Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing first worker

WCF

Help Support WCF:

tino8358

I'm looking to employ someone to start with me shortly, he's 16 and I'm looking for advice really on the pay side of things. Can they go self employed at 16 as an adult does or do I need to setup payroll etc and whats involved in a payroll is there a lot to set it up and keep on top of.

It's more a case of what's legal! Consult an accountant as if you are supplying tools, work, setting hrs etc then you might legally have to employ!
You don't legally have to employ them for at least 2 years of them being self employed with you supplying everything.

There's lots of pro's anyways of being self employed as we all know haha but doing it this way doesn't feel like it when obviously he has to check with the boss for holidays etc still.

If your paying him say £13 an hour, realisticly your cost will probably be around £17 an hour with having to pay holiday pay, ni, etc. If he's sick youl have to pay ssp for him aswell so that's more added into the cost to factor in. An 8 hour working day he's going to cost you around £170.

When everyone eventually goes to bank payments its going to cause alot of people problems. Prices will have to go up quite a bit as they weren't priced at having to pay out £170 a day on the worker, more than likely its based on the worker getting £100 a day cash. so that's a big difference to make up over a week.

All the older lot who are cheaper and tell people that x y or z was ripping them off will be having an awkward conversation with they same customers about why the price has to go up to what other cleaners had quoted him. The prices that he told the customer he was getting ripped off at.

As said before have a chat with your accountant I personally leave it to them to do the payroll for my son who works with me occasionally.And when they are 21 pension payments will be needed take time to way it all up

Just employ him. Can't see how a 16 Yr old can be a self employed window cleaner when he isn't old enough to drive for a start.

Back