Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Recently upgraded to Gardiner pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rob007

Hi Friends,

I decided to upgrade my pole .My first pole  ever is from   The Cleaning Warehouse,Hybrid Pole 18 ,It lasted me 3 years  but I need a bit longer  and more rigid pole to reach above conservatories and extentions so I decided to buy Gardiner extreme 22 .it is a different pole.Very  ridig  pole very different what I have been used to .

My biggest problem I have is that clamps are opening/closing the other way round than on my old pole and I really struggle to get use to it. I wonder  if Alex from Gardiner is not thinking to have to options for his poles so we are able to chose which way clamps will open .I do not see any other company offering this option at the moment on the market.This may be a tip for Alex to have this option when buying a new poles in the future?

Hi Friends,

I decided to upgrade my pole .My first pole  ever is from   The Cleaning Warehouse,Hybrid Pole 18 ,It lasted me 3 years  but I need a bit longer  and more rigid pole to reach above conservatories and extentions so I decided to buy Gardiner extreme 22 .it is a different pole.Very  ridig  pole very different what I have been used to .

My biggest problem I have is that clamps are opening/closing the other way round than on my old pole and I really struggle to get use to it. I wonder  if Alex from Gardiner is not thinking to have to options for his poles so we are able to chose which way clamps will open .I do not see any other company offering this option at the moment on the market.This may be a tip for Alex to have this option when buying a new poles in the future?
If you tag him in this he will hopefully see it  @Alex Gardiner 

Hi Friends,

You'll get used to them. Same as driving a different vehicle. My van has a left side pedal to apply the parking brake and a right side hand release.
A crazy idea I still think but it is what it is and I just had to get used to it.  Nothing crazy about the Gardiner clamps they're just different to what you're used to. You won't even think about it after a week I'd say.

Probably a silly suggestion but you could maybe try having the clamps under the pole as that way they open the same way as your old pole?
Trouble is @ched999ukthey'd be more prone to snagging on gutters and the like and getting damaged.

Hi Friends,

It is generally a case of getting used to the new setup - the analogy of a new car is a good one. After a week or so you will find they are second nature. Are you right or left handed? This video shows the technique for using these clamps whichever 'handing' you are.

If the pole is new it is worth making sure that you tighten the clamps up properly for initial use to ensure the best grip and life on the pole - here is a video guide to do this.

As this is your first Xtreme pole you will need to also make sure that you clean and maintain it very carefully to ensure the least wear and longest life from it - it will not be as hard wearing or robust as a standard carbon or hybrid pole. Here is a video guide on removing sections to clean and service when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Friends,

My son is left-handed, and he has no issue with the Gardiner smart clamps. Neither do I, being right-handed.

If memory serves me, a cleaner on the other popular forum made the same suggestion many years ago. Alex's response then was that his father was left-handed, and he had no issue operating the clamps. As @Alex Gardiner says, in time you will get used to them and operating them will become second nature.

When this topic came up all those years ago, I casually asked my son if he would like clamps that operated the other way to make his life easier. His answer was the clamps were fine the way they are, so he didn't want them changed. He wasn't influenced by the forum thread, as he never reads the forums. He thought I was genuinely offering to upgrade the clamps on his pole to suit him.?

It is generally a case of getting used to the new setup - the analogy of a new car is a good one. After a week or so you will find they are second nature. Are you right or left handed? This video shows the technique for using these clamps whichever 'handing' you are.

If the pole is new it is worth making sure that you tighten the clamps up properly for initial use to ensure the best grip and life on the pole - here is a video guide to do this.

As this is your first Xtreme pole you will need to also make sure that you clean and maintain it very carefully to ensure the least wear and longest life from it - it will not be as hard wearing or robust as a standard carbon or hybrid pole. Here is a video guide on removing sections to clean and service when needed.
Thanks folks for your reply but you are  missing my point. 

I personally as a customer I don't want to get used to things I would like to have an option to chose from. 

Sadly None of the pole manufacturers offer an option whichever way you want your clamps open for some reason . I ask why? If I was a pole manufacturer I would read this comment and think about it. Let's Give customers an  option! 

Cheers

Speak soon

IMG_20210831_100136.jpg

I personally as a customer I don't want to get used to things I would like to have an option to chose from. 

Sadly None of the pole manufacturers offer an option whichever way you want your clamps open for some reason . I ask why? If I was a pole manufacturer I would read this comment and think about it. Let's Give customers an  option! 

Cheers

Speak soon

View attachment 25416
I am sure I have seen someone selling poles with reversible clamps, so good for leftys as well as rightys.

The problem with pole manufacturers is their is, relatively speaking a small market for poles. When you consider that a mould for each size clamp needs to be manufactured and these moulds cost thousands of pounds. So if you divide the mould cost per pole for left handed clamps by their expected sales the cost of the pole would go through the roof.

I am sure Alex and other manufacturers would love the costs of mould manufacturing was significantly less as it must be quite an upfront investment. I bet they have lots of stuff they would love to bring to market but the production costs are just too high for the number they predict they would sell.

Sorry that doesn't help you, but I am sure there is a pole manufacturer with reversible clamps.

I am sure I have seen someone selling poles with reversible clamps, so good for leftys as well as rightys.

The problem with pole manufacturers is their is, relatively speaking a small market for poles. When you consider that a mould for each size clamp needs to be manufactured and these moulds cost thousands of pounds. So if you divide the mould cost per pole for left handed clamps by their expected sales the cost of the pole would go through the roof.

I am sure Alex and other manufacturers would love the costs of mould manufacturing was significantly less as it must be quite an upfront investment. I bet they have lots of stuff they would love to bring to market but the production costs are just too high for the number they predict they would sell.

Sorry that doesn't help you, but I am sure there is a pole manufacturer with reversible clamps.
Yes absolutely  profit margins and cost of productions are what makes business business. I personally would still make an option of window cleaning clamps for an extra charge so it's worthwhile to have it manufactured  and if a buyer wants it let him have it but for an extra charge though. 

Cheers

Speak soon

View attachment 25416
Firkin hell @Rob007you do come across as a bit of a princess in all fairness. I don't like the parking brake setup on my van but I can't see Mercedes Benz changing their design to suit me. Get over yourself man.
?

Cheers

Speak soon

View attachment 25416
Hi Rob

There are a couple of pole manufacturers that have reversible clamp levers - so if this is essential then they can be bought ?

Why haven't we done this?

There is the cost consideration, it would cost us about £35,000 to re-tool the clamp bodies and then the changes needed on the levers, shim and nut adjusters. So a change would not be undertaken lightly.

However this is not the main reason - the main reason is that by making the levers reversible it would compromise the operation and design of the clamps themselves. I would prefer to keep the focus that a single sided lever design allows for its operation. The smooth and reliable operation of the lever clamps on our poles has taken much work and design and is one of the reasons for the poles continuing popularity. Most clamps work well when new, keeping them working reliably 12 months down the road is trickier and design compromises can then come into play.

Firkin hell @Rob007you do come across as a bit of a princess in all fairness. I don't like the parking brake setup on my van but I can't see Mercedes Benz changing their design to suit me. Get over yourself man.
?
I can understand where @Rob007is coming from. Lefties don't have many options when it comes to equipment especially designed for them and the stuff that is available is very expensive due to low demand and high manufacturing costs. Unfortunately for them, left handed people account for around 10% of the population leaving 90% of us as right handed. As @ched999uksays, its just not economically viable for a manufacturer to cater for such a small market considering how expensive dies are that are needed to manufacturer those components.

I know, I meant no insult. That's the last thing I would want to do. It just struck me as funny. ?

I can understand where @Rob007is coming from. Lefties don't have many options when it comes to equipment especially designed for them and the stuff that is available is very expensive due to low demand and high manufacturing costs. Unfortunately for them, left handed people account for around 10% of the population leaving 90% of us as right handed. As @ched999uksays, its just not economically viable for a manufacturer to cater for such a small market considering how expensive dies are that are needed to manufacturer those components.
As a lefty though (and I mean proper lefty, not just writing with my left hand) I have never had an issue with the Gardiner clamps. You just learn to work it for yourself. Honestly before this post I had never even thought about it!

Hi Rob

There are a couple of pole manufacturers that have reversible clamp levers - so if this is essential then they can be bought ?

Why haven't we done this?

There is the cost consideration, it would cost us about £35,000 to re-tool the clamp bodies and then the changes needed on the levers, shim and nut adjusters. So a change would not be undertaken lightly.

However this is not the main reason - the main reason is that by making the levers reversible it would compromise the operation and design of the clamps themselves. I would prefer to keep the focus that a single sided lever design allows for its operation. The smooth and reliable operation of the lever clamps on our poles has taken much work and design and is one of the reasons for the poles continuing popularity. Most clamps work well when new, keeping them working reliably 12 months down the road is trickier and design compromises can then come into play.
Hi Alex, why can't you make a rubber insert around the inside of the clamp? Then when you throw the lever over it compresses the rubber onto the pole like pvc gutter joints?

While on the subject of pole design. What I would really like to see in pole evolution is some way of properly aligning the sections by feel without having to look at them. I'm thinking of some sort of key and cut-out similar to the one for the Gooseneck but less fierce. I visualise something like a small half moon spur on the lower section and a matching half moon cut-out on the upper section, the same thing on each section or clamp. This way when each pole section is collapsed, by giving a slight, gentle twist the clamps would all come into line without having to look, which would be quicker and easier too. (I hate messy looking, out of line clamps). Another reason for my suggestion is that our poles as with a lot of other people are stowed in tubes of gutter downpipe. A snug enough fit on a good day but a pain if they're out of line by more than a fraction.

I don't think anyone has done this yet. It would be something that I think might catch on. It'd be good to be the first and the original (Alex) if it's feasible. ?

Hi Alex, why can't you make a rubber insert around the inside of the clamp? Then when you throw the lever over it compresses the rubber onto the pole like pvc gutter joints?
Isn't that sort of what Phantom do. They have a soft plastic insert that the clamp acts on, I think. From what I have read they don't seem to be that popular, I wonder why?

While on the subject of pole design. What I would really like to see in pole evolution is some way of properly aligning the sections by feel without having to look at them. I'm thinking of some sort of key and cut-out similar to the one for the Gooseneck but less fierce. I visualise something like a small half moon spur on the lower section and a matching half moon cut-out on the upper section, the same thing on each section or clamp. This way when each pole section is collapsed, by giving a slight, gentle twist the clamps would all come into line without having to look, which would be quicker and easier too. (I hate messy looking, out of line clamps). Another reason for my suggestion is that our poles as with a lot of other people are stowed in tubes of gutter downpipe. A snug enough fit on a good day but a pain if they're out of line by more than a fraction.

I don't think anyone has done this yet. It would be something that I think might catch on. It'd be good to be the first and the original (Alex) if it's feasible. ?
Use bigger diameter down pipes I have 84 mm I think it is and that makes all the difference 

Latest Posts

Back