Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My first window cleaning job experience/ nightmare

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I had one a few weeks ago which was my first paying customer.
Alarms bells were ringing from the beginning but I chose to ignore them, I was happy to have my first customer so thought let me get going and not make excuses - live & learn.
The windows looked like they hadn't been done in months, dust and spider webs everywhere.

Knock on the door, customer opens the door (all internal walls stained from nicotine) and starts explaining that his old window cleaner hasn't cleaned his windows in months and he has seen him doing the other neighbours houses but doesn't come to do his windows

Goes on telling me how much he wanted to pay me. "He use to charge me £7 but I was happy to pay him £10, I just want them cleaned."

I told him I needed to have a look around and get back to him with a price, went round the back and the weeds were about 4ft high everywhere, weeds in the paths, overgrown - my brain was telling me to avoid like the plague, but as I said earlier, I wanted to get going.

Finally I told him I would clean his windows for £15 every 4 weeks, proceeds to tell me, he's on benefits, health issues and other excuses - he knocked me down to £12 and Im happy to have my first paying customer.

Get my pole out and get going - go over them twice, nicotine running out the air vents as I go, pulled out "Scottish windows cleaning favourite pvc cleaner" and get the sills looking like new - front door done all good, all the while am thinking to myself I have to charge for a first clean from now on.

Pack up everything and go knock on the front door - customer opens the door and starts shouting at me that I'm not finished the windows aren't dry - I feel a dark mist surrounding me and walk away telling him ill be back in 5 minutes - I return 10 minutes later having calmed down go around looking to see if i've missed anything, wiping any water with a multifibre.

Knock on the door again, the son opens the door this time, with dad sitting in the background rolling up a cigarette (he's not talking to me now, making his young son do the dirty work for him).
Son says to me "My dad says the upstairs windows haven't been dried because you don't have a ladder."

As I start walking away towards the front gate before I commit a murder - the son says "Ohh, my dad says he doesn't want you doing his windows anymore."

I told the son I hadnt been paid and that I dont want any customers like your dad.

Happy days!!! I did get paid eventually
You’re angry with him because
A) He smokes
B) He hasn’t done his garden
C) He’s not telepathic
D) He doesn’t know the difference between pure and tap water
E) You didn’t charge for a first clean

There’s a pattern here ?.
I’m not having a go mate but my advice is you need to communicate better.

You’re angry with him because
A) He smokes
B) He hasn’t done his garden
C) He’s not telepathic
D) He doesn’t know the difference between pure and tap water
E) You didn’t charge for a first clean

There’s a pattern here ?.
I’m not having a go mate but my advice is you need to communicate better.
Will take your advice on board Big Dunc!!! ? (y)
Thanks.

Latest Posts

Back