myself at half your income so I thinks that's fantastic. I'm guessing you charge quite a bit more ?

Roughly same hours myself at half your income so I thinks that's fantastic. I'm guessing you charge quite a bit more ?
I've refined my work over many years into the compact round it is today but it's only over the last 7 or 8 years that I've really began to earn much better money...12 years ago I was barely earning £18-£20k a year window cleaning working longer hours on the ladders and I was ready to throw in the towel as I was really bored of cleaning...

I also clean lots of larger properties and a few commercial jobs here and there these day (as well as ridiculously compact runs of domestic work)....

Before I started window cleaning, my old window cleaner used to turn up every 4 weeks (although he did disappear for the winter). I always thought that four weeks was too frequent and that he was taking the Mickey. 

If other customers feel the same, they probably won't say anything to your face but might just pull the plug. Feels like you're hitting them for money all the time when the windows look like they're clean anyway.

I took over a round that was all 6 weekly. I quickly ran out of time so all the new stuff gets taken on at 8 weekly, quarterly or even six monthly. My highest hourly rate is the 6 monthly stuff. If it was all like that I'd be sitting pretty.
? How's 4 weekly taking the mickey,  long before you even decided to set up 2 then 4 weekly schedules were the norm and have been for me more so for around 15 years, when I started up over 21 years ago it was mostly 2 weekly but within a few years 4 weekly was more the norm then even more so when the recession hit in 2008 I think it was maybe it's a North South divide thing to a point but 4 weekly certainly ain't taking the mickey

If houses prices weren't so high down south maybe they could afford to have their windows cleaned on a more regular basis ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have lots of 4 weekly work too....I remember cleaning fortnightly up until 15 years ago!??of course I have longer frequencies too and even the odd annual and bi annual cleans of larger properties....

All the answers to your topic have been answered. If I were you I'd get a pen and paper and go through the comments. You say you do a good job, then that's more than half the battle. Good customers (I refer to them as middle class professionals) is a must. If you look at what Dazmond is saying about compact work (which takes years to refine) is another step in the right direction. I like that phrase, pricing at the high end of fair. Put all of these together and you're onto a winner, but it takes time! And make sure you're not over cleaning the windows!!!

All the answers to your topic have been answered. If I were you I'd get a pen and paper and go through the comments. You say you do a good job, then that's more than half the battle. Good customers (I refer to them as middle class professionals) is a must. If you look at what Dazmond is saying about compact work (which takes years to refine) is another step in the right direction. I like that phrase, pricing at the high end of fair. Put all of these together and you're onto a winner, but it takes time! And make sure you're not over cleaning the windows!!!
I can see my questions have been answered and am very grateful for that. I'm fairly sure how I'm going to move forward now but was just curious about other people and enjoying the discussion I suppose. I don't know any other window cleaners really so it's quite reassuring to see you've all been through the same issues. Cheers ?

I can see my questions have been answered and am very grateful for that. I'm fairly sure how I'm going to move forward now but was just curious about other people and enjoying the discussion I suppose. I don't know any other window cleaners really so it's quite reassuring to see you've all been through the same issues. Cheers ?
I wasn't suggesting that you'd exhausted the post. Having gone through what you're going through, I was just pointing out that you have the answers. Good luck, and always ask questions, these guys on here are fab!

I can do 3 x 3 bed semis an hour at best. I can't really see how I could do more without sacrificing quality.
You are taking too long to only be doing 3 a straight forward wfp job I assume, to wiping sills with cloths are getting rid of scuffs with a magic sponge if you are doing the extras that needs dropping, whatever is making you take longer you need to speed up, On some jobs are factoring in extra time for setting up etc or getting onto flat roofs with a ladder as this also needs pricing into a job as well, 

This week for example I priced a job which has been extended and is 3 storey at the back I have two sets of bifold doors then have to make my way up some stairs onto a large veranda and clean another two plus one above and then flat roof access with my ladder to get to 2 other windows this job is priced quite a bit higher because of the less than straight forward access to a lot of the windows, otherwise I'd be losing money with extra time for access.

You are taking too long to only be doing 3 a straight forward wfp job I assume, to wiping sills with cloths are getting rid of scuffs with a magic sponge if you are doing the extras that needs dropping, whatever is making you take longer you need to speed up, On some jobs are factoring in extra time for setting up etc or getting onto flat roofs with a ladder as this also needs pricing into a job as well, 

This week for example I priced a job which has been extended and is 3 storey at the back I have two sets of bifold doors then have to make my way up some stairs onto a large veranda and clean another two plus one above and then flat roof access with my ladder to get to 2 other windows this job is priced quite a bit higher because of the less than straight forward access to a lot of the windows, otherwise I'd be losing money with extra time for access.
I suspected that he is over cleaning them, but he's learning by asking the question, and is clearly listening...

Thats about what I do and feel like im a fairly quick worker to be honest. Maybe 15 minutes on the house, and say 5 for getting the gear together and pulling up at next place. Unless lucky enough to have loads next door to eachother. I have some runs of 3 in a row which speeds it up. Anyway, 3 in an hour is roughly 40 quid so no problem there. just get into the swing of it without worrying too much and your day will be better 

Yes, your taking too long. 

An average 3 bed semi will have 3 windows and a door at the front, 1 or 2 down the side and 3 windows and a patio at the back. 
you should be able to knock out 4-5 if their side by side in an hour. 
If you have to drive to each one then 3 is about right. 
either your flow rate is too low, or your scrubbing clean windows and rinsing already rinsed windows. 
On a 4 week cycle the windows won’t need much work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
either your flow rate is too low, or your scrubbing clean windows and rinsing already rinsed windows. 
Interesting point. My flow rate is limited by backpack but when scrubbing I am currently going vertically across the window then side to side from top to bottom then rinse. This is on 6 weekly repeats. Do you think I might be scrubbing too much?

Hope everyone is well

Ive been struggling a little bit lately so I thought Id start a new topic to see if anyone could offer any advice or is experiencing the same thing. Been in the window cleaning business over 5 years now but lately I've reached a point where I'm growing concerned because I always seem to be losing customers. The reason for this I have found is that most people only seem to want one clean every now and then. Where as I offer a 4 weekly service and do a good job as far as I'm told but it always seems like I get a new customer and then a few months later they cancel. When I ask why it's always the same excuse such as "oooh I'm having money troubles". It's been going on since I started but as I say lately it's started to get me very down because everytime I feel like I'm building a bigger customer base it falls back down again. I have considered the idea of offering an 8 weekly service but that means I'd have to gain double the amount of customers I have now, in order to hold my net profit, which I can't see happening and I fear it would give alot of my customers an incentive to stop 4 weekly which would impact me even worse financially. Price wise I charge £10 for a standard 3 bedroom with 4 windows on the front and back (Inc doors) and a couple on the side. £15 if it includes a conservatory. As far as I know that's quite competitive or am I charging too much ? I have around 170 customers and have worked very hard canvassing to get there. It feels like a big victory when gain a new one so it's quite a blow when I keep getting texts saying they want to cancel.

Anyone else have/had this problem ? As always any help is greatly appreciated.
I don’t understand why you are loosing customers, generally the only customers we loose are ones that die or are moving , but I am very strict when quoting work and stress we only do 4-8 weekly domestic a y hesitation I just suggest they look fir someone else , I also stress the work all year and in all weather in reason again any hesitation and I won’t take them on , we have well over 4,500 customers and if I loose 4-8 a year from time wasters that’s it , 99% of all enquires ask for 4 weekly but that’s just how it is down hear I think time scale is an area thing . Not sure what area you are in but your pricing certainly isn’t expensive is your work compact or spread out ? If not compact at those prices you will struggle to earn a decent rate , we clean 3 bed modern estate semis at the rate of 5-7 per hour per man and have literally hundreds of them on estates and only travel half a mile in a week . This helps our hourly rate no end at least 2-3x your  hourly highest  rate not boasting before certain ones say I am just sharing what can be done if work is compact . 

I don’t understand why you are loosing customers, generally the only customers we loose are ones that die or are moving , but I am very strict when quoting work and stress we only do 4-8 weekly domestic a y hesitation I just suggest they look fir someone else , I also stress the work all year and in all weather in reason again any hesitation and I won’t take them on , we have well over 4,500 customers and if I loose 4-8 a year from time wasters that’s it , 99% of all enquires ask for 4 weekly but that’s just how it is down hear I think time scale is an area thing . Not sure what area you are in but your pricing certainly isn’t expensive is your work compact or spread out ? If not compact at those prices you will struggle to earn a decent rate , we clean 3 bed modern estate semis at the rate of 5-7 per hour per man and have literally hundreds of them on estates and only travel half a mile in a week . This helps our hourly rate no end at least 2-3x your  hourly highest  rate not boasting before certain ones say I am just sharing what can be done if work is compact . 
Perhaps we differ in that I might take on hesitant customers and you don't. I don't feel I have the luxury of turning down clients at the moment. I'd worry that it would be quite rude aswell to turn down a customer that's just said they would like the service. I suppose my work isn't compact enough from what you are saying. Obviously I'd like it to be but what can I do if one person wants their windows cleaned and the next door doesn't ? I just don't know how you can manage 5-7 full houses in one hour with good results as that's less than 10 minutes per house.Especially with the issue of hydrophobic glass which takes longer. Do you think you could post a video of how you clean a house in under 10 mins as it would certainly be helpful to me and I'm guessing alot of other guys here. Especially with the issue of hydrophobic glass which takes longer. I do feel like I must be in a rubbish area from all your comments.

Latest Posts

Back