Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

soffit and fascia cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

I've been asked quite a few times now for this, and ive never done it before. How hard is it to do, and do i need any extra equipment other than the usual wfp stuff i use?

looks like a lot more scrubbing, but is there specific chemicals you need to use?
I use Screwfix degreaser but to get the most effect then it comes down to temperature of the water. I did a test with 3 degreasers and found the hotter the pure the easier it cleans and that's why having a hot water system really comes into its own.

I use a Gardiner backpack and a QUICK-LOQ SINGLE JET HOLDER with a 50 Degree jet and use 1:10 Ubik. I find a supreme brush works well as it's long bristles get behind the brackets and under the gutter. I tend to spray 2 sides then agitate the first then second, spray 3rd and 4th and then agitate them. Then I rinse it all down, then I go back over it all with a microfibre wrapped round the brush to get rid of the dirty water drips.
As for time it takes, it's a bit like windows the more you do the quicker you get.
You will feel your arms and shoulders a bit so I try and do them on a Friday so I have the weekend to recover :)

I use a Gardiner backpack and a QUICK-LOQ SINGLE JET HOLDER with a 50 Degree jet and use 1:10 Ubik. I find a supreme brush works well as it's long bristles get behind the brackets and under the gutter. I tend to spray 2 sides then agitate the first then second, spray 3rd and 4th and then agitate them. Then I rinse it all down, then I go back over it all with a microfibre wrapped round the brush to get rid of the dirty water drips.
As for time it takes, it's a bit like windows the more you do the quicker you get.
You will feel your arms and shoulders a bit so I try and do them on a Friday so I have the weekend to recover :)
Luckily I've got the Gardiner backpack now! I'll get the quick-loq ordered and some UBIK too. sounds like a lengthy process! I'm assuming people get the windows cleaned right after as all the dirty water splashing allover them?

I use Screwfix degreaser but to get the most effect then it comes down to temperature of the water. I did a test with 3 degreasers and found the hotter the pure the easier it cleans and that's why having a hot water system really comes into its own.
Do you have hot water system? I've been using screfix degreaser quite a lot since I was recommended it, game changer for me. Sped up my first cleans massively when some windows are cover in **** or the frames are extremely dirty

Do you have hot water system? I've been using screfix degreaser quite a lot since I was recommended it, game changer for me. Sped up my first cleans massively when some windows are cover in **** or the frames are extremely dirty
Yes but most of the time I use a few sets of ladders because I clear out the gutters at the same time. I use 2 ladder limbs and attach 2 buckets, one for debris and other to hold hotwater with degreaser and a few scrubbing pads in it. Once I have scrubbed the area then I will dry the area with one of Screwfix's blue clothes. I buy 50 blue cotton clothes for £35 from Screwfix and stock up on them. After the job is finished I have a dozen to put in washing machine on a short cycle. Hang them out to dry until I need them for my next job. I find this method works well with me and I can charge £100 to £200 per clean because I'm clearing out gutters at the same time. ?

Yes but most of the time I use a few sets of ladders because I clear out the gutters at the same time. I use 2 ladder limbs and attach 2 buckets, one for debris and other to hold hotwater with degreaser and a few scrubbing pads in it. Once I have scrubbed the area then I will dry the area with one of Screwfix's blue clothes. I buy 50 blue cotton clothes for £35 from Screwfix and stock up on them. After the job is finished I have a dozen to put in washing machine on a short cycle. Hang them out to dry until I need them for my next job. I find this method works well with me and I can charge £100 to £200 per clean because I'm clearing out gutters at the same time. ?
I need to come out with you for a day and be a skivvy and learn some stuff haha

Luckily I've got the Gardiner backpack now! I'll get the quick-loq ordered and some UBIK too. sounds like a lengthy process! I'm assuming people get the windows cleaned right after as all the dirty water splashing allover them?
Yes window clean at the end. I know some people include it in the price but tell the customer it's a FREE window clean ? .

I use a spare pole hose to connect backpack to the spray nozzle, that way I can switch between the 2 (pure or ubik).

Don't even think about using ladders - not worth the risk. I think @scottish cleaning service was in the fire service so should have been trained how to use ladders properly! I was trained to use ladders many years ago but I still don't think it's worth risking my life for a few ££.

We use either Virosol diluted 10-1 or hypo 7-1 both will soften any dirt and hypo will kill any algae or mould spores and make it easier to remove the dirt price it well and it’s a very nice earner

We use either Virosol diluted 10-1 or hypo 7-1 both will soften any dirt and hypo will kill any algae or mould spores and make it easier to remove the dirt price it well and it’s a very nice earner
How on earth do you stop your cloths getting destroyed by Hypo?

I just decanted 5lts from a 20lts drum today and managed to get a splash on an old tee shirt!

How on earth do you stop your cloths getting destroyed by Hypo?

I just decanted 5lts from a 20lts drum today and managed to get a splash on an old tee shirt!
We keep old polo shirts and jumpers on the van and just change them when doing a hypo job then put the new ones back on after but I agree it’s difficult to avoid getting it on yourself

When asked to do a facia and gutter clean, make sure you understand exactly what a customer means by gutter clean. Is it just the outsides they want cleaned or do they want the contents removed as well?

We have been caught by this before. For a newbie, clearing gutter contents will mean ladder work.
Clearing gutter contents cost a lot more than just cleaning the outside.

If you can also do gutter clearing then give them 2 prices.

When asked to do a facia and gutter clean, make sure you understand exactly what a customer means by gutter clean. Is it just the outsides they want cleaned or do they want the contents removed as well?

We have been caught by this before. For a newbie, clearing gutter contents will mean ladder work.
Clearing gutter contents cost a lot more than just cleaning the outside.

If you can also do gutter clearing then give them 2 prices.
I was caught out myself years ago from then on all quotes were given in writing and still are even if it's just a text or FB message FB or Whatsapp is better as I can archive the messages

Can you imagine what it would do to your eyes if it got in them.
We use face shields and glasses when applying it for scrubbing and rinsing just use glasses only once got a light splash in all the time of doing it it’s a weak mix on plastics anyway and when rinsing it’s very weak so no I’ll effects but always pays to be careful

You needed to do an experiment to realise hot water removes dirt faster than cold ?.

Fwiw it's easy enough to come off without hot water, your not really scrubbing hard. I put degreaser on it first though.

Latest Posts

Back