Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When do I fully commit?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi all, so I started around 6.5 Weeks ago, and the past couple of weeks have been extremely busy for me. I'm currently at 95 customers (not including one off's I've been doing) also (around 20 booked in for first cleans sat/sun). I don't feel like my prices are too low, window cleaners in my area, unless work for a big business charge less than me with a lot more experience.

I currently work around 45 hours for a telecoms company, and have been trying to fit a few first cleans in on a evening, and then most on a weekend but my current job doesn't really have a finish time so occasionally I have random finish times and then have to get home swap uniform swap vans and get back out and find myself pulling up to a new customer at 6 or even 7pm, they say they don't mind but I just don't feel it it looks very professional.

I haven't done any flyers in over a month so I haven't even been able to really target the areas I want, and I have a young family with my wife having her own business too. I cant really live off this many customers as a full time income, and have a mortgage etc, but also feel my full time job is a hindrance at the minute lol.

is it worth the to leave and give it everything I have and get out leafletting all areas, advertise on more Facebook pages etc and see if my customers have more friends and family who want theirs doing too? or take a safe option and find a part time job, maybe 2 days a week to have some steady backup income.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Deffo go the part time route if you can, it’ll make the crossover a lot easier as and when you make that change, otherwise you’ll have to save like mad for back up funds for bills etc if you go full time straight away (which can hinder spending money on equipment).

Yes a part time job could be a good solution but what does your wife think about the situation? Does she earn enough with her business to keep things affloat for a while until enough bucks start rolling in and if so would she be happy to do this? It wouldn`t take that long to build up your window cleaning business if you put your heart and sole into it.
realistically she does earn enough to keep the house running just her, but that would be us skint lol. She also thinks part time would be a good idea.

I spoke to one of the big bosses today who i get on with quite well, he said part time isn't an option, (I didn't tell him part time for what reason, just said I was busy with life etc lol) He's going to let me know by Friday if there's space for me to put some holidays in over the next 6 weeks having Thursday Friday off, which would be a good start to see if this is going to take off properly or not, and a month in i suppose id see if i can also look for part time elsewhere if its working out for me.

Maybe I'm other thinking everything as I usually do, but the extra few days could also give me time to offer conservatory roofs and soffit/fascia for extra income now that my Gardiner backpack has come. I've had about 6 people ask so far, but with lack of time and equipment as I want to build my round up before anything I've had to say ill get back to them.

Deffo go the part time route if you can, it’ll make the crossover a lot easier as and when you make that change, otherwise you’ll have to save like mad for back up funds for bills etc if you go full time straight away (which can hinder spending money on equipment).
a lot of my stuff is 2nd hand but all really looked after, the pole spins a bit which does stress me out sometimes but its fine for now. This is another reason i'm thinking part time is good, I want to treat myself to a new pole haha

6 weeks in and 95 customers already, that’s good going! I’ve no where near that amount customers and I’m about 3 weeks in. Well done, is that all canvassing and Facebook groups? Have you paid for any ads etc?
I've had nothing from Facebook adverts, big waste of money. I did flyers at the start, then some posting on local Facebook groups which was great, and then once i got a customers on a little street I've ended up getting neighbours. The signwriting van has helped a lot.

Before i started window cleaning i was a artic driver. (Tramping 20years) all week. I just had enough of the game as it wasnt the same anymore so I started window cleaning and I was out on the weekends cleaning windows, posting flyer etc. I had hardly any sleep and trying to get the work in. I was getting that busy on windows I told a porky to my current employer that I needed the Friday off every week to look after my daughter. They was ok with it and soon them Fridays was getting full with window cleaning jobs. So that gave me 3 busy days a week work. FRI,SAT,SUN. Soon I had to had my notice in and work for myself and that's what I did. I now work 5 days a week and weekends off. I Earn good money and work less hours to lorry driving and I can have family time. Just ask ur boss you need to have a day off in the week etc. good luck and keep us posted ?

Did you get the works window cleaning job?
They never got back to me! And still haven't been cleaned. From what it sounded like initially is they preferable need someone through the week to do it, as the yard is locked up on a weekend, and nobody can have the keys. Obviously me working there Monday to Friday leaves me no time to get them done through the day, maybe when I eventually leave they'll give me the cleaning job haha.

I wouldn't quit until you have enough that you can't fit it in with your current job. I wouldn't worry so much about going to people's houses at 6 or 7, no one really minds when the weather's good. Mon to Thurs anyway, I wouldn't try it on a Friday. We'll I wouldn't anyway.

95 jobs in 6 weeks is very good going indeed, but you need a better gauge of the potential in your area and the only way to do this is canvass so you can get talking to people because doubling then tripling your customer base could be a harder slog than the jobs you've gained already, flyers don't get you on the ground and get you face to face with people and this is what you need nothing wrong with FB as long as you don't pay for ad's just post on local pages but only pm a quote never give a price within a post you've made.

Then when push comes to shove take some annual leave for 2-3 weeks or go on the sick, going on the sick ain't ideal but a member on here did so and canvassed like mad and was able to hand his notice in and last we spoke he had 2 vans on the road that was done in about 2-3 years he has been trading over 5 years now

95 jobs in 6 weeks is very good going indeed, but you need a better gauge of the potential in your area and the only way to do this is canvass so you can get talking to people because doubling then tripling your customer base could be a harder slog than the jobs you've gained already, flyers don't get you on the ground and get you face to face with people and this is what you need nothing wrong with FB as long as you don't pay for ad's just post on local pages but only pm a quote never give a price within a post you've made.

Then when push comes to shove take some annual leave for 2-3 weeks or go on the sick, going on the sick ain't ideal but a member on here did so and canvassed like mad and was able to hand his notice in and last we spoke he had 2 vans on the road that was done in about 2-3 years he has been trading over 5 years now
Thanks pal. I did try a Facebook advert, but got nothing from it, won't be doing it again lol. Local pages have worked a treat for me, I haven't put any prices on either, ones a bit further (generally working in opposite direction that day) I've had them send photos of the house and ones close by I've gone round myself. Get a few who tell me that there old window cleaner did it for £5 and I'm too expensive, but get a lot that aren't bothered about price, just tell me they want someone whoa actually going to turn up.

Quote a few Windy's near me seem to use the job as something to get beer money when they fancy it. My mother in law was on monthly with hers and we checked and he was coming sometimes after 2 weeks.

I've always done customer service jobs generally, installing broadband in people's houses etc so I'm pretty good talking to people, but still a bit too shy to try door knocking etc as of yet lol.

Last 1-2 weeks there's been lots of people asking for window cleaners and my names getting posted a lot, so although I'm definitely not the quickest and I'm sure I'm nowhere near the best, I'm doing something right lol.

I have thought about ringing in sick, but by tomorrow I should find out if I can get some 'emergency' Holliday's in ASAP for 2 days a week for the next 4-6 weeks which will free me up an extra couple of days to get out, get customers done who wants booking in without making them wait a week, and speak to the neighbours whilst I'm doing it now it's nice and warm.

I've actually seen a few adverts for the hospital near me looking for a porter for 2 days a week 12 hour shifts, which would be perfect for me tbh, would bring enough money in to cover bills, and I'm now at 100 customers, some are 8 weekly but so far I'm on around £1300 4 weekly (lots of small terrace and semis where I live and work) so with the extra time I'm hoping I can continue to grow and get it to a real livable wage ASAP.

I'm pretty good talking to people, but still a bit too shy to try door knocking etc as of yet lol.
I can talk the hind leg of a donkey when I feel comfortable and confident, but I've never been the most confident person the whole of my life, but after knocking a few doors within one street the uneasy feeling quickly faded away, it will be the same for you I'd definitely encourage you to take the leap.

Thanks pal. I did try a Facebook advert, but got nothing from it, won't be doing it again lol. Local pages have worked a treat for me, I haven't put any prices on either, ones a bit further (generally working in opposite direction that day) I've had them send photos of the house and ones close by I've gone round myself. Get a few who tell me that there old window cleaner did it for £5 and I'm too expensive, but get a lot that aren't bothered about price, just tell me they want someone whoa actually going to turn up.

Quote a few Windy's near me seem to use the job as something to get beer money when they fancy it. My mother in law was on monthly with hers and we checked and he was coming sometimes after 2 weeks.

I've always done customer service jobs generally, installing broadband in people's houses etc so I'm pretty good talking to people, but still a bit too shy to try door knocking etc as of yet lol.

Last 1-2 weeks there's been lots of people asking for window cleaners and my names getting posted a lot, so although I'm definitely not the quickest and I'm sure I'm nowhere near the best, I'm doing something right lol.

I have thought about ringing in sick, but by tomorrow I should find out if I can get some 'emergency' Holliday's in ASAP for 2 days a week for the next 4-6 weeks which will free me up an extra couple of days to get out, get customers done who wants booking in without making them wait a week, and speak to the neighbours whilst I'm doing it now it's nice and warm.

I've actually seen a few adverts for the hospital near me looking for a porter for 2 days a week 12 hour shifts, which would be perfect for me tbh, would bring enough money in to cover bills, and I'm now at 100 customers, some are 8 weekly but so far I'm on around £1300 4 weekly (lots of small terrace and semis where I live and work) so with the extra time I'm hoping I can continue to grow and get it to a real livable wage ASAP.
Great reply with some nice honest comments on where you are and how you have achieved it. It helps others like myself who are in a similar position. I’m different I’ve gone all in! Gave my job up and living off my partners wage, I wouldn’t recommend it but I had no choice!

I personally wouldn't 'promote' add-ons atm @ashley1337 . You need to focus on window cleaning side and growing your customer base that as I believe that is going to be your core business.
(If you didn't have a full time job, then, yes, you would offer every add-on you could to earn as much as possible from the customer base you have.)

I didn't have a job when I started window cleaning. I offered every add-on, including internal window cleaning. I wish I had never promoted internal window cleaning, and my heart deflates when we get asked to clear gutters and clean a conservatory roof. I hate cleaning conservatory roofs and the clean-up after doing a gutter clear with my gutter vac.

The moral of my story is to ask yourself if you would be happy doing these add-ons in 10 years time.

I can talk the hind leg of a donkey when I feel comfortable and confident, but I've never been the most confident person the whole of my life, but after knocking a few doors within one street the uneasy feeling quickly faded away, it will be the same for you I'd definitely encourage you to take the leap.
I will try it, just need to get the courage to do it once and I'll be fine haha, might get my wife a company top on and get her to do it first for me, see how she does haha

I personally wouldn't 'promote' add-ons atm @ashley1337 . You need to focus on window cleaning side and growing your customer base that as I believe that is going to be your core business.
(If you didn't have a full time job, then, yes, you would offer every add-on you could to earn as much as possible from the customer base you have.)

I didn't have a job when I started window cleaning. I offered every add-on, including internal window cleaning. I wish I had never promoted internal window cleaning, and my heart deflates when we get asked to clear gutters and clean a conservatory roof. I hate cleaning conservatory roofs and the clean-up after doing a gutter clear with my gutter vac.

The moral of my story is to ask yourself if you would be happy doing these add-ons in 10 years time.
I see what you mean, I probably wouldn't like doing conservatory roofs tbh, up on ladders etc. I'm up high most of the day atm on telegraph poles etc and I absolutely hate it, so wfp suits me perfect.

I agree, building the round is my number 1 priority ATM.

I will try it, just need to get the courage to do it once and I'll be fine haha, might get my wife a company top on and get her to do it first for me, see how she does haha
Each take a side of the street and try and stay within sight of each other - that way customers can see you both! Some like the idea that you are not 'just some iffy bloke' if you have a woman with you!
Also if you are within sight she can tell you who needs a quote.
You could make it a bit of a competition, if she gets over a certain threshold you take her out for dinner?

Each take a side of the street and try and stay within sight of each other - that way customers can see you both! Some like the idea that you are not 'just some iffy bloke' if you have a woman with you!
You could make it a bit of a competition, if she gets over a certain threshold you take her out for dinner?
Great idea tbh. Obviously with doing this ita better to hit the nicer areas? Not just all new builds but pretty much all owned houses?

Great idea tbh. Obviously with doing this ita better to hit the nicer areas? Not just all new builds but pretty much all owned houses?
I find new builds generally somehow have already been hit and someone is doing them at a very low price. Any house that is in a reasonable area is a good target.
Personally I have more luck with mid range areas - i.e not the poshest but not the worst areas either.
Mix it up do different types of area and see what works round you.

My mrs would not try at all so she doesn’t have to go out to dinner with me ??

This is actually a top idea. My sister married a window cleaner and now she does all his canvassing. She brings in work so quickly he often asks her to stop until he can catchup! And they’re not charging bargin bucket prices either. I just wished I had got her canvassing before she met him ?
People in general feel more at ease with woman. So is she’s up for it, I would defo try to get her out. Bonus if you can find some children to tag along with you. Maybe wear some old clothes. ‘Please sir, can we clean your windows?’ ???

Latest Posts

Back