Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

The Window Ninja

Go cardless fees up from feb

The Window Ninja

Evenin' All

In the last day or two I have watched a few Youtube videos and read some forum posts about Go Cardless.

I am now convinced of the benefits, especially about the 1% fees I heard mentioned.

So I go on the Go Cardless website to sign up, only to discover that the fees are 1% plus 20p per transaction. 

Most of my work is stuff thats between 5 and 10 quid per house / shop, which make the fees more like 3 to 6% transaction.

Am I missing something here, or should I just stay with my Izettle card reader which is only 1.6% per transaction.

Any advice much appreciated.

Baz the Window Ninja.

Iron Giant

If you do a search on the forum there has been a lot of discussion about GC

adamangler

its supposed to be minimum 20p

but a lot of us seem to still be paying the old rate of 1% on any amount

Dave B
39 minutes ago, adamangler said:

its supposed to be minimum 20p

but a lot of us seem to still be paying the old rate of 1% on any amount

If you signed up before it changed you keep the old tariff as that is what you signed up to.

Mine has always been 1% flat rate and nothing else.

Mate signed up more recently and it is different for him.

laddergarder

I pay 20p to process a £10 payment. Not long signed up. By paypal, this would be 80p+. So still seems very reasonable to me. 

Cleanteam South west

I seem to be the only person on here to have my gocardless account suspended for being a partnership. I even went and brought a Ipad Pro to fix into the van so could do it on the run...... what makes it worse is they took £50 off one of my customers and the took weeks before paying him back. not a happy bunny.

laddergarder

@Cleanteam South west this doesn't sound great. What do you mean being a partnership? 

For the effort it takes to get customer to change the way they pay you. I would be gutted to spend the next few years working to signup customers to this, then have this kind of thing happen.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Wind o kleen

Gocardless requested £50 from somebody’s bank account?   

Brianbarber

Feb next year the 20 p per transaction fee

is this a thin edge of the wedge......

mr B

RyeCleanLiam

As far as I’m aware it’s going up from a 1% flat rate to 1% + 20p. So basically each transaction will be 20p more. I reckon it will cost me an extra £20 a month more in fees. But in all honesty it’s still well worth it I think for the stability and convenience of it. 

Cookie
2 hours ago, Brianbarber said:

Feb next year the 20 p per transaction fee

is this a thin edge of the wedge......

mr B

Put your prices up next year to cover it ....

RyeCleanLiam

It seems you are right the fees have gone up. I’m definitely only paying 1% flat fee with a minimum of 20p atm, but I’ve been told it’s going up for everyone if Feb next year to 1% plus 20p.

2A68DF60-A1DF-4942-BB09-12EA598455A7.jpeg

RyeCleanLiam
17 hours ago, Cleanteam South west said:

I seem to be the only person on here to have my gocardless account suspended for being a partnership. I even went and brought a Ipad Pro to fix into the van so could do it on the run...... what makes it worse is they took £50 off one of my customers and the took weeks before paying him back. not a happy bunny.

I had this issue too. I decided to go into partnership with my wife and changed my bank account on my GC Dash and it asked what I was trading as I I said a partnership. Massive error, they suspended my account too. I’d been using it a while and had quite a lot of customers on it. In the end I decided it was better to keep using GC than be in a partnership so I decided against going into partnership with my wife, emailed GC and they re activated my account straight away.

The only partnerships allowed are LLP’s.

Poles Apart

Prices will increase that's all well and good you'll be paying even more then.

Iron Giant
6 hours ago, laddergarder said:

@Cleanteam South west this doesn't sound great. What do you mean being a partnership? 

For the effort it takes to get customer to change the way they pay you. I would be gutted to spend the next few years working to signup customers to this, then have this kind of thing happen.

Anyone else had similar problems?

GC don't allow partnerships so I am thinking there is more to it I also I don't see how GC could take out £50 from a clients account without a GC customer such as us windys making a request for payment of service as GC are a middleman if you like, I have been using GC for over 5 years now without any issues.  

Cleanteam South west

Me and my wife are a partnership on the business and have been since we started in 2010, 

What happend is they set up the account an said you can now take customers as they verified, this would take a couple of days, it took two weeks of me having to ring them in the end and email over bank statements. 

If i could i would still use go cardless but they have this policy.... i cant see why its an issues.

Shammy Davis Senior

I had just gone GC only for new customers. With a doubling of fees I’ve gone back on that. I’ll continue to offer it but it isn’t my preferred payment method. 

Dave B

Will our prices increase though?

When my mate signed up it was 2% flat rate but my old account is still 1%.

Seems they aren't putting up existing accounts prices.

Bit naughty if they do as customers already signed up.

RyeCleanLiam
58 minutes ago, Shammy Davis Senior said:

I had just gone GC only for new customers. With a doubling of fees I’ve gone back on that. I’ll continue to offer it but it isn’t my preferred payment method. 

the fees haven’t doubled, if they had doubled they would have gone to 2%. It’s gone to 1% plus 20 p. For eg, before a £10 payment would have cost 20p (minimum GC fee). Now it will cost 30p. So anything up to £20 fees will be up to 15p extra, anything over that it’s just an extra 20 p on top. Nobody likes things to go up but they all do. My prices go up every year. For me personally it is still worth it, it’s my much preferred method of payment as it’s hassle free. It is also still a lot cheaper than PayPal, and cheaper than card payment options.

Shammy Davis Senior
5 hours ago, RyeCleanLiam said:

the fees haven’t doubled, if they had doubled they would have gone to 2%. It’s gone to 1% plus 20 p. For eg, before a £10 payment would have cost 20p (minimum GC fee). Now it will cost 30p. So anything up to £20 fees will be up to 15p extra, anything over that it’s just an extra 20 p on top. Nobody likes things to go up but they all do. My prices go up every year. For me personally it is still worth it, it’s my much preferred method of payment as it’s hassle free. It is also still a lot cheaper than PayPal, and cheaper than card payment options.

They have for me. More or less. My average price is around £25. Used to cost 25p, now costs 45p.

Iron Giant

Put every job up by 50p in the new year fees are then covered, I personally don't see the issue I have been using GC for over 5 years and haven't had an increase in fees in that time if my memory serves me correct so if my monthly fees increase by £15-20 it's nowt really 

Shammy Davis Senior
51 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Put every job up by 50p in the new year fees are then covered, I personally don't see the issue I have been using GC for over 5 years and haven't had an increase in fees in that time if my memory serves me correct so if my monthly fees increase by £15-20 it's nowt really 

If I was to put every job up by 50p that would give me an extra £6,000 plus the £5,000 I’ll save on GC I’ll be £11,000 up! Win, win. 

If you have cashflow problems or have or have major problems with bad payers then it may be worth the extra cost, but I have neither. I’m glad the increase came now rather than after next summer when I’d have 600-700 new customers all on GC. 

Poles Apart
6 hours ago, RyeCleanLiam said:

If it's a percentage Go Cardless would be getting an increase anyway as you should be increasing prices to your customers annually, the 20p on top is an extra charge they have added not a price increase, my fear here is that I will need to increase prices and factor this in now if I explain to the customer that my payment processing fees have increased and I have taken that in to account with pricing there's a chance they'll want to do Bank transfers which I don't want to do because that put's the customer in control and it's a PITA. 

Iron Giant
52 minutes ago, Shammy Davis Senior said:

If I was to put every job up by 50p that would give me an extra £6,000 plus the £5,000 I’ll save on GC I’ll be £11,000 up! Win, win. 

If you have cashflow problems or have or have major problems with bad payers then it may be worth the extra cost, but I have neither. I’m glad the increase came now rather than after next summer when I’d have 600-700 new customers all on GC. 

I don't have an issue with cashflow or bad payers, using GC puts me in control and enables me to effectively manage the rolling debt that comes with this business as said in over 5 years a 20p increase from GC is nothing in that time I have increased my prices on average around £1.50 so a 20p increase is very nominal this is all part of business 

I believe diesel prices have increased by more than 30p a litre in the last 5 years, I was spending £120+ a month on diesel before GC plus the wear and tear on my motor plus depreciation and also on average I was doing 18 hours of evening collections per month which overall was costing me £1,000s a year, by comparison my costs are far less on the whole with 300 clients on GC and reduced working hours etc

I also forgot to add I do struggle with my memory so automation to a point with GC and Cleaner Planner and having everything logged and tracked helps me massively and will continue to do so, so for me it's more of personal thing than it might be for others 🙂

Edited by Iron Giant
additional text

Wind o kleen

Have GC sent emails or anything on website regarding price increase?

C Rose Cleaning Services
42 minutes ago, Wind o kleen said:

Have GC sent emails or anything on website regarding price increase?

Yes it was at the footer of an email sent out today, and it’s also on their website.

58 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

I don't have an issue with cashflow or bad payers, using GC puts me in control and enables me to effectively manage the rolling debt that comes with this business as said in over 5 years a 20p increase from GC is nothing in that time I have increased my prices on average around £1.50 so a 20p increase is very nominal this is all part of business 

I believe diesel prices have increased by more than 30p a litre in the last 5 years, I was spending £120+ a month on diesel before GC plus the wear and tear on my motor plus depreciation and also on average I was doing 18 hours of evening collections per month which overall was costing me £1,000s a year, by comparison my costs are far less on the whole with 300 clients on GC and reduced working hours etc

I also forgot to add I do struggle with my memory so automation to a point with GC and Cleaner Planner and having everything logged and tracked helps me massively and will continue to do so, so for me it's more of personal thing than it might be for others 🙂

100% this, it’s all about spending your time better. GC allows collection of all my old BACS payers without any hassle at all. Never needing to check the bank or send reminders is more than worth both the 1% and 1%+20p. It’s still cheaper than SumUp, Square or iZettle invoicing by miles with none of the fuss.

I have no idea what everyone is getting so antsy about, my prices have gone up 3x by about £1 per time since I started using GC. This is peanuts. Get a grip.

RyeCleanLiam

I put my prices up every year by £1 minimum anyway so I’d be a hypocrite to complain about a 20p increase in processing 😂 the way I look at it for me is it’s simple really. I’m not worried at all about paying an extra £20 a month in processing, it’s mega worth it for the ease of GC. Not only does it improve cash flow but it makes life a lot easier, no sending invoices, no checking bank statements to see who’s paid by Bacs (although I use Starling bank so get a notification anyway), no travelling to the bank to pay cash in. Do the job, 7 days later it’s in your bank. Today I’ve taken £120 on GC, by next Tuesday that money will all drop

in the bank at the same time.

If I was really concerned about the Fee and cost of it, then I’d just go out and pick up a job or two to cover the extra £20-£30 a month it will cost me in fees then job done. But thankfully I’m not.

C Rose Cleaning Services
1 hour ago, Poles Apart said:

If it's a percentage Go Cardless would be getting an increase anyway as you should be increasing prices to your customers annually, the 20p on top is an extra charge they have added not a price increase, my fear here is that I will need to increase prices and factor this in now if I explain to the customer that my payment processing fees have increased and I have taken that in to account with pricing there's a chance they'll want to do Bank transfers which I don't want to do because that put's the customer in control and it's a PITA. 

Why would you need to increase the customers price by 20p to cover this charge? It’s 20 pence per customer, hardly a deal breaker is it?