Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pics of where your tank splits for 2 pumps

WCF

Help Support WCF:

matt1458

I know this seems to get asked about every 7 minutes at the moment, but I’m converting the van next weekend to a 2 reel, 2 pump, 2 controller setup.

Pretty sure I’ve got what I want to do planned out, but cant decide how you 2 operator guys split your single tank feed into two outlets.

(Probably over thinking this) but not sure if a “Y” type splitter is better than a “tee”, and I'm assuming I want to keep a bigger bore (the 1” side from the tank”) then reduce the bore down when I split the feed into 2…

Plumbing is essentially witchcraft to me so I really don’t want to have to do this a second time.

Anyone got any pics of their 2 pump setup and how they split the water feed?

Cheers!

It's not the best picy but it might give you an idea. It's a tee piece not a Y but seems to work OK. If I had installed it I would have put a filter on each pump and an isolating valve on the tank outlet as I have to have an empty tank to clean the filter but that's a 'professional installation from Streamline' !
The outlet from the tank is connected to a Tee - 1 side to a tap and hoselock the other to the filter (right by red pipe) then to a 90 bend (white) then feeding the tee of the split. Both pump inlets come from bottom (left side of pump) and both outlets (right side of pump) go up then feed the dual DI's, then out to van ports via a tap on each.
Hope that helps.
TwinPumps.jpg

It's not the best picy but it might give you an idea. It's a tee piece not a Y but seems to work OK. If I had installed it I would have put a filter on each pump and an isolating valve on the tank outlet as I have to have an empty tank to clean the filter but that's a 'professional installation from Streamline' !
The outlet from the tank is connected to a Tee - 1 side to a tap and hoselock the other to the filter (right by red pipe) then to a 90 bend (white) then feeding the tee of the split. Both pump inlets come from bottom (left side of pump) and both outlets (right side of pump) go up then feed the dual DI's, then out to van ports via a tap on each.
Hope that helps.
View attachment 27037
Fit yourself a service valve just before the pumps. Simple enough to do.

To answer the OP, Grippatank feed from two separate lines for mine. This is good because it means it the van is at a funny angle and you're nearly out of water you usually have one working pump even when the first one goes. Prior to this my DIY system was all plumbed in using JG 1/2" tubing. Simple push fit stuff, never leaked. One outlet separated, as Doug suggests, right by the outlet using a 2 way splitter.

Hope that helps.
View attachment 27037
@ched999uk thank you for this, really helpful. Have adapted my plan slightly based on your pic just with a strainer on each pump.

As an aside, what are you using for hose between the tank outlet and the pumps? I didn’t set my van up the first time, but it’s similar 13mm x 18mm black hose. Can’t work out if I need to try and source this stuff again or if just normal hose will be alright.. this Ldpe hose stuff seems to be a flippin fortune

@ched999uk thank you for this, really helpful. Have adapted my plan slightly based on your pic just with a strainer on each pump.

As an aside, what are you using for hose between the tank outlet and the pumps? I didn’t set my van up the first time, but it’s similar 13mm x 18mm black hose. Can’t work out if I need to try and source this stuff again or if just normal hose will be alright.. this Ldpe hose stuff seems to be a flippin fortune
I didn't set the van up. I bought it all fitted out for the same price as an empty van!!! It was installed by Streamline so it's their hose.
I think I would have used this sort of stuff: clear braided PVC hose that way you can see if there is any air in the hose and the reinforcing stops it collapsing especially round corners.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't set the van up. I bought it all fitted out for the same price as an empty van!!! It was installed by Streamline so it's their hose.
I think I would have used this sort of stuff: clear braided PVC hose that way you can see if there is any air in the hose and the reinforcing stops it collapsing especially round corners.
Perfect that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

So I think I have it sorted, 1” 90 degree elbow straight out of the tank (unavoidable as it’s a 650 litre flat tank against the bulkhead) straight into a 3/4” Y, which feeds 2 x 13mm hoses (with individual full bore ball valves for independent shutoff) to the pumps (strainer immediately before each pump) and then out to 2 reels.

Most of the bits I ordered turned up today and remarkably they fit eachother.

Now just to nail it all together ?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Perfect that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

So I think I have it sorted, 1” 90 degree elbow straight out of the tank (unavoidable as it’s a 650 litre flat tank against the bulkhead) straight into a 3/4” Y, which feeds 2 x 13mm hoses (with individual full bore ball valves for independent shutoff) to the pumps (strainer immediately before each pump) and then out to 2 reels.

Most of the bits I ordered turned up today and remarkably they fit eachother.

Now just to nail it all together ?
Nails are not the best way to attach everything ? .
Where did you get the other bits as I find it difficult getting good quality fittings and shuttoffs.

I know this seems to get asked about every 7 minutes at the moment, but I’m converting the van next weekend to a 2 reel, 2 pump, 2 controller setup.

Pretty sure I’ve got what I want to do planned out, but cant decide how you 2 operator guys split your single tank feed into two outlets.

(Probably over thinking this) but not sure if a “Y” type splitter is better than a “tee”, and I'm assuming I want to keep a bigger bore (the 1” side from the tank”) then reduce the bore down when I split the feed into 2…

Plumbing is essentially witchcraft to me so I really don’t want to have to do this a second time.

Anyone got any pics of their 2 pump setup and how they split the water feed?

Cheers!
We have a 4 way half inch splitter. So half inch from tank to spiller. A half Inc out so we can fill backpack in under 20 seconds with just gravity.

Then reduces to go to our pumps via standard braided hose.

Edit it may be 3/4 inch it's been a few years and can't remember what's default size out of tank

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_212241.jpg
    IMG_20220614_212241.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Nails are not the best way to attach everything ? .
Where did you get the other bits as I find it difficult getting good quality fittings and shuttoffs.
Managed to get everything else with a combination of orders from BES.co.uk | Next Day Delivery On 15,000 + Plumbing Supplies and Marine Products, Boat Parts and Spares | ASAP Supplies - used them once before for bits when I added a switchable feed for diluted hypo and theirs seems like good quality stuff.

Both their websites take a bit of time to find what you’re looking for (the searches are great) but between them they seem to have most things covered.

I’ll grab a photo of everything in place once I’ve sellotaped it all together at the weekend

We have a 4 way half inch splitter. So half inch from tank to spiller. A half Inc out so we can fill backpack in under 20 seconds with just gravity.

Then reduces to go to our pumps via standard braided hose.

Edit it may be 3/4 inch it's been a few years and can't remember what's default size out of tank
4 way is a good idea for filling backpack.. and as an option for draining tank I’d imagine.. might have to look into that as well as we currently have no easy way to drain the tank should if needed, other than turning the van upside down and shaking it

Hi guys , and ladies was just wondering can you run a two man system of one outlet at the bottom of the tank if you get a hose splitter thing ?

Need to try and get on top of my work and would be handy for certain days also if I have a two man system extra reliability.

Cheers Matt steel

Back