Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problem customer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well today a got the blame for scratching a car with ma hose, clearly see someone has scraped there bumper along it but customer doesn't believe e me , told him you can clearly see some one has done thus with a car or van , hence the customer canceled and said he gonna take thus further , any advice as we can clearly see and know a reach and wash hose could not do this damage
It's not up to you to prove you didn't do it it's up to him to prove you did do it which you obviously haven't so don't worry about it. He'd have to take you to the small claims court and with no evidence he would lose and that would be more expensive for him than getting the bumper repaired. He's just trying it on. Most of us have had customers who try it on, just ignore.

Pain - might be worth just seeing if they or any neighbours have any doorcam or cctv covering the car at the time you were onsite - could prove your innocence and even show it was already there or the offenders vehicle - probably your customers other half or the DPD driver!

We got blamed for cracking a small French pane on a customers living room window. He called us up two weeks after we cleaned them.

He didn't know that we did it, he just assumed it must have been us. I spoke to the window cleaner who did the job, and he assured me he didn't cause the damage.

I assured him on the phone that we didnt cause the damage, and his attidtude was 'well your going to say that arent you!', I told him taking responsibility for accidental damage is always regarded as cheaper than any damage to our reputation if we didn't, however we won't take responsibility for damage that we didn't cause as a mater of principle. We lost the customer and good riddance. I can't work for someone that tries that on, my reputation is too important to me. Its not OK to just accuse people without evidence. We cleaned his windows for years, and got absolutely no benift of the doubt what so ever. He just convinced himself it was us, and took a horrendous attitude on the phone with us.

He called us up a day after a large fireworks display where there would have been crowds of kids around his street. But it must have been us two weeks prior.

I have replaced entire windows for customers when we have caused damage, we will always make it right when we are responsible.

Well today a got the blame for scratching a car with ma hose, clearly see someone has scraped there bumper along it but customer doesn't believe e me , told him you can clearly see some one has done thus with a car or van , hence the customer canceled and said he gonna take thus further , any advice as we can clearly see and know a reach and wash hose could not do this damage
I sadly wear a gopro chest hardness and gopro camera to mitigate these blame game customers. Most of my customers know I make videos or capture photos for future advertising material and have no issues with me recording my work.

When I meet a customer for the first time such as a quote or site inspection I tell them I wear a camera and explain how I capture my work and also it protects me from liabilities.

When you are placed in this position of distrust you need to remain ultra calm and professional, before you open your mouth think long and hard. Gather information, look at the aforementioned damage and think !!

Most of the time they are playing a dangerous game and other times never check their vehicles or instantaneously put 2 & 2 together to make a cleaning operative

It’s clearly been done by something vertical that was stationary. The marks at the top and bottom were done at the same time, they have the same direction pattern and when it gets to the edge of the door it’s been smoothing the shape out flat and when it hits the edge it leaves that crease because the edge is the strongest part.

Probably pulling out of a spot with a pillar or bollard next to it! My ex wife did the same thing!

We got blamed for cracking a small French pane on a customers living room window. He called us up two weeks after we cleaned them.

He didn't know that we did it, he just assumed it must have been us. I spoke to the window cleaner who did the job, and he assured me he didn't cause the damage.

I assured him on the phone that we didnt cause the damage, and his attidtude was 'well your going to say that arent you!', I told him taking responsibility for accidental damage is always regarded as cheaper than any damage to our reputation if we didn't, however we won't take responsibility for damage that we didn't cause as a mater of principle. We lost the customer and good riddance. I can't work for someone that tries that on, my reputation is too important to me. Its not OK to just accuse people without evidence. We cleaned his windows for years, and got absolutely no benift of the doubt what so ever. He just convinced himself it was us, and took a horrendous attitude on the phone with us.

He called us up a day after a large fireworks display where there would have been crowds of kids around his street. But it must have been us two weeks prior.

I have replaced entire windows for customers when we have caused damage, we will always make it right when we are responsible.

I would have went and had a look myself and looked at the damage then made a decision. You can't assure anyone that your worker didn't do the damage solely on your workers word. I always go and have a look, sometimes workers tell lies.

I would have went and had a look myself and looked at the damage then made a decision. You can't assure anyone that your worker didn't do the damage solely on your workers word. I always go and have a look, sometimes workers tell lies.
I did call out to the customers property to inspect the damage, and they werent in which is why I called him on the phone. The worker is also a member of my family thats been with me for over 10 years. It would have cost £50 to replace. Not a big deal. Any time an employee damages something I always take care of it. No cost to the employees. Accidents do happen. Its not there risk. So I am 100% certain they didn't cause the damage. The customer would have noticed and called us sooner than two weeks later also.

Last edited:
I did call out to the customers property to inspect the damage, and they werent in which is why I called him on the phone. The worker is also a member of my family thats been with me for over 10 years. It would have cost £50 to replace. Not a big deal. Any time an employee damages something I always take care of it. No cost to the employees. Accidents do happen. Its not there risk. So I am 100% certain they didn't cause the damage. The customer would have noticed and called us sooner than two weeks later also.

Although it's unlikely it was him, unless you were there and witnessed it you can't be 100% certain.

Used to hate if I had an issue with a company and there reply was something along the lines of no no our employees don't do that, or the employee has said he didn't damage item etc.

Happened with a parcel of mine, item was in bits when I opened it, delivery company were taking nothing to do with it and driver said it was left at the bottom of my steps and he was aware he had to be carefully as had fragile on it.

I then asked for the email address so I could send video of the driver leaving it at the bottom of my stairs, I said what he's failing to tell you is he had originally left it flat the top of my stairs until it fall back down them, then he placed it there.

Although it's unlikely it was him, unless you were there and witnessed it you can't be 100% certain.

Used to hate if I had an issue with a company and there reply was something along the lines of no no our employees don't do that, or the employee has said he didn't damage item etc.

Happened with a parcel of mine, item was in bits when I opened it, delivery company were taking nothing to do with it and driver said it was left at the bottom of my steps and he was aware he had to be carefully as had fragile on it.

I then asked for the email address so I could send video of the driver leaving it at the bottom of my stairs, I said what he's failing to tell you is he had originally left it flat the top of my stairs until it fall back down them, then he placed it there.
Picture says it all tbh, can't of been him

I appreciate what your saying. But I won't take responsibility for things we didn't cause. I get it would keep the customer happy if we did, but it wouldn't be fair if we were held responsible for damage that we didn't cause.

I am a firm beleiver making it right when you don't delivery good customer service, but if you adopt the policy of just taking the blame, people will rip you off. Not every customer is honest.

I have heard of people successfully making false injury claims for thousands against business, you dont want to be a victim of this kind of thing. Have clear policies and insurance in place. If your responsible take care of it. If not, its not your problem. If they take you to court, they will require some proof, not just their unfounded assumptions.

I appreciate what your saying. But I won't take responsibility for things we didn't cause. I get it would keep the customer happy if we did, but it wouldn't be fair if we were held responsible for damage that we didn't cause.

I am a firm beleiver making it right when you don't delivery good customer service, but if you adopt the policy of just taking the blame, people will rip you off. Not every customer is honest.

I have heard of people successfully making false injury claims for thousands against business, you dont want to be a victim of this kind of thing. Have clear policies and insurance in place. If your responsible take care of it. If not, its not your problem. If they take you to court, they will require some proof, not just their unfounded assumptions.
Quite agree if you didn’t cause the damage/ issue fight your corner 👍

Back