Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Viably employing extra staff.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm a one man band and I can make 200 to 300 a day, 5 days a week. I don't see the point employing nor putting another van on the road. I'm just taking easy work now and dropping the hard stuff and time wasters.
Best business I have ever had and I've worked in plenty that give 10 times more headaches.

I'm a one man band and I can make 200 to 300 a day, 5 days a week. I don't see the point employing nor putting another van on the road. I'm just taking easy work now and dropping the hard stuff and time wasters.
Best business I have ever had and I've worked in plenty that give 10 times more headaches.
Fairplay to you I remember those days as well honestly they're good days! Only thing I will say is 200 a day these days with van maintenance etc isn't enough I think it really needs to be more like 300 You can probably still have quite a chilled lifestyle with that sort of turnover I know!
don't forget most people have 28 days paid holiday as well!
So when you factor everything in that will get drawn down quite a lot!

And you're right to be honest with you it just intrigued me to keep going when I had two vans going it was pretty good now this one van scaling down to one staff member with myself is actually phenomenal but again I can't help but indulge in thinking if I can get just one more van back on the road with this lol! Obviously hurdles to get over as you've seen!

Fairplay to you I remember those days as well honestly they're good days! Only thing I will say is 200 a day these days with van maintenance etc isn't enough I think it really needs to be more like 300 You can probably still have quite a chilled lifestyle with that sort of turnover I know!
don't forget most people have 28 days paid holiday as well!
So when you factor everything in that will get drawn down quite a lot!

And you're right to be honest with you it just intrigued me to keep going when I had two vans going it was pretty good now this one van scaling down to one staff member with myself is actually phenomenal but again I can't help but indulge in thinking if I can get just one more van back on the road with this lol! Obviously hurdles to get over as you've seen!
If I were in your shoes then I would be looking at optimisation. Only have one van on the road and examine all your customers. Weed out the ones that make life hard and concentrate on the cream. That's what I am doing now, chasing the cream. I will do the odd PVC clean or PW for my good customers and don't chase any work now. Have too many good customers that I want to keep happy with my service. More vans means more hassle and less dough coming in because of staff and maintenance. fwiw

If I were in your shoes then I would be looking at optimisation. Only have one van on the road and examine all your customers. Weed out the ones that make life hard and concentrate on the cream. That's what I am doing now, chasing the cream. I will do the odd PVC clean or PW for my good customers and don't chase any work now. Have too many good customers that I want to keep happy with my service. More vans means more hassle and less dough coming in because of staff and maintenance. fwiw
Yes absolutely that's kind of what I've been doing now for the last 3 years, And the last 12 months (been at it 15 years) I mean the turnover for two people is really top-notch at the moment I realised how much I'm saving by not having that van out however this is the problem... Eventually after some time even though The earnings are great low overheads running at about 55% profit after VAT flat out everyday for two people eventually you realise that you can't get out of this predicament at all...

And so you have an option continue or do what? The definition of a good business is one that you can step back from to some degree let it run and focus on something else whether that's pursuing your passion or maybe even another business.

So although the numbers really stack up very well ? I would really like to create something a bit more scalable without my direct involvement for the long term. I like the idea of going on holiday or if I have to go in hospital or anything you don't know what's around the corner you still have an income you still have something going.

It's more accomplishment I suppose and the fact I would need to pay my staff member if I'm ill for example because it's not fair on him The other van would compliment that on those days as well which is nice!

Because yes life is a lot easier now and I worked out I saved an extra £40,000 a year by taking the other van off the road and cancelling off those wages.. It was a lot of money then I realised how much more I am earning by being physically on the job!

But we're talking 8 hours a day every day without fail 5 days a week , I've done this for a very very long time as well I kind of will feel more satisfied if I could create my model or replicate and enjoy a bit of extra income without my direct involvement so much that makes sense it will be quite a reward.

I totally hear you about the hassle and if you're currently working on your own like you say you are I can categorise and tell you some of those days were the best days of my life gym at 1:00 p.m. staying up if I wanted to missing a day's work if I wanted to going on holiday whenever I wanted to those luxuries came and like you say go to work pull off £300 without really breaking too much of a sweat staying under vat threshold no wages no accountants needed It is less money though but many many benefits.. But the point is it's plenty of money to live and even save It was good times I must say!

But now that I came this far which is technically two vans full time in one I feel I just need to make that last step one more van separate to my operation! trying not to focus on the negatives Which are definitely there like you have correctly mentioned!

Yes absolutely that's kind of what I've been doing now for the last 3 years, And the last 12 months (been at it 15 years) I mean the turnover for two people is really top-notch at the moment I realised how much I'm saving by not having that van out however this is the problem... Eventually after some time even though The earnings are great low overheads running at about 55% profit after VAT flat out everyday for two people eventually you realise that you can't get out of this predicament at all...

And so you have an option continue or do what? The definition of a good business is one that you can step back from to some degree let it run and focus on something else whether that's pursuing your passion or maybe even another business.

So although the numbers really stack up very well ? I would really like to create something a bit more scalable without my direct involvement for the long term. I like the idea of going on holiday or if I have to go in hospital or anything you don't know what's around the corner you still have an income you still have something going.

It's more accomplishment I suppose and the fact I would need to pay my staff member if I'm ill for example because it's not fair on him The other van would compliment that on those days as well which is nice!

Because yes life is a lot easier now and I worked out I saved an extra £40,000 a year by taking the other van off the road and cancelling off those wages.. It was a lot of money then I realised how much more I am earning by being physically on the job!

But we're talking 8 hours a day every day without fail 5 days a week , I've done this for a very very long time as well I kind of will feel more satisfied if I could create my model or replicate and enjoy a bit of extra income without my direct involvement so much that makes sense it will be quite a reward.

I totally hear you about the hassle and if you're currently working on your own like you say you are I can categorise and tell you some of those days were the best days of my life gym at 1:00 p.m. staying up if I wanted to missing a day's work if I wanted to going on holiday whenever I wanted to those luxuries came and like you say go to work pull off £300 without really breaking too much of a sweat staying under vat threshold no wages no accountants needed It is less money though but many many benefits.. But the point is it's plenty of money to live and even save It was good times I must say!

But now that I came this far which is technically two vans full time in one I feel I just need to make that last step one more van separate to my operation! trying not to focus on the negatives Which are definitely there like you have correctly mentioned!
I realise the scenario that you are in. I would bite the bullet and sell or give someone some of the work. If you keep it small and compact not much can go wrong. Will be good to hear from you in 6 or 12 months to hear how it has turned out.

Yes but surely some of your vans may cross technically very close to each other but definitely some jobs close to you I guess you just leave it as it is and just carry on right?

understand, It's all about how much money is left in your pocket I suppose after everything and VAT , yeah I was just curious but to be fair I think I kind of answered my own question £250 extra a month on top of the way which is probably about £2,500 is decent definitely to keep people working.

The only time they might get sour is if they don't make the bonus!
Each van has its own rounds and usually they stick to them but if one has a bit less work for some reason they will cover a couple of the other vans jobs if nearby.
if they don’t get a bonus it’s down to them ,getting complaints ( haven’t had a genuine complaint for years ) they all do well especially with add ons I set realistic figures to reach but even my slowest guy still does well with bonuses and they are all happy the way it’s run

Coincidentally my colleague called in ill today it's rare, But I decided to go out to work alone I usually don't do that because there's VAT to account for and it annoys me that I'm working given 20% of turnover away! But today I decided to test it a little bit and just Go down memory lane..

I can honestly tell you I felt revitalised
I turned over the £300 in literally 3 hours unfortunately in my case I'm vat registered so It's £250.

I started at 6:30 in the morning on the commercial and finished at 9:30 I had a overwhelming feeling of happiness I can't tell you I've not had for years!!!

I just made a 300 turnover ok fine at the moment it's 250 because of the VAT but It was still that turnover! In a short space I went home I bought my groceries I went to the gym I got diesel for the vehicle I filled up with some more water for the next day , It was then just 12:00 I kicked back with the misses I watched some films Oh my god I am now missing my previous life!!!!! And if I wanted any more money I could have worked an extra hour or two!! Not even a full day.

What can I do I am currently in the situation where I need an employee and I think I will just need to keep going but by God You lot are so right It's been a while since I experienced this sort of laid-back day..

I actually feel happy rather than exhausted and overworked! I think though in my case if I could get the van to be independent of me I'll probably have this feeling with the second van , It was less money to run two vehicles and more money when I am working full time with someone right with me for the reasons I explained before slacking pricing etc..

But yeah I just wanted to put this out there
I had a flashback from some years ago today and I completely remembered my previous life It was a lot easier and very rewarding for very little time technically!!!!

No responsibilities no one to worry about yeah I can now much more I appreciate my previous single operator setup!! If I ever decided to go backwards which I don't think I will to be fair only because I'm here now I would obviously de-register for vat and stay Under!

Definitely one of the best single operator businesses going! And now I totally remember it! And I do miss it!!!

The definition of a good business is one that you can step back from to some degree let it run and focus on something else whether that's pursuing your passion or maybe even another business.
I personally disagree with you on this, the definition of a good business is one that is doing well across the board in business we are all different which is why we are all self-employed we are in charge of our own day-to-day running and do just what we want,

Plenty of businesses look like swans elegant on top but paddling like hell underneath, plenty of us have built successful businesses whether that be as sole traders happily working on our own or multi-van ops, but many more go under

I personally disagree with you on this, the definition of a good business is one that is doing well across the board in business we are all different which is why we are all self-employed we are in charge of our own day-to-day running and do just what we want,

Plenty of businesses look like swans elegant on top but paddling like hell underneath, plenty of us have built successful businesses whether that be as sole traders happily working on our own or multi-van ops, but many more go under
Yes that's true as well funny enough my previous post kind of made me realise when I worked alone today it's funny I feel happier today than I do all week even though there was more money involved, It just proves it just as much as what you're saying as well It's true.!

Coincidentally my colleague called in ill today it's rare, But I decided to go out to work alone I usually don't do that because there's VAT to account for and it annoys me that I'm working given 20% of turnover away! But today I decided to test it a little bit and just Go down memory lane..

I can honestly tell you I felt revitalised
I turned over the £300 in literally 3 hours unfortunately in my case I'm vat registered so It's £250.

I started at 6:30 in the morning on the commercial and finished at 9:30 I had a overwhelming feeling of happiness I can't tell you I've not had for years!!!

I just made a 300 turnover ok fine at the moment it's 250 because of the VAT but It was still that turnover! In a short space I went home I bought my groceries I went to the gym I got diesel for the vehicle I filled up with some more water for the next day , It was then just 12:00 I kicked back with the misses I watched some films Oh my god I am now missing my previous life!!!!! And if I wanted any more money I could have worked an extra hour or two!! Not even a full day.

What can I do I am currently in the situation where I need an employee and I think I will just need to keep going but by God You lot are so right It's been a while since I experienced this sort of laid-back day..

I actually feel happy rather than exhausted and overworked! I think though in my case if I could get the van to be independent of me I'll probably have this feeling with the second van , It was less money to run two vehicles and more money when I am working full time with someone right with me for the reasons I explained before slacking pricing etc..

But yeah I just wanted to put this out there
I had a flashback from some years ago today and I completely remembered my previous life It was a lot easier and very rewarding for very little time technically!!!!

No responsibilities no one to worry about yeah I can now much more I appreciate my previous single operator setup!! If I ever decided to go backwards which I don't think I will to be fair only because I'm here now I would obviously de-register for vat and stay Under!

Definitely one of the best single operator businesses going! And now I totally remember it! And I do miss it!!!
Yes, I was talking to a business professor and he gave me a good lesson on business. When you go to work and you have priced the clean wrong then you can't put your heart and soul into the job but the opposite when its a good price job. You can then look forward to the next clean and the plan of action is taking place. You know exactly how much you will earn so the quicker one works the quicker the money builds up. You have stumbled on it today and realise that efficiency is the name of the game. If we can buy something that makes our job easier like hot water or light expensive pole then we reach the top end of efficiency and enjoy going to work. ?

The definition of a good business is one that you can step back from to some degree let it run and focus on something else whether that's pursuing your passion or maybe even another business.

The definition of a good business, is one that does what you want it too.
If that’s to earn good money in a short time so you can do other things, or running 5 vans , so you can earn lots. Or earning £100 a week to top up your pension.

If it does what you want it’s a good business.
If it doesn’t then you need to change it.

My family and relatives ran hotels all their lives. When my auntie went on holiday my mother and I had to run their hotel. It all comes down to trustworthy staff. If my mum and I let my father run our hotel then it would be bankrupt in less than a month. Not a nice man so everyone would steal when my mother was not there. That's why I like this job, only me to blame and no one can steal from my business. Like a taxi driver it must be one of the most flexible jobs going around. Many of my customers are on benefits and these are my best customers which folk don't understand. Raining this morning so did a bank run, priced an outside painting job and collected fencing for one of my customers new fence. Everything just seems to fit together but the van is paramount to my business success.

Many of my customers are on benefits and these are my best customers which folk don't understand.
:ROFLMAO: you as a tax payer that's if you've stepped beyond the hobbyist phase and are paying any tax yet are paying their benefits only for them to hand you you're money back, seriously the :poop: you spout at times I have to bite once in a while

:ROFLMAO: you as a tax payer that's if you've stepped beyond the hobbyist phase and are paying any tax yet are paying their benefits only for them to hand you you're money back, seriously the :poop: you spout at times I have to bite once in a while
Honestly, the benefit system is great if you know how to fill the forms in. We must be more literata up here. ???

Well back on the topic anyway ! I think that's pros and cons definitely, obviously for example going travelling 3 4 5 times a year is a big benefit by employing, however do you really need to stretch out and have more vans for that lifestyle? A single operation potentially can give you a very vast income that you can only need to manage,

On the other hand working alone having low living costs investing your money into property Which I also done previously, my previous idea was to invest in property and keep working alone but then I started to realise how much more money is involved if you have the work and employ.. also property can be up and down one year you have a lot of running costs etc and the next year you don't..

My point about that would be working alone perhaps having some property investments going on holiday anyway maintaining a moderate customer base having your property income supplement you when you're away you don't employ anyone to cover your work and you don't employ anyone full stop!

I think both of these long-term plans can work and even if you don't invest in property or have a secondary income you can still work 3 months go away for 2 weeks if that was your goal of course!

Well back on the topic anyway ! I think that's pros and cons definitely, obviously for example going travelling 3 4 5 times a year is a big benefit by employing, however do you really need to stretch out and have more vans for that lifestyle? A single operation potentially can give you a very vast income that you can only need to manage,

On the other hand working alone having low living costs investing your money into property Which I also done previously, my previous idea was to invest in property and keep working alone but then I started to realise how much more money is involved if you have the work and employ.. also property can be up and down one year you have a lot of running costs etc and the next year you don't..

My point about that would be working alone perhaps having some property investments going on holiday anyway maintaining a moderate customer base having your property income supplement you when you're away you don't employ anyone to cover your work and you don't employ anyone full stop!

I think both of these long-term plans can work and even if you don't invest in property or have a secondary income you can still work 3 months go away for 2 weeks if that was your goal of course!
If you are going to employ having good staff is the key to success they aren’t easy to find . As for investing in property that’s also a very sensible thing prices will fluctuate but buying property is a long term investment not a short term profit .

If you are going to employ having good staff is the key to success they aren’t easy to find . As for investing in property that’s also a very sensible thing prices will fluctuate but buying property is a long term investment not a short term profit .
Yes that was my initial business structure essentially a separate business being rental income outside of this one, The reason was I felt employing etc trusting staff and a time was a big challenge. However being now an experience landlord I've also realised that you can't exactly go to Brazil and act like you're this landlord meanwhile agents they only pass on information call you up and tell you you have a leak or you have a problem or you have a tenant not paying rent.. It's not really ever full management the way it's supposed to be so I ended up expanding the business further I mean the window cleaning!

I've also exited the market on a couple of places and reduced my liability to the new rules that are coming into effect now! Where it will be harder to evict,

If rental was easier I would have stuck with that but it's actually not and it can be sometimes hard to make a profit depending on various factors. For me It was all the rigmarole and these tenants they want it fixed tomorrow or the same day so living the dream sometimes isn't the case! As a landlord You do usually need a trading business or a job or whatever! I like to be realistic about the whole property thing a lot of people try to big it up it's not cut out what it used to be But obviously it should give you some extra income and some stability

Yes that was my initial business structure essentially a separate business being rental income outside of this one, The reason was I felt employing etc trusting staff and a time was a big challenge. However being now an experience landlord I've also realised that you can't exactly go to Brazil and act like you're this landlord meanwhile agents they only pass on information call you up and tell you you have a leak or you have a problem or you have a tenant not paying rent.. It's not really ever full management the way it's supposed to be so I ended up expanding the business further I mean the window cleaning!

I've also exited the market on a couple of places and reduced my liability to the new rules that are coming into effect now! Where it will be harder to evict,

If rental was easier I would have stuck with that but it's actually not and it can be sometimes hard to make a profit depending on various factors. For me It was all the rigmarole and these tenants they want it fixed tomorrow or the same day so living the dream sometimes isn't the case! As a landlord You do usually need a trading business or a job or whatever! I like to be realistic about the whole property thing a lot of people try to big it up it's not cut out what it used to be But obviously it should give you some extra income and some stability
I rent out a couple of properties which are fully managed they just email me to let me know what’s going on ,again this is very similar to employing a large part of renting without issue is having good tenants and well maintained properties and not allowing stuff to fall into disrepair, I don't go away for long periods but don’t feel this would be a problem if I did . I think with all the changes it’s easier to let a management company sort it all out as there are more and more hoops to jump through I still feel it’s the safest investment for retirement planning though . Looking to get another one once I have sold off a load of work . Years ago it was relatively easy to manage it yourself but now it’s far more involved for 8-10% charge I feel this is well worth the expense as don’t have to do a thing apart from choosing new tenants luckily the ones I have are long term and good as gold .

Latest Posts

Back