Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whats the thing that annoys you most about being a Window Cleaner?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Back/side gates being locked after I text them night before telling them I was coming!! 
That doesn't bother me as they get charged at least my minimum charge £8.00 and if they do it again they get charged full price, I have one job that's 4 weekly seems to do it about every 8 weeks and gets charged £14.00 for a terraced front their loss my gain.

This annoyed me today.

As soon as I started working on this guys house, out he comes and starts nattering. 
I don’t mind this with most customers as I carry on cleaning whilst talking. This guy however only has one subject, himself (like someone on here ?).

He’s rattling on about his poxy hobbie of building airfix models!

Then, an horrific moment when he mentions the pub I drink in, and says when this pandemic is over he’ll come and join me for a drink ?

2 things bothered me, 1. Inviting himself 

2. What my mates would say if this bellend turns up while we’re on a session ??

I told him I’ve stopped drinking there now ??‍?

OK so what annoys me about window cleaning?

1) Its tedious. 

2) Once established...it's really really well paid; especially where I live in Surrey (sounds contradictory but other jobs that require actual brain power/university degrees still don't come close to what you can earn on an hourly rate window cleaning in my area, and that annoys me. Even my fathers engineering business isn't as well paid, and you need to understand engineering and how to operate half a million quids worth of machinery)

3) Other window cleaners trying to make the job/industry something it isn't. Window cleaning is just that; you clean the window, you collect your payment. Repeat. No need to complicate it with delusions of grandeur

4) Its tedious

5) Working outside is becoming more and more difficult to plan; especially over the last 5 years with the very unpredictable weather; I just carry on anyway, always have but coming home evening after evening for months soggy, muddy and wet is not fun anymore. Plus in the summertime, some days are so hot now its becoming laughable. 

6) Hoses, they wind me right up (pun not intended), they get snagged on plant pots, car tyres, garden chairs, customers legs, small children, pets..etc..and then when you do get it free and  start winding it back up on the reel (normally in a vigorous way due to the aforementioned issues) , you pulled it through a ton of dog turd and you have it all over yourself..

7) Its tedious

8) Customers, they wind me right up. Why cant they just get lost. I don't want to know about your daughters university degree, or the fact that the car is due its service. I'm not interested in your life at all; or to become your "pal". I am here because I need to pay my bills, and I do that by doing a job you cant be arsed to do. But I will talk shop so you think that I am the nice bloke who cleans your windows, better not get into talking about how many jobs I do a day...please just will you fff...

9) And onto that subject, customers trying to work out how much you earn. So...how many jobs do you get through a day. I often respond the following ways A) If I like the person- Well it depends on the size of the houses, it varies with the weather and rounds..B) If i dislike the person-On average I get through 15-20 properties a day but it does depend on size. I quite like seeing them doing the mental arithmetic, and the reaction on their face especially if  they happen to be a more higher priced £90 job or something. Also hate when they ask, is this your full time job? Err.Y E S...I work Monday to Friday every week cleaning window after window after window...

10) Its tedious

11) Newcomers to the industry, get right on my pip. To me these fall into category 9, the customer trying to work out how much you earn, These ones see us guys who have been in business for 10-20-30-40-50 years and more, see the compact rounds we work, know some of the prices we are charging and think that they are going to be millionaires by going out and quitting their job buying an overpriced van with a tank that has neon's and flashy stickers all over it and going out to clean windows. They did the same thing adding one plus one and coming up with 7 as those annoying customers trying to work out what your earning. 

In reality it takes YEARS to build up a stable window cleaning business even with a moderate turnover of £40k a year, and I mean stable in the sense that you do not have to do any canvassing anymore, or have any new business coming in to sustain the existing customer base.

12) its tedious.....

?

1) Its tedious. 

2) Once established...it's really really well paid; especially where I live in Surrey (sounds contradictory but other jobs that require actual brain power/university degrees still don't come close to what you can earn on an hourly rate window cleaning in my area, and that annoys me. Even my fathers engineering business isn't as well paid, and you need to understand engineering and how to operate half a million quids worth of machinery)

3) Other window cleaners trying to make the job/industry something it isn't. Window cleaning is just that; you clean the window, you collect your payment. Repeat. No need to complicate it with delusions of grandeur

4) Its tedious

5) Working outside is becoming more and more difficult to plan; especially over the last 5 years with the very unpredictable weather; I just carry on anyway, always have but coming home evening after evening for months soggy, muddy and wet is not fun anymore. Plus in the summertime, some days are so hot now its becoming laughable. 

6) Hoses, they wind me right up (pun not intended), they get snagged on plant pots, car tyres, garden chairs, customers legs, small children, pets..etc..and then when you do get it free and  start winding it back up on the reel (normally in a vigorous way due to the aforementioned issues) , you pulled it through a ton of dog turd and you have it all over yourself..

7) Its tedious

? Customers, they wind me right up. Why cant they just get lost. I don't want to know about your daughters university degree, or the fact that the car is due its service. I'm not interested in your life at all; or to become your "pal". I am here because I need to pay my bills, and I do that by doing a job you cant be arsed to do. But I will talk shop so you think that I am the nice bloke who cleans your windows, better not get into talking about how many jobs I do a day...please just will you fff...

9) And onto that subject, customers trying to work out how much you earn. So...how many jobs do you get through a day. I often respond the following ways A) If I like the person- Well it depends on the size of the houses, it varies with the weather and rounds..B) If i dislike the person-On average I get through 15-20 properties a day but it does depend on size. I quite like seeing them doing the mental arithmetic, and the reaction on their face especially if  they happen to be a more higher priced £90 job or something. Also hate when they ask, is this your full time job? Err.Y E S...I work Monday to Friday every week cleaning window after window after window...

10) Its tedious

11) Newcomers to the industry, get right on my pip. To me these fall into category 9, the customer trying to work out how much you earn, These ones see us guys who have been in business for 10-20-30-40-50 years and more, see the compact rounds we work, know some of the prices we are charging and think that they are going to be millionaires by going out and quitting their job buying an overpriced van with a tank that has neon's and flashy stickers all over it and going out to clean windows. They did the same thing adding one plus one and coming up with 7 as those annoying customers trying to work out what your earning. 

In reality it takes YEARS to build up a stable window cleaning business even with a moderate turnover of £40k a year, and I mean stable in the sense that you do not have to do any canvassing anymore, or have any new business coming in to sustain the existing customer base.

12) its tedious.....

?
I think there are down sides to any job , but window cleaning has less than most , do agree about the plant pots and dog poo ? though I haven’t pulled any small children in for a while with my electric reels ????

1) Its tedious. 

4) Its tedious

7) Its tedious

? Customers, they wind me right up. Why cant they just get lost. I don't want to know about your daughters university degree, or the fact that the car is due its service. I'm not interested in your life at all; or to become your "pal". I am here because I need to pay my bills, and I do that by doing a job you cant be arsed to do. But I will talk shop so you think that I am the nice bloke who cleans your windows, better not get into talking about how many jobs I do a day...please just will you fff...

10) Its tedious

12) its tedious.....

?
Got a couple of days of next week, I’ll read that post then ?

1) Its tedious. 

4) Its tedious

7) Its tedious

10) Its tedious

12) its tedious.....

?
I got bored and started cooking my tea after the first 10 words 

12) its tedious.....
Get yourself some airpods/earbuds etc - download a bunch of podcasts/books/plays/radio/tracks etc and you'll be too engaged to notice any 'tedium' also mix it up a bit and offer other related services - breaks up the day/week/year as demand for services peak/trough with the seasons - you're less likely to notice any monotony - try to do bigger houses rather than lots of smaller ones so don't feel you need to bash them out/repeat all day...chat to your custy's (controversial one) get to know them/family - and have a quick catch up chat - what's new/how's everyone - every job become the source of some rather fascinating tales/'gossip'/news. 

Get yourself some airpods/earbuds etc - download a bunch of podcasts/books/plays/radio/tracks etc and you'll be too engaged to notice any 'tedium' also mix it up a bit and offer other related services - breaks up the day/week/year as demand for services peak/trough with the seasons - you're less likely to notice any monotony - try to do bigger houses rather than lots of smaller ones so don't feel you need to bash them out/repeat all day...chat to your custy's (controversial one) get to know them/family - and have a quick catch up chat - what's new/how's everyone - every job become the source of some rather fascinating tales/'gossip'/news. 
I agree with this. I have a small digital radio that has a built in speaker, so no need to wear earphones all day.

Talksport, different radio stations etc. I also have an iPod classic in my van. Over three hundred albums on it. So at around 11ish I put on my headphones, and for a couple of hours I’m away with the fairies.

1) Its tedious. 

4) Its tedious

7) Its tedious

10) Its tedious

12) its tedious.....

?
Have you thought of doing some work for the Samaritans in your spare time (lol)

Bluetooth headphones certainly help with the tedium.....I just wear one so I can converse with customers if I need to....short days too....my average working day is 5 or 6 hours....

I've been doing this job that long I'm like a well oiled machine...I have 3 waterproof jackets in the van for wet days,industrial antibacterial wipes in case my hose goes through dog/cat muck(which is very rare)...

I've also got a hot water system,xtreme poles,decent electric reel,heated drivers seat in the van!all these little things makes the job more comfortable/easier....

I honestly believe this is the best time to be a window cleaner in this day and age.....I spent 17 years on the ladders,collecting 2 or 3 times a week,dangling off roofs,etc....I was like a stuntman without the glamour!?.....all the worst things about this job have been eliminated!?

I have the BBC sounds app on my phone, quite like listening to that. Was listening to Rob Luft the other day..quite amazing artist.

The post about doing other jobs to mix up the day-week.. been there done that no thanks. The truth of the matter is that when your busy enough window cleaning, you A) don't have the time to do these extras B) don't have the need to take them on..

Pure Window cleaning for me makes the most money, doing conservatory cleans just makes me want to get a sledgehammer to it, gutter and facia cleans ..meh..I'll do them if they really really want then done, but no thanks normally. Haven't got the time. 

The subject of this thread was what annoys me about the job.  Perhaps someone should start a what I like about window cleaning thread, you never know I might surprise you with a reply...??????????

I have the BBC sounds app on my phone, quite like listening to that. Was listening to Rob Luft the other day..quite amazing artist.

The post about doing other jobs to mix up the day-week.. been there done that no thanks. The truth of the matter is that when your busy enough window cleaning, you A) don't have the time to do these extras B) don't have the need to take them on..

Pure Window cleaning for me makes the most money, doing conservatory cleans just makes me want to get a sledgehammer to it, gutter and facia cleans ..meh..I'll do them if they really really want then done, but no thanks normally. Haven't got the time. 

The subject of this thread was what annoys me about the job.  Perhaps someone should start a what I like about window cleaning thread, you never know I might surprise you with a reply...??????????
Would one of the things be writing post that rival War and Peace ?

Back