Support local business!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by badbusdriver, Mar 11, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Ok, so i read on this forum quite often about companies like vista print, some people rate them highly, others, not so much. Personally i feel that using a local company would be better, for the personal service, supporting the local economy, and being able to explain face to face with someone, exactly what you want, or so i thought!.

I have already tried, unsuccessfully to deal with one local company, with both van lettering and business cards, so i looked on for other choices. There isnt a huge amount in my area, so i was faced with a choice of going to the nearest city, aberdeen, where there is a few different companies who do business cards and flyers. I wanted to avoid this, as 5.5 years as a bus driver trying to fight my way in, and out of aberdeen has left me with a chronic desire to avoid the place(!).

This left me with a company in a town about 40 mins drive away. So i went up the week before last, explained what i wanted, that was, business cards the same as my current ones except having blue lettering on a silver background, instead of blue lettering on white. Told the guy this was because my van is silver and the lettering was blue, also told the guy what the font was, same as my van. The only other potential change i spoke about was having a6 flyers made up, but having them laid out in 'landscape' instead of 'portrait', which my current ones are. Looked at the emailed proofs on friday ***ht and guess what?, they are absolutely NOTHING like what i asked!. Not the right colours, not the right layout, not the right font!. I am totally baffled as to how with such (i thought) clear instruction on what i wanted, and why i wanted it, they could get it so completely wrong!.

I will be going on to the vistaprint (or other, similar) website within the next couple of days to see if i can get what i want from a large (impersonal?) company!.

Oh happy days! :)
  2. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Personally i like vista print and the prices are better like for like than my local company and i can design them myself instead of explaing myself.

The quality of the vista print 1s iv had made are top draw tbh and its saved on my account and always getting offers emailed to me so had 250 bussines cards made up for free and free t-shirt pens ect lol

how many do u go thro BB ?
  3. Paul

Paul Guest

Can you put your own logo on things on vista print ??
  4. Ryan

Ryan Guest

ya you can attach files pics ect
  5. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

Personally, I think vista print is rubbish. The quality of their products is poor and their aftercare leaves a lot to be desired. But that's my opinion ;)
  6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Yes you can get free business cards from vistaprint, but as far as i am aware, you have to choose from a set range of designs to 'build' your card on, this then encourages you to spend money on other stuff. I would be wanting to upload my own design, so would have to pay, but that is fair enough. I dont actually go through that many business cards, but i thought it was high time i changed them in line with my van. I wouldnt be looking for any more than 500 of those. But i plan to do some canvassing soon, so wanted to get some a6 flyers (maybe 2-3000, depending on price) made up on a reasonably thick, quality card. [hr]
    Do you use an online supplier ricoclay?, or do you use a local company?
  7. Ryan

Ryan Guest

ya with the free stuff is very limited but hay its free man lol or mega cheap lol

i had some 95 x 210 flyers made up in 235 g/m2 Glossy Finish which are very nice quality imo anyway and for 1500 i payed around £45 thats with delivery and a uploaded pic

ya its fairly expensive but its got me way over what i payed for them in work and had loads of nice comments about the cards saying how nice thay are and look professional

i'm just refining it a littel bit now today and putting a order in for another 4000-5000 more ready i think for this amount looking at around £100 for 5000 but if it gets me 10 customers it will of got its money back in a month is the way i look at it :] and i'm very happy with them
  8. Iain

Iain Guru

Jan 26, 2012
    VistaPrint are good if you're looking to have customised work done in relatively small doses. Sometimes the quality isn't great but the cost is always right!

As with ANYTHING you should always shop around but these guys usually do the best deal.
  9. James

James Guru

Nov 2, 2011
    Aye Vista are amazing. They're so cheap because they are trying to mass market and take overrr.
  10. Hey bbd, that's not good! Our local print company has become a part franchise due to companies like vista, who I'm personally not that impressed with out pricing them. What they do is the design part and make the proof then send the printing to be done at This way you still get very cheap prices but a professional finish. Might be worth a look, not sure if they could do the design for you. Should be fairly simple if it's just a few colour changes. Do you have the design on file?