Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go cardless fees up from feb

WCF

Help Support WCF:

the fees haven’t doubled, if they had doubled they would have gone to 2%. It’s gone to 1% plus 20 p. For eg, before a £10 payment would have cost 20p (minimum GC fee). Now it will cost 30p. So anything up to £20 fees will be up to 15p extra, anything over that it’s just an extra 20 p on top. Nobody likes things to go up but they all do. My prices go up every year. For me personally it is still worth it, it’s my much preferred method of payment as it’s hassle free. It is also still a lot cheaper than PayPal, and cheaper than card payment options.
They have for me. More or less. My average price is around £25. Used to cost 25p, now costs 45p.

Put every job up by 50p in the new year fees are then covered, I personally don't see the issue I have been using GC for over 5 years and haven't had an increase in fees in that time if my memory serves me correct so if my monthly fees increase by £15-20 it's nowt really 

Put every job up by 50p in the new year fees are then covered, I personally don't see the issue I have been using GC for over 5 years and haven't had an increase in fees in that time if my memory serves me correct so if my monthly fees increase by £15-20 it's nowt really 
If I was to put every job up by 50p that would give me an extra £6,000 plus the £5,000 I’ll save on GC I’ll be £11,000 up! Win, win. 

If you have cashflow problems or have or have major problems with bad payers then it may be worth the extra cost, but I have neither. I’m glad the increase came now rather than after next summer when I’d have 600-700 new customers all on GC. 

the fees haven’t doubled, if they had doubled they would have gone to 2%. It’s gone to 1% plus 20 p. For eg, before a £10 payment would have cost 20p (minimum GC fee). Now it will cost 30p. So anything up to £20 fees will be up to 15p extra, anything over that it’s just an extra 20 p on top. Nobody likes things to go up but they all do. My prices go up every year. For me personally it is still worth it, it’s my much preferred method of payment as it’s hassle free. It is also still a lot cheaper than PayPal, and cheaper than card payment options.
If it's a percentage Go Cardless would be getting an increase anyway as you should be increasing prices to your customers annually, the 20p on top is an extra charge they have added not a price increase, my fear here is that I will need to increase prices and factor this in now if I explain to the customer that my payment processing fees have increased and I have taken that in to account with pricing there's a chance they'll want to do Bank transfers which I don't want to do because that put's the customer in control and it's a PITA. 

If I was to put every job up by 50p that would give me an extra £6,000 plus the £5,000 I’ll save on GC I’ll be £11,000 up! Win, win. 

If you have cashflow problems or have or have major problems with bad payers then it may be worth the extra cost, but I have neither. I’m glad the increase came now rather than after next summer when I’d have 600-700 new customers all on GC. 
I don't have an issue with cashflow or bad payers, using GC puts me in control and enables me to effectively manage the rolling debt that comes with this business as said in over 5 years a 20p increase from GC is nothing in that time I have increased my prices on average around £1.50 so a 20p increase is very nominal this is all part of business 

I believe diesel prices have increased by more than 30p a litre in the last 5 years, I was spending £120+ a month on diesel before GC plus the wear and tear on my motor plus depreciation and also on average I was doing 18 hours of evening collections per month which overall was costing me £1,000s a year, by comparison my costs are far less on the whole with 300 clients on GC and reduced working hours etc

I also forgot to add I do struggle with my memory so automation to a point with GC and Cleaner Planner and having everything logged and tracked helps me massively and will continue to do so, so for me it's more of personal thing than it might be for others ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have GC sent emails or anything on website regarding price increase?
Yes it was at the footer of an email sent out today, and it’s also on their website.

I don't have an issue with cashflow or bad payers, using GC puts me in control and enables me to effectively manage the rolling debt that comes with this business as said in over 5 years a 20p increase from GC is nothing in that time I have increased my prices on average around £1.50 so a 20p increase is very nominal this is all part of business 

I believe diesel prices have increased by more than 30p a litre in the last 5 years, I was spending £120+ a month on diesel before GC plus the wear and tear on my motor plus depreciation and also on average I was doing 18 hours of evening collections per month which overall was costing me £1,000s a year, by comparison my costs are far less on the whole with 300 clients on GC and reduced working hours etc

I also forgot to add I do struggle with my memory so automation to a point with GC and Cleaner Planner and having everything logged and tracked helps me massively and will continue to do so, so for me it's more of personal thing than it might be for others ?

100% this, it’s all about spending your time better. GC allows collection of all my old BACS payers without any hassle at all. Never needing to check the bank or send reminders is more than worth both the 1% and 1%+20p. It’s still cheaper than SumUp, Square or iZettle invoicing by miles with none of the fuss.

I have no idea what everyone is getting so antsy about, my prices have gone up 3x by about £1 per time since I started using GC. This is peanuts. Get a grip.

I put my prices up every year by £1 minimum anyway so I’d be a hypocrite to complain about a 20p increase in processing ? the way I look at it for me is it’s simple really. I’m not worried at all about paying an extra £20 a month in processing, it’s mega worth it for the ease of GC. Not only does it improve cash flow but it makes life a lot easier, no sending invoices, no checking bank statements to see who’s paid by Bacs (although I use Starling bank so get a notification anyway), no travelling to the bank to pay cash in. Do the job, 7 days later it’s in your bank. Today I’ve taken £120 on GC, by next Tuesday that money will all drop

in the bank at the same time.

If I was really concerned about the Fee and cost of it, then I’d just go out and pick up a job or two to cover the extra £20-£30 a month it will cost me in fees then job done. But thankfully I’m not.

If it's a percentage Go Cardless would be getting an increase anyway as you should be increasing prices to your customers annually, the 20p on top is an extra charge they have added not a price increase, my fear here is that I will need to increase prices and factor this in now if I explain to the customer that my payment processing fees have increased and I have taken that in to account with pricing there's a chance they'll want to do Bank transfers which I don't want to do because that put's the customer in control and it's a PITA. 

Why would you need to increase the customers price by 20p to cover this charge? It’s 20 pence per customer, hardly a deal breaker is it?

Yes it was at the footer of an email sent out today, and it’s also on their website.

100% this, it’s all about spending your time better. GC allows collection of all my old BACS payers without any hassle at all. Never needing to check the bank or send reminders is more than worth both the 1% and 1%+20p. It’s still cheaper than SumUp, Square or iZettle invoicing by miles with none of the fuss.

I have no idea what everyone is getting so antsy about, my prices have gone up 3x by about £1 per time since I started using GC. This is peanuts. Get a grip.
Could you send me the link from website with it on , as I can’t find anything about it and I have never received email from them about this also asked somebody else and they haven’t 

I never used card readers, but I do still have over 100 jobs that pay cash or bacs these are a mix of longterm jobs and new ones people in there late 70's-80's etc were I know there is no issue with paying even if they owe twice or more I also have some that pay in advance 3-12 month in advance.

It's basic business procedure all businesses pass on costs to customers if energy companies have to pay more for gas they don't freeze prices.
so every time you buy fuel and the price has fluctuated you add it on to prices? Come on mate, it’s 20p, not £5. Just incorporate it into your next price increase which should be minimum of bi-annually anyway. 

so every time you buy fuel and the price has fluctuated you add it on to prices? Come on mate, it’s 20p, not £5. Just incorporate it into your next price increase which should be minimum of bi-annually anyway. 
Inflation is the reason for price increases not just fuel, the Go Cardless fee is not a price increase it's a separate charge and where will it end?

Why would you need to increase the customers price by 20p to cover this charge? It’s 20 pence per customer, hardly a deal breaker is it?
It’s not a big deal if you’ve only got about 300 customers and only 50 or so on Gocardless. If you’ve got 2,000 and they’re all on GC, that’s your bill doubled from £2,500 to £5,000. That’s a big increase for the same service. I’ve refused PayPal and card readers and I’ll no longer push Gocardless as with 2,000 customers it’s still only about 2 hours work a week to tick off payments. Each to their own. 

It’s not a big deal if you’ve only got about 300 customers and only 50 or so on Gocardless. If you’ve got 2,000 and they’re all on GC, that’s your bill doubled from £2,500 to £5,000. That’s a big increase for the same service. I’ve refused PayPal and card readers and I’ll no longer push Gocardless as with 2,000 customers it’s still only about 2 hours work a week to tick off payments. Each to their own. 

If you’ve got 2000 customers on GC you shouldn’t even be on their basic plan, so you’d be paying less than the entry fee anyway. Perhaps this is something you need to have a chat with them about as by your maths you're turning over ~600k a year with those fees.

All tax deductible anyway, so I really don’t see the issue here. I’d never ever go back to chasing BACS payments, especially 2 hours a week worth of admin to check they've come in. 

2% fee for the service they’re providing is more than fair in my opinion. 

I can guarantee your price increases have been more than 1% over 6 years since they launched though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’ve got 2000 customers on GC you shouldn’t even be on their basic plan, so you’d be paying less than the entry fee anyway. Perhaps this is something you need to have a chat with them about as by your maths you're turning over ~600k a year with those fees.

All tax deductible anyway, so I really don’t see the issue here. I’d never ever go back to chasing BACS payments, especially 2 hours a week worth of admin to check they've come in. 

2% fee for the service they’re providing is more than fair in my opinion. 

I can guarantee your price increases have been more than 1% over 6 years since they launched though. 
I think you’re struggling to grasp that their fee increase is 100% and not 1%. 

I don’t have 2,000 on it. I have about 100 of 2,000 on it and had made the decision to make it compulsory for all new customers two weeks ago. I’ve changed my mind though with the fee increase.

I think you’re struggling to grasp that their fee increase is 100% and not 1%. 

I don’t have 2,000 on it. I have about 100 of 2,000 on it and had made the decision to make it compulsory for all new customers two weeks ago. I’ve changed my mind though with the fee increase.
And what you’re failing to grasp is that 2% is insignificant for the cash flow and additional bonus of no debt chasing. 

Each to their own, but if 2% of your yearly turnover isn’t worth 100+ hours of admin checking payments and chasing customers then there’s no helping you really. Your debt list must be enormous if you only take manual transfers. 

Yes if you have 300 jobs on GC and are paying lets say £30 a month currently on the basis of a 1% charge then the overall cost will triple to £90 per month because of the 20p charge, because £0.20 x 300 =£60, I only did some maths today so overall it's a big hike, because we like many other businesses no doubt will have 100's if not 1,000's of transaction each month 

Yes if you have 300 jobs on GC and are paying lets say £30 a month currently on the basis of a 1% charge then the overall cost will triple to £90 per month because of the 20p charge, because £0.20 x 300 =£60, I only did some maths today so overall it's a big hike, because we like many other businesses no doubt will have 100's if not 1,000's of transaction each month 

Call me old fashioned but we only accept, cash, cheques, BACS payments , no charges with any of theses , this is yet another reason why I won’t use this type of payment you are always at the mercy of the company running it if they put up prices there is nothing you can do about it , and with a sizeable business it would be a nightmare after getting hundreds or thousands of customers to alter payment methods . 

For the same reasons I will not use the software companies either again you are at there mercy if something goes wrong until they fix the problem there is nothing you can do , same if they decide to put up there prices , and you are relying on a 3rd party with all your customer data base , none of which Ime happy to share with them ..

Back