Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wanting more flow rate. What's the issue?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So my new pump arrived. One thing I thought I'd try was to adjust the pressure switch that my was my mates and is now on the pump. I've dialled the switch further in meaning the pressure doesn't build up as quick and now I'm getting the flow rate I need. Only difference I've found now is the calibration is quite high like 1 bar off max. But seems to be working fine. Wondering if this ok to continue with the pressure switch wound further in? As the controller DE 's the pump when the univalve is pulled on. Maybe this new pump can be spare for now.
You shouldn't ever need to play with a pressure switch adjustment on a new or old pump. You'll over work the pump or drive it to hard. They have been calibrated in the factory to deliver a predetermined flow rate so the pressure switch activities as intended to 

Maybe if I put my new pump on it would achieve the flow rate I desire because its new. Its possible as it's been hammered for 4 years it's struggling. Interesting how some controllers you put on it bypasses it anyway? So how come that's a thing?

Maybe if I put my new pump on it would achieve the flow rate I desire because its new. Its possible as it's been hammered for 4 years it's struggling. Interesting how some controllers you put on it bypasses it anyway? So how come that's a thing?
May I pose a simple question to you? 

What are your expectations when you discuss flow? Are you wanting super powerful jets of water from the system you have.

Also what is your initial setup 

What kind and diameter of hose are you using

How long is it 

What jets 

What heights are you mostly working at 

Just trying to best understand your predicament and expectations 

6mm 100metre reel hose then about 20m 5mm pole hose. Wanting more power from the 100 degree fan jets so i get more volume of water onto the glass so I can clean quicker. As the flowrate seemed far too low and I was spending more time on the windows. Heights vary I do lot of big houses. Some houses require fully extended pole. But not loads. 

6mm 100metre reel hose then about 20m 5mm pole hose. Wanting more power from the 100 degree fan jets so i get more volume of water onto the glass so I can clean quicker. As the flowrate seemed far too low and I was spending more time on the windows. Heights vary I do lot of big houses. Some houses require fully extended pole. But not loads. 
I've personally found fan jets to be an absolute waste of time and money as they end up misting and cause too much back pressure which can trigger dead ends when your hose snags or you get grit in them.

I would use standard pencil jets as you get a better clean, flow & rinse

I have the same setup and have no issues whatsoever and use a standard shurflo 8000 series 5lpm 12v 100 psi pump, Spring Europe Ltd V16 running at around 68 on 6mm streamline hivz hose at 100m and 25 metres of 5mm ID unger pole hose

Get a great clean and rinse with no problems at all 

We have 100 m of microbore plus 20-30 meters of pole hose on all our reels we don’t use fan jets though and never have any issues with lack of water , are you sure your battery is ok and fully charged ?? We do a lot of work 60 - 80 feet high and rarely adjust the flow rate on the controllers . 

I suppose we all clean differently. I think if I saw video of your flow to the glass I would get an idea see if we are similar? Battery is fine. The pressure switch would activate straight away as soon as you put the flow rate higher. Soon as I adjusted pressure switch it allowed more flow. My flow rate is set between 6-7 now but calibration is high. It says on the instructions should be between 12-2 but you can only go up to about 4 - 4 half on the flow and just didn't seem enough. 

I suppose we all clean differently. I think if I saw video of your flow to the glass I would get an idea see if we are similar? Battery is fine. The pressure switch would activate straight away as soon as you put the flow rate higher. Soon as I adjusted pressure switch it allowed more flow. My flow rate is set between 6-7 now but calibration is high. It says on the instructions should be between 12-2 but you can only go up to about 4 - 4 half on the flow and just didn't seem enough. 
Are you sure you've not overclocked your pressure switch adjustment and range. Like I have previously said. I have never once played with or had to replace a microswitch or setting

Your setup and methods of cleaning need looking into 

Are you sure you've not overclocked your pressure switch adjustment and range. Like I have previously said. I have never once played with or had to replace a microswitch or setting

Your setup and methods of cleaning need looking into 
Only a newbie. What is your flow rate per minute atm. I've seen vids that experienced wfp pole guy says 2ltr per min is well adequate.  Have you checked your flow rate, how much per minute are you looking/hoping for. Then these more experienced guys may be able to advise you . 

Only a newbie. What is your flow rate per minute atm. I've seen vids that experienced wfp pole guy says 2ltr per min is well adequate.  Have you checked your flow rate, how much per minute are you looking/hoping for. Then these more experienced guys may be able to advise you . 
Back in the day ,15 years ago ,I was working for BG , people would have a boiler installed that was sized for their property. Trouble I found was the boiler would then be running at 80 to 90% of its capacity. That's my belief nothing proven! But after 2,3,4 years they would get problems arising.  I always said if you need something like a 24cdi get a 30 or 32. That way boiler/pump  will work at around 50% . If you work these things to near maximum you will knackered them out pretty quickly. My view on pumps for wfpvis the same. They are not built to run at 5ltr per minute 6 hrs a day 5 days a week. Just my opinion.

Back in the day ,15 years ago ,I was working for BG , people would have a boiler installed that was sized for their property. Trouble I found was the boiler would then be running at 80 to 90% of its capacity. That's my belief nothing proven! But after 2,3,4 years they would get problems arising.  I always said if you need something like a 24cdi get a 30 or 32. That way boiler/pump  will work at around 50% . If you work these things to near maximum you will knackered them out pretty quickly. My view on pumps for wfpvis the same. They are not built to run at 5ltr per minute 6 hrs a day 5 days a week. Just my opinion.
I'll do a test and see what I'm getting litres per min

I'll do a test and see what I'm getting litres per min
2 to 2.5 Ltr per min should be more than adequate for the pump to handle.  And give a good flow to clean/rinse  at a fair pace of work. I'd say. But as I said I'm a newbie

Ian Docksey said:
2 to 2.5 Ltr per min should be more than adequate for the pump to handle.  And give a good flow to clean/rinse  at a fair pace of work. I'd say. But as I said I'm a newbie
Maybe try different jets, like 2mm pencils, rather than fan 

Maybe try different jets, like 2mm pencils, rather than fan 
I run my controller at 68, I average 2.5lpm I am currently uploading two new how to videos onto YouTube as I can read @ched999uk's mind 

As quoted on 1 vid(cant rember which) if you turn flow up, just remember to work quicker, no good higher flow and working same speed as b4
And then the big question.  Why do you want a bigger flow rate? Best to work and do job properly, than work quicker and it's not done to the standard you've set youself.

And then the big question.  Why do you want a bigger flow rate? Best to work and do job properly, than work quicker and it's not done to the standard you've set youself.
To me , and this is my view.

It's not about doing 5 or 6 jobs n hour, 10 min jobs! If you take your time n do a proper job, say 15 to 20 mins ,the customer will then feel they getting value for money  you can then justify 15 to 20 quid per job. No need to turn up n be gone , as the customer sees it!!

So just checked it and on flow rate of 7 I'm getting about 2.2lpm. But the pump does sound quite loud and I'm only achieving this after turning the pressure switch down. I'm wondering whether I installed new pump it would achieve these results only flow rate of maybe like 4 or 5? 

So just checked it and on flow rate of 7 I'm getting about 2.2lpm. But the pump does sound quite loud and I'm only achieving this after turning the pressure switch down. I'm wondering whether I installed new pump it would achieve these results only flow rate of maybe like 4 or 5? 
Do you really think you need 4 to 5ltrs per minute? That's the pump working at 80 to 90% ! Which as I say. Imo with central heating pumps  will knackered it sooner rather than later, so you'll be replacing pumps hand over fist.

Do you really think you need 4 to 5ltrs per minute? That's the pump working at 80 to 90% ! Which as I say. Imo with central heating pumps  will knackered it sooner rather than later, so you'll be replacing pumps hand over fist.
I mean that's the flow rate I've got it up to now. That flow rate is fine! It's just I was getting the pressure switch coming on all the time. Until I turned the pressure switch further in so I could achieve that. I was working with flow way lower than that and it was nightmare hence me trying to achieve higher flow 

I think this will probably open a can of worms coming from a newbie. But here goes.

If you need to pump that amount of pure per min, to as you say speed up you work rate.  Is this not down to under pricing to think you need to do more jobs!  If jobs are priced correctly and you spend a bit of time giving customer value for money  you would be better off,  As said in a fair few vids, work smart not hard. 

Latest Posts

Back