Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Successful employers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Quickwindowclean

Basically I'm still franchising parts of my business and marketing will start in a few days.

but there's a large part which I have to keep for myself as it's on my door step .

I've come to the realisation I do still need to have one employee running a separate van working for me. Otherwise I wont have a normal life.

If there's anyone out there who successfully employed I would love to have a conversation it's such a big shame if I were able to get around this I'm very good at gaining customers and maintaining customers but I cant get my head around employing 

Used to have one really good guy for 2 years.

Was totally put off by the others and now I just just keep wondering what if they don't return the van what if they don't answer their phone what if they don't go to work what if they miss represent me me so many questions I've got probably want to know if there's some sort of them really good contract out there too.

Although I am extremely grateful I do work hard as well and part of me is little bit disheartened because it was always a plan to run a business not to have some crazy 6 day a week job running around like mad working today as well need to work inbetween chirstmas and new year not for money but to keep the work as on time as possible...

If you have employed the definitely and you've got around where I am now let me know! 

Basically I'm still franchising parts of my business and marketing will start in a few days.

but there's a large part which I have to keep for myself as it's on my door step .

I've come to the realisation I do still need to have one employee running a separate van working for me. Otherwise I wont have a normal life.

If there's anyone out there who successfully employed I would love to have a conversation it's such a big shame if I were able to get around this I'm very good at gaining customers and maintaining customers but I cant get my head around employing 

Used to have one really good guy for 2 years.

Was totally put off by the others and now I just just keep wondering what if they don't return the van what if they don't answer their phone what if they don't go to work what if they miss represent me me so many questions I've got probably want to know if there's some sort of them really good contract out there too.

Although I am extremely grateful I do work hard as well and part of me is little bit disheartened because it was always a plan to run a business not to have some crazy 6 day a week job running around like mad working today as well need to work inbetween chirstmas and new year not for money but to keep the work as on time as possible...

If you have employed the definitely and you've got around where I am now let me know! 
Your going to after trust your judgment, it's not easy getting the right person. I've been through quite a few over the years! You will after trust them intimately. Pay them the best wage you can, maybe incorporate no complaints from customers bonus and not having any days off bonus. It might keep them more focused! But its a case of just going out working with them and then just trusting them that they are wanting a proper paid job with the benefits you can get from being in this industry. Flexibility on working hours overtime and so on. 

Best a luck.

I'd ask your customers if they knew of a decent, honest, hard working and conscientious person who's looking for a good well paid job. If you find one, then it's up to you to look after them. I'm just a little bit more than part time, and do as little as I can reasonably get away with, so that route would never be for me. If I did, then I'd use a bonus system to reward getting the work done, and doing it right. I have a lot of customers who've told me that, "my last window cleaner was fab, until he started sending young lads round, and all they were interested in was finishing early!" So a financial incentive may be better than an early finish....

When employing you have to take a step back and trust your staff ,I accept this takes time and finding the right ones isn’t always easy , all my staff I knew before they worked for me , try and get someone you know or a trusted friends recommendation this way it will help weed out the wasters . Contracts aren't really worth the paper they are written on  and trying to enforce them legally is difficult, time consuming, and very costly , your time would be better spent getting the right person none of my guys have complex contracts but there is mutual trust , I look after them they look after me and do what’s asked without winging and wining , I personally prefer older staff as all the younger ones 25 and below have proven to be unreliable, on their phones , and work shy . If it’s possible try and get ex services staff they are generally well disciplined , my guys are all ex fire service , ambulance, or police , all are trustworthy and work to the same level wether they are with me or working in their own . 

Basically do you think it's just a risk I have to take How do you let go?

I'll only need the one at least I know that now as upscale wise it will be franchise's and it'll sit so much better with me having them give a financial commitment.. however I do need one running the other van full time otherwise I'll worked to a bone . Currently late with 2 people from one van so...

Its letting go and someone taking a risk I guess..

When employing you have to take a step back and trust your staff ,I accept this takes time and finding the right ones isn’t always easy , all my staff I knew before they worked for me , try and get someone you know or a trusted friends recommendation this way it will help weed out the wasters . Contracts aren't really worth the paper they are written on  and trying to enforce them legally is difficult, time consuming, and very costly , your time would be better spent getting the right person none of my guys have complex contracts but there is mutual trust , I look after them they look after me and do what’s asked without winging and wining , I personally prefer older staff as all the younger ones 25 and below have proven to be unreliable, on their phones , and work shy . If it’s possible try and get ex services staff they are generally well disciplined , my guys are all ex fire service , ambulance, or police , all are trustworthy and work to the same level wether they are with me or working in their own . 
Yes I remember you said this before thank you. So I suppose you a bit fortunate with the people you've got but if you never had them and you had to get someone random how would you get around the fact this person could potentially screw up some of your round as you're not present and you're leaving them to do  it

I'll only need the one at least I know that now as upscale wise it will be franchise's and it'll sit so much better with me having them give a financial commitment.. however I do need one running the other van full time otherwise I'll worked to a bone . Currently late with 2 people from one van so...

Yes I remember you said this before thank you. So I suppose you a bit fortunate with the people you've got but if you never had them and you had to get someone random how would you get around the fact this person could potentially screw up some of your round as you're not present and you're leaving them to do  it
As I said try and find someone that you know to recommend them , they would be silly to work for you and then rip you off as they would then end up with no job . Offer some sort of bonus incentive to keep them keen , you know the work so know how long it should take to do it , I don’t want to be rude but don’t think everyone out there is trying to rip you off, some will but most wont . 

As a business grows you cannot do everything, I remember when I first employed I had a few customers phone up complaining that someone else had cleaned their windows , I asked if there was a problem with the clean , they said no but I want you to do my windows, I explained I cannot do everything , long storey short I ended up dumping a few customers  every clean they were moaning that someone else was now cleaning their  windows but the clean was fine , again this is part of expansion , you have to trust employees but it will take time to build that up , this is again why I always take on ones I already know as that trust is already there . It will take you  a while to get used to this change as the business has been your baby and now you will have to share it with others . 

Try and think about what risks there are then try and mitigate them.

i.e. vehicle tracking - might help you see how long they are taking on each job and where they are - but you should tell them the vehicle has tracking on!

Train them up to your standards and maybe go and check random jobs after they are on their own, again tell them you are going to do this.

Money is a good incentive to some people but not all! Some people would prefer to work through lunch and finish early. You need to work out how to ensure they do a good job and don't get any call backs - maybe call backs are added to their day (but watch minimum pay - I assume you will pay over min wage so should be fine) maybe call backs reduce bonus etc.

You can only mitigate some risks but try and make the risks as low as possible. Good communications is also important, don't just tell them to do something but also why they are doing it.

Good luck.

Thanks guys yeah like I say the other guy George who was fantastic and we became friends we treated each other really well both of us you got a big bonus from me for Christmas it was three of us now resorted to just 2 of us. At the moment it's not really fun in anyway off completely rushed off our feet ..

but I just thought it's normal to get someone to replace him that was a massive problem which led me to the franchising route which I'm still doing.

I've got one other idea ear and it's pretty good I think it seems to be used quite openly I never done it before because I had too much faitu in everyone I am thinking one month in hand. I know it's a lot rather than do one week but that's technically some sort of a big commitment. Is there any way you could word the contract with a minimum term? That's obviously something along the franchise route but if you could state that along with a month in hand that copied be good.

Did anyone else do any period of wages in areas? Obviously it's motivation to give you notice and not mess you about.

Completely understand most people won't some will I just want to minimize it further.

Second the tracker as i known a few firm find out the lazy staff that way (owner: "where are you?" Worker: at the job. Owner : "didnt know the pub had a problem with their cctv").

As @ched999uk said.

Quality check jobs as it keeps them honest.

Paying high doesnt always mean good staff

I decided when i first empolyed to hire more qualified, experienced workers than myself. The pay was 30% over the average sub contactor wage yet they were still lazy and not great at their craft. (In construction)

Much rather train someone now and go on attitude.

Back