Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Top tips for beginners gutter clearing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

With the right kit a vac is much quicker, easier , and far less messy ,and of course far safer .
Can't argue with the safety factor. Even with ladder work for gutter cleaning I use ladder mitts and slip proof mats (or I bring my dad with me ?). How good is the vac at getting thick pieces of mortar out? I've come across that on quite a few guttering jobs.

Can't argue with the safety factor. Even with ladder work for gutter cleaning I use ladder mitts and slip proof mats (or I bring my dad with me ?). How good is the vac at getting thick pieces of mortar out? I've come across that on quite a few guttering jobs.
If you have a decent vac it will just grab the mortar and then you can lower it to the ground or drop it down to a safe place if you have the air flow fitting on your pole.

Becareful sucking around joints as you can suck out seals... I lower the power of my vac around joints..

Be careful around end caps. Some are ready to drop off..... Then you need ladders to put them back on.

If you're struggling to remove a big clump of grass give it a good soaking with water via WFP, comes out easier when wet from sides.

Put water down the down pipe to make sure its not blocked,

If its blocked - tap the pipe to see if its holding water at the bottom, if it heavy not hollow the blockage will be down at the bottom, if its hollow the blockage will be higher up.

If blockage is at the top I fill up gutter with water via wfp and block the bottom of the downpipe with a rag as it improves suction from the top. Then suck out the water from the downpipe... Eventually it will loosen up and will free the blockage. Chances are someone put a big screw at the the top the pipe and debris has built up around that screw over time creating the blockage.
Great tips thanks for sharing ?

I was clearing out gutters before softwashing a roof today. I was using a ladder and a plastic bag. When I did the last bit all I did was tie the bag and toss it on to the grass verge. Customer picked it up and couldn't believe how much was in it and put in their waste bin. Did the same with the other side and its great with this dry weather. Bought a box of 800 blue plastic bags for £35 on Ebay or Amazon and still have 798 left. ??

Back