Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

SpinStopper

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Has anyone tried one of these -

Just build up the with worn section on the pole with araldite and sand round once the epoxy has cured.
I've done this on a couple of sections on my son's pole as he feels it's beneath him to adjust the clamps periodically.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How big of a problem is the spinning with the gardiner ? I use an ova8 I couldn’t imagine working with a pole that spins regardless of how light it is.

How big of a problem is the spinning with the gardiner ? I use an ova8 I couldn’t imagine working with a pole that spins regardless of how light it is.
This reply isn't targeted at you @Ocahan01

There is no problem with spinning on Gardiner poles. If there is a slip on one of the clamps, then tightening it half a turn solves the problem. My SLX pole is 3 years old and there is absolutely no wear on any of the sections caused from slippage. Generally, IMHO, spinning is hyperbole and is totally the wrong word used by some windies to describe slippage of sections on any round pole. It can be a marketing exaggeration used by a manufacturer/supplier to discredit a competitor's pole.

The Ova8 design isn't new. The late Peter Fogwill designed a pole with a lip something like 15 years ago. Streamline have just taken the concept and developed it further.

Last edited:
Hexagon pole would be the way forward but probably much more expensive to build. I was examining a wasps hive and it was made of small hexagon tubes, maybe stronger than round or easier for them to build them.

Hexagon pole would be the way forward but probably much more expensive to build. I was examining a wasps hive and it was made of small hexagon tubes, maybe stronger than round or easier for them to build them.
I believe the circle is the strongest shape as no matter what rotation you have it it's the same strength. A hex shape would be stronger at certain rotations, so to make it as strong as a circle more material would be needed.

Can`t imagine a hexagonal pole being very comfortable to hold with all those pointy bits. Got to say ova 8 has been most comfortable out of the two pole shapes round and oval.

A rubber o ring pushed up to the end of the section could help with it and also act as a shock absorber.
I agree though, when properly looked after, the Gardiner Poles don't suffer from spinning sections. I've finally worn out my clx27 from about 2015, the sections got so thin, most of the red was worn off leaving just the black underneath. And still no slipping of the clamps.
The funny thing is, I'm using a slx27 now and it's actually heavier because the sections were so worn on the clx! ?

A rubber o ring pushed up to the end of the section could help with it and also act as a shock absorber.
I agree though, when properly looked after, the Gardiner Poles don't suffer from spinning sections. I've finally worn out my clx27 from about 2015, the sections got so thin, most of the red was worn off leaving just the black underneath. And still no slipping of the clamps.
The funny thing is, I'm using a slx27 now and it's actually heavier because the sections were so worn on the clx! ?
I love those clxs. Value for money wise I don't think they can be beat. I've got a 4 foot clx. I've had a couple of years hardly any wear at all.

The Ova8 design isn't new. The late Peter Fogwill designed a pole with a lip something like 15 years ago. Streamline have just taken the concept and developed it further.
When Perry Tait was doing his promotion tour in the UK he visited a Peter along with Richard Everingham and forgotten the dudes name who did the window cleaning magazine.

I warned Peter to be careful as he had a few ideas up his sleeve plus he had the poles he didn’t get into market.

Later on you start to see posts from Richard Everingham promoting this new pole the OVA8.

Not pointing a finger but bit of a coincidence.

Don’t know the ins and outs of the OVA8 but Richard seemed to be the first then Streamline too over.

The issue with a non circular pole the strain is all one one side. With a circular the strain is less on the pole.

Have you ever see a non circular fishing pole!

Would be interesting those with Gardiner poles who complain about spinning do you change the shims as that should rectify it.

When Perry Tait was doing his promotion tour in the UK he visited a Peter along with Richard Everingham and forgotten the dudes name who did the window cleaning magazine.

I warned Peter to be careful as he had a few ideas up his sleeve plus he had the poles he didn’t get into market.

Later on you start to see posts from Richard Everingham promoting this new pole the OVA8.

Not pointing a finger but bit of a coincidence.

Don’t know the ins and outs of the OVA8 but Richard seemed to be the first then Streamline too over.

The issue with a non circular pole the strain is all one one side. With a circular the strain is less on the pole.

Have you ever see a non circular fishing pole!

Would be interesting those with Gardiner poles who complain about spinning do you change the shims as that should rectify it.
Lee Burbidge is his name from the Window Cleaning Magazine. Never quite understood why his video's introduction included smashing glass.

I'm glad you mentioned pole design. Whenever the Ova8 pole design is brought up, I go back to my final year at Gifford Technical College in Bulawayo. Our Science Master was brilliant, and we spent a number of lessons on the inherent strength of eggs, how they are so much stronger when compressed vertically than when they are compressed horizontally. In an engineering environment, many bridges built 100's of years ago still carry heavy vehicles today. strength of an egg.jpg

So depending on the design of the OVa8 pole, the pole will be very much stronger in one direction than the other. If the shape has minimal flex in the horizontal position, then odds will be it will be more whippy from side to side. But then again, the structure of the carbon fibre matting used could negate some of the flex.

I remember Peter was working on a clampless pole where the user would hold the pole up with the pole hose. Somewhere along the line wasn't he also working on a concept where you flicked the pole up?

I remember Peter was working on a clampless pole where the user would hold the pole up with the pole hose. Somewhere along the line wasn't he also working on a concept where you flicked the pole up?
He did produce a few and the concept was strange it did work. Basically you would flick the pole up to extend it then push it down to close. No levers involved.

The issue with current poles the clamp acts as sandpaper with grit you get on the pole hose. He was designing a clamp that would not wear the pole down.

I’ve often sat and thought the ice cream bikes we grew up with would make great wfp bikes. The issue is the weight and in the morning you would see the vendors struggle to cycle due to the weight. Then late afternoon you would see them racing each other ti get back to the depot as the trailer was lighter. I would electrify them to over come the weight issue. Has always been on my mind with a few modifications they would be a great bit of kit.

He did produce a few and the concept was strange it did work. Basically you would flick the pole up to extend it then push it down to close. No levers involved.

The issue with current poles the clamp acts as sandpaper with grit you get on the pole hose. He was designing a clamp that would not wear the pole down.

I’ve often sat and thought the ice cream bikes we grew up with would make great wfp bikes. The issue is the weight and in the morning you would see the vendors struggle to cycle due to the weight. Then late afternoon you would see them racing each other ti get back to the depot as the trailer was lighter. I would electrify them to over come the weight issue. Has always been on my mind with a few modifications they would be a great bit of kit.
There's someone who regularly posts in the Facebook groups, he may also be on here - I believe his company name is the Oxford Window Cleaning bicycle and he's done exactly that - a sign written electric bike that looks reminiscent of an old ice cream bike, certainly a USP!

It’s not a problem it only happens when the pole section is badly worn , sometimes it’s due to the fact that the shims need replacing , we have 27 of their poles and none of them are spinning.

Those Lyons and Dairy Maid ice cream vendors. Those were the good old days. :giggle:

There was a lady cleaner up your way who had a bicycle with a purpose built trailer. She managed with a small tank, a DI vessel and her necessary equipment. Sometimes had her young kiddy on board. She was certainly an inspiration for all of us. Thankfully, she later got herself a van setup. We haven't heard from her for a long time now.

Attachments

• 9e03d5e3dbfa02e6dd2db18b1fa244f3-48821392.jpg
    9e03d5e3dbfa02e6dd2db18b1fa244f3-48821392.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back