Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which van to buy?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi all, looking at purchasing a new van in the next few months and wondering if anyone has any advice on which direction to go. Currently use a Citroen berlingo but have outgrown that so looking for something bigger, just something medium size. Had a few issues with rust in the berlingo so ideally looking for something galvanised. Budget is around £13k.

For price wise I have found the Renault traffic am excellent van. Only main problem can be gearbox around the 100,000 miles mark and to get the gearbox reconditioned is around £1200
Yeah I’ve been looking at Traffics to be fair, smart looking vans and they’re galvanised aren’t they so shouldn’t really be a worries about rust

The money 2nd hand vans are up for 13k might not buy you much at all, it's a complete joke what the sale price of 2nd hand vans is, people asking £1,000's more than a van is worth just because they are up for certain prices on AutoTrader, I got offered what I assume was the book price for my old van so sold it privately and bought a Berlingo the other week.

Fingers crossed you'll get lucky as some places have been holding vans for months as companies are holding off buying vans with the way things were earlier this year and with a recession looming.

Well I`m looking at buying a mercedes vito. The 2.1 litre version as they seem to have a brilliant reputation and are a good size. It could be worth checking those out. Not sure yet whether I`m going to sell my old van with the tank in and get a new system fitted in the new one, or just transfer over the old tank into the new van.
My current van has 170,000 on the clock so not sure if many people would be interested in buying a van with that many miles on the clock for window cleaning.

Honestly I've had transporters, traffic,vivaro,berlingo and dispatch.

Dispatch every day.

Traffic /vivaro best for space but running gear is shocking.

Dispatch easy to work on your self especially servicing. Had for 4 years now only had tires replaced. Maybe pot luck but the one above where hassle. Could do with been a bit bigger.

Transporter too expensive when they go wrong usually turbos.

The money 2nd hand vans are up for 13k might not buy you much at all, it's a complete joke what the sale price of 2nd hand vans is, people asking £1,000's more than a van is worth just because they are up for certain prices on AutoTrader, I got offered what I assume was the book price for my old van so sold it privately and bought a Berlingo the other week.

Fingers crossed you'll get lucky as some places have been holding vans for months as companies are holding off buying vans with the way things were earlier this year and with a recession looming.
You’re correct mate the prices are ludicrous at the moment. As it stands £13k won’t get me what I want, I’d have to settle for something with more miles on than I’d be comfortable with but hopefully prices might sort themselves out in a few months? That’s probably wishful thinking though.

Honestly I've had transporters, traffic,vivaro,berlingo and dispatch.

Dispatch every day.

Traffic /vivaro best for space but running gear is shocking.

Dispatch easy to work on your self especially servicing. Had for 4 years now only had tires replaced. Maybe pot luck but the one above where hassle. Could do with been a bit bigger.

Transporter too expensive when they go wrong usually turbos.
The newer shape Dispatch is a really smart looking van mate but not sure they’re the best in terms of rust? Certainly my Berlingo hasn’t been great in that sense but my van wasn’t properly sealed prior to the system going in so that definitely hasn’t helped.

Well I`m looking at buying a mercedes vito. The 2.1 litre version as they seem to have a brilliant reputation and are a good size. It could be worth checking those out. Not sure yet whether I`m going to sell my old van with the tank in and get a new system fitted in the new one, or just transfer over the old tank into the new van.
My current van has 170,000 on the clock so not sure if many people would be interested in buying a van with that many miles on the clock for window cleaning.
I know the older Mercedes had really bad rust issues but not sure about the newer models? I personally wouldn’t buy a van with 170k on but some people certainly would, especially if it’s got a decent service history.

I think now that the 'chip shortage' is passing plus interest rates soaring it will dampen prices. That said it might still take a few more months.

You’re correct mate the prices are ludicrous at the moment. As it stands £13k won’t get me what I want, I’d have to settle for something with more miles on than I’d be comfortable with but hopefully prices might sort themselves out in a few months? That’s probably wishful thinking though.
I have seen 4 year old Berlingos with 45k on the clock priced over 13k, just out of interest did you have the new shape Berlingo?

I was fortunate in that I got what I considered a decent deal on a 19 plate and it has less than 45k on the clock, the dealership had it handed back in April and hadn't managed to sell it until I bought just over a week ago.

I have seen 4 year old Berlingos with 45k on the clock priced over 13k, just out of interest did you have the new shape Berlingo?

I was fortunate in that I got what I considered a decent deal on a 19 plate and it has less than 45k on the clock, the dealership had it handed back in April and hadn't managed to sell it until I bought just over a week ago.
No I’ve got the old shape Berlingo, 11 plate. It’s been pretty solid to be fair to it, do you mind me asking what you paid for yours?

How long will Euro 6 be ULEZ compliant though? They’ll eventually come for all diesels and then all combustion engines in general. The latter is probably a while away though.
I personally think they will reduce the size of the engines in the ULEZ as changing the emissions for something that will be banned in less than 12 years isn't really feasible

The
I think it's all a ploy to make people rent vans and cars like a mobile phone contract. Making them unaffordable for most to buy outright
The government have an agenda to make vehicle ownership a thing of the past for Joe Public , all vehicles will be owned by the manufacturer or there outlets we will have to rent them at the end of the vehicles life the manufacturer will have to recycle the whole vehicle it’s to stop cars being illegally dumped or just taken off the road and put in a garage or field , also to stop modifications being done to them , so every vehicle is traceable and to be dismantled and accounted for.

The

The government have an agenda to make vehicle ownership a thing of the past for Joe Public , all vehicles will be owned by the manufacturer or there outlets we will have to rent them at the end of the vehicles life the manufacturer will have to recycle the whole vehicle it’s to stop cars being illegally dumped or just taken off the road and put in a garage or field , also to stop modifications being done to them , so every vehicle is traceable and to be dismantled and accounted for.
If only we where like the French and stand up to the government the UK would be a way better place to live.

Latest Posts

Back