Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tubeless and very annoying

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wezza13

I put a rectus 21 male and female fitting on the hose (about 10cm from the end cap) so that I could go "Hoseless" a la method 1 here  : https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/blog/hoseless/ 

Ever since I've done it, 2 days ago, it's frustratingly annoying and keeps detaching when extending the pole sections. I've reverted to having to extend the section ever so slowly, so as to not catch the springy bit on the female connector, thus disconnecting the male connector. Also, as I have a univalve on the same line, it seems to activate that a lot too! It is frustrating but I wanted to askk what you guys have done for an easy fix to these problems?

I suppose the first would be to make the hole in the end cap bigger? 

It's an Extreme 35 btw

Yes make the hole in the end cap bigger, I actually don’t use and end cap at all with no major issues. 
the other option is to use the John guest pipe inserts as in ‘method 2’ and to fit a washer that matches the diameter above the o-clip that secured the make rectus. As this helps to centre the fittings when you extend your pole and prevents them coming uncoupled.

exceed supply a pole bung which does the same thing, but I found them brittle and have broke a few.

Pole bung

I put a rectus 21 male and female fitting on the hose (about 10cm from the end cap) so that I could go "Hoseless" a la method 1 here  : https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/blog/hoseless/ 

Ever since I've done it, 2 days ago, it's frustratingly annoying and keeps detaching when extending the pole sections. I've reverted to having to extend the section ever so slowly, so as to not catch the springy bit on the female connector, thus disconnecting the male connector. Also, as I have a univalve on the same line, it seems to activate that a lot too! It is frustrating but I wanted to askk what you guys have done for an easy fix to these problems?

It's an Extreme 35 btw

The proper way to do a conversion is to use the ejected sleeve the male fitting should be inside the pole not out side that’s why you are getting disconnection issues , how ever your way will work if you connect the female fitting then carefully extend the pole until the fitting is inside the pole don’t lower the pole past this point and it won’t disconnect. 

It's an Extreme 35 btw
I had the same problem and the simple fix is to buy an end cap from purefreedom (yellow ones) which gives a bit more room and stops the hose getting caught.  Then with a bit of practice you can extend the pole without issue and save yourself paying too much on those sleeves ?

If you use dog ear hose clamps they probably catch on that. If you squeeze it larger a bit before installing, you might be able to use a smaller diameter clamp than currently. Thus it has smaller ears and is less likely to catch.

Wrapping the clamp in Vulcan tape also helps, but it wears off.

What works great is using PU hose and no clamps.

Personally I still have to rotate the pole slightly when extending to wiggle it past the connector. You'll get used to it.

Extend the first half of section 1 by pushing the pole hose upwards through the pole then extend pole normally. Takes some getting used to but I've found this works perfectly well for me.

There is a knack to extending the pole to avoid it catching and disconnecting, I don't use end caps on my Xtreme-22 and it doesn't catch, but when I add my SLX extensions on it seems to catch on a section as I am extending my pole every once in a while. the Exceed ejector sleeve is a better option, but they do need dismantling and cleaning up inside every so often as the inside gets a good bit of carbon dust in and cause issues with the rectus fitting if not serviced. 

Pretty much as others have said make the end cap bigger and you'll soon get a good technique to get the fittings up and into the pole when extented. My hoseless is the same as yours, two rectus fittings and a extra opened up end cap (hot Stanley knife works well for cutting).

mine is inline with a univalve too, make sure you have some solid o clips on all connections, shouldn't have a problem then with disconnected lines 

Thank you all, they all sound like you've experienced the same and worked out a technique for them. I'll make the hole in the end cap wider and then persevere with it next week and see if I can get on with it ?

If you're going to do tubeless, it's much better IMO to have the rectus fitting inside the pole. Not only does that make it nice and smooth while extending but it protects the fitting from wear and tear.

You can buy the exceed kit or make it yourself. 

The method I've used for quite some time now is pictured below. The compromise is that you need to shorten section 1 either by cutting it shorter or by wrapping some tape around the top so it's always slightly extended. The only difficult bit is finding the correct size washer. The washer needs to be just the right size to fit inside section 2 but too big to go through section 1. The washer sits on the end of the shortened section 1 which prevents the connector from getting pushed down the pole when connecting but also keeps the whole thing centralised making it easy to connect.

Instead of the ejector sleeve, I use a piece of hose that grips the slide on the fitting, just pull on the end to disconnect. Works really well and been using it like this for about a year and it basically cost nothing.

IMG_20180528_181610.thumb.jpg.e4bd39fcc9c56c168597392f11c71c1d.jpg

IMG_20180528_185202.thumb.jpg.3a3853003bf57b814f1720053524a26d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to do tubeless, it's much better IMO to have the rectus fitting inside the pole. Not only does that make it nice and smooth while extending but it protects the fitting from wear and tear.

You can buy the exceed kit or make it yourself. 

The method I've used for quite some time now is pictured below. The compromise is that you need to shorten section 1 either by cutting it shorter or by wrapping some tape around the top so it's always slightly extended. The only difficult bit is finding the correct size washer. The washer needs to be just the right size to fit inside section 2 but too big to go through section 1. The washer sits on the end of the shortened section 1 which prevents the connector from getting pushed down the pole when connecting but also keeps the whole thing centralised making it easy to connect.

Instead of the ejector sleeve, I use a piece of hose that grips the slide on the fitting, just pull on the end to disconnect. Works really well and been using it like this for about a year and it basically cost nothing.

View attachment 18013

View attachment 18014

Surely when lowering the pole the bit of hose used to release the fitting will jam up ???? 

Just buy the proper ejector sleeve I know it's overpriced but it's only £10 and it's just so much better. 

I "managed" using the DIY methods for about a year and thought it was fine as it was all I knew.

But honestly it's so worth it. It would drive me up the wall now going back to how I used to do it. 

When you consider what we spend on other kit it's really a small price to pay I feel. 

How do people cope pulling hose all the way around back off house and making sure you’ve pulled enough to reach top windows like dormers ?

i just pull hose to side of house and use my rhino pole hose to cover the rest , then loop it back up then walk back to van woth reel hose 

or do yous keep pole hose on reel then loop it off before walking away with main hose 

I’ve been having the same issues, been just dealing with it by not collapsing fully etc but feel my system can be streamlined!

Can anyone recommend the best place to get the ejector sleeve? Was going to buy direct from exceed but £4-5 for postage seems pretty steep for this and don’t need to buy anything else, apart from maybe the pole bung at the moment!!

I’ve been having the same issues, been just dealing with it by not collapsing fully etc but feel my system can be streamlined!

Can anyone recommend the best place to get the ejector sleeve? Was going to buy direct from exceed but £4-5 for postage seems pretty steep for this and don’t need to buy anything else, apart from maybe the pole bung at the moment!!

Window cleaning warehouse do them not sure about postage costs 

How do people cope pulling hose all the way around back off house and making sure you’ve pulled enough to reach top windows like dormers ?

i just pull hose to side of house and use my rhino pole hose to cover the rest , then loop it back up then walk back to van woth reel hose 

or do yous keep pole hose on reel then loop it off before walking away with main hose 
I walk straight down the back garden for the same distance as the width of the back of the house and the height I need to reach if the way is clear. If it's not clear I walk to the back corner of the house and pull out the extra length that I need from there. ? 

I just loop about 10 metres before I start to walk
Same here, I have two pieces of hose connected via a plastic 6mm connection on my reel. I unwind until I hit the plastic piece and know I've got a solid 20 meters to play with, normally enough for my houses.

What type of hose is it most common to have going from the bottom of the pole on a tubeless setup?

I know most have 8mm od PU or 5mm id braided pole hose inside the pole, but what about on the other side of the connector? I have 6mm microbore going up to the base of the pole, but it's gets heavy when fully extended when it gets pulled inside.

Is this the most common way or do people have pole hose also for 20-30 feet and then a hose joiner to the main reel hose?

Thanks

What type of hose is it most common to have going from the bottom of the pole on a tubeless setup?

I know most have 8mm od PU or 5mm id braided pole hose inside the pole, but what about on the other side of the connector? I have 6mm microbore going up to the base of the pole, but it's gets heavy when fully extended when it gets pulled inside.

Is this the most common way or do people have pole hose also for 20-30 feet and then a hose joiner to the main reel hose?

Thanks

We use gardeners green pu , we have 25 meters on the end of the microbore hose it’s that that goes up the pole 

660A636A-3C61-41C4-86C9-F1F5C8480699.jpeg

Back