Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Replacement pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CWC_999

I’m looking to replace my Gardiner CLX27, as a first pole it’s been a great piece of equipment which when it wears out I’m likely to have another.

The only trouble I’ve found with it, is when fully extended its very whippy, cut down the top section and it’s a far better tool.

I’ve recently picked up some work where I’m going to need a working reach of around 42ft.

My question is which pole would be a suitable upgrade without costing a fortune, and what brush is best to work with at this height?

I’ve started with Gardiner, and although not experienced any other makes I’m a believer of if it’s not broken don’t fix it, so I’m keen to stay with Gardiner, although I’d be interested to hear other opinions.

Thank you in anticipation

(@ Alex Gardiner can you give some guidance)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

An slx would probably be the next pole to move to, full carbon and will be less wippy probably be more expensive than a clx but well worth every penny. 

Others might have other suggestions as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Gardiner pole I owned was a CLX22 as that was all I could afford after I bought an SLX35 and my son his first SLX25 back in 2009. It was (still is) rather whippy when compared to the SLX22 I replaced it with. Its not used atm as it could do with new clamps. 

My next pole will probably be an SLX27. Currently I use an SLX22 as my every day pole which is 6 years old. (I've just sprayed another 2 coats of engine lacquer on it so it will hopefully be around for a while longer. I do that every 12 months.)

My son uses an SLX25 as his every day pole.

My SLX22 is sometimes fractionally too short for some new houses with the master bedroom in the attic but I have no problem with the SLX25.

We do have an SLX40 for those times when we need a longer pole.

As you say, we stick with the product we know and respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve recently purchased an slx pole and am great full I have, my previous pole was a budget streamline pole, hard working and got me started but as my work increased it took its tool on my body. Now I have an slx 18 I use that on all but a handful of jobs and my RSI have subsided. I realise your looking for a bigger pole than that but my advice would be buy the most rigid pole you can afford and the Gardiner range are a great tool. 

Thank you all for your input and replies.

Can I also ask in peoples experience :-
Is it best to buy a pole to reach the range I require (42ft ish) or buy a shorter pole and then add extensions to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

@Alex Gardiner any sound advice? Other option @CWC_999 would be to give them a ring/email. I reckon you would be better off getting a slx 22/25 and adding extensions, other option depending on budget would be an slx 22 and an extreme 47, a 47 slx type carbon fibre isn't exactly light...

@Clisty1989

Thanks for your reply.

I have already emailed Gardiner through their website, and unfortunately haven’t heard anything from them - which has surprised me as in the past they’ve always responded relatively quickly.

Hence the questioning on here, to find out others thoughts.

@Clisty1989

Thanks for your reply.

I have already emailed Gardiner through their website, and unfortunately haven’t heard anything from them - which has surprised me as in the past they’ve always responded relatively quickly.

Hence the questioning on here, to find out others thoughts.

Hi CWC_999

Not sure why you have not yet received a response from the website query - sometimes these messages do get lost in the 'ether', but rarely. However I will try and offer some advice.

The answer will lie in how often you will be working at 42ft.

42ft a lot of the time - Option 1

If you are planning on doing a lot of work at 42ft then there is no better telescopic pole than the Xtreme47 as a purpose designed high level pole. Then you could couple this with an SLX22 pole for everyday use. This would be a great combo but would set you back about £1290+VAT

42ft a fair amount - Option 2

If you want the convenience of two separate poles, but without the outlay of option 1- an SLX22 for everyday use and then a Super-Max 45 series-2 for the high level work. Total Cost £805+VAT

42ft only a small amount - Option 3

If you only need to reach 42ft occasionally then an SLX pole with extensions would be far more cost effective. If you look at an SLX25 as an everyday pole you could then add an SLX replacement section #6 and a SMAX 3K Triple Extension Pack #7-9 and this would give you a 43ft pole with good rigidity. Total Cost - £580+VAT

Hi CWC_999

Not sure why you have not yet received a response from the website query - sometimes these messages do get lost in the 'ether', but rarely. However I will try and offer some advice.

The answer will lie in how often you will be working at 42ft.

42ft a lot of the time - Option 1
If you are planning on doing a lot of work at 42ft then there is no better telescopic pole than the Xtreme47 as a purpose designed high level pole. Then you could couple this with an SLX22 pole for everyday use. This would be a great combo but would set you back about £1290+VAT

42ft a fair amount - Option 2
If you want the convenience of two separate poles, but without the outlay of option 1- an SLX22 for everyday use and then a Super-Max 45 series-2 for the high level work. Total Cost £805+VAT

42ft only a small amount - Option 3
If you only need to reach 42ft occasionally then an SLX pole with extensions would be far more cost effective. If you look at an SLX25 as an everyday pole you could then add an SLX replacement section #6 and a SMAX 3K Triple Extension Pack #7-9 and this would give you a 43ft pole with good rigidity. Total Cost - £580+VAT

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response, and options - options which I hadn’t even considered - and make the muddy water dirtier [emoji23]

This pole business is a complex world.

So just to clarify before hit the ‘buy button’

Extension poles are interchangeable between models - as the website doesn’t indicate this?

The website say that the smax triple will fit on to a smax 27?

(May seem like a stupid question, but I just like to be right)

And then there’s the old saga of ‘goosenecks’ getting stuck in place - what can be done to prevent this as the last thing I want is get on a job wanting to add a section and can’t remove the gooseneck........

Would a carbon gooseneck help?

Also which brush is the easiest to handle at height?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your help.

CWC_999

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response, and options - options which I hadn’t even considered - and make the muddy water dirtier
emoji23.png

Extension poles are interchangeable between models - as the website doesn’t indicate this?

And then there’s the old saga of ‘goosenecks’ getting stuck in place - what can be done to prevent this as the last thing I want is get on a job wanting to add a section and can’t remove the gooseneck........

CWC_999

I am away from my desk currently. If you can email me this query as above to my email [email protected] I can forward on to the Customer Service Team to answer for you.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response, and options - options which I hadn’t even considered - and make the muddy water dirtier
emoji23.png

CWC_999

From my understanding, extensions do fit all Gardiner poles, extensions fit on bottom so no need to worry about goosenecks, all you do is remove end cap, and extreme brush, plastic angle adapter will be fine. 

From my understanding, extensions do fit all Gardiner poles, extensions fit on bottom so no need to worry about goosenecks, all you do is remove end cap, and extreme brush, plastic angle adapter will be fine. 
Totally agree as I have found they do, I have a old SMax a Series 2 Xtreme and a Slx 22 and have found all sections interchangeable and easily used.

I use my Xtreme 22 as my everyday pole and have 2 Slx extensions to suit the work I do as and when the extensions are required

County Durham Lad

Thank you all for your replies-
I went with Gardiner as that’s what I started with and know works well Alex’s option 3 arrived with the courier today pleased to see it was well packaged as looking at the box it looked as if it had been thrown around a lot!

All in one piece and undamaged I’m pleased to say.

Looking forward to using it.

Cheers

Latest Posts

Back