Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

-2 degrees tonight

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sympathise with you @Dino I've had a similar experience this morning. Thinking I was all clear to go at 9 this morning I drove to the first house, unpacked my gear, turned on the backpack, connected it up and pulled the univalve. Water came straight out then stopped dead!

ended up taking the goose neck off to see what's what, turns out the valve had frozen inside and out, blocking the flow. Rubbed it between my hands and the ice shattered off, valve became unstuck and off we go again.

seems like the valve is the weak point, no sign of damage however once it was warmed up. Maybe ice in the line as well compounding the problem. Least it's getting a tad warmer tomorrow so I can catch up.
Glad you got sorted Ana.  It did give me the day to make more pure at home and research sky vac atoms! 

Any advice on how I can prevent this happening again?  Ive brought my pole indoors, I am guessing there will be ice in the pole hose?  Got some de-icer but unclear if I should use it in my pure water.  Im only a small set up with one pole and a back pack.  My capacity is about 175L of pure in 25 L water cans.
You basically have 2 options, either heat your van overnight or bring everything indoors. Personally I would bring everything in side your house. I appreciate that not everyone will agree but instead of heating van, and costing you more money, to around 6 or 7 degrees your house will be circa 20 degrees so the water will be warmer and on really cold days this should prevent any early freeze ups. 

Haz, I have to hand it to you. You have come a long way since those training days and your single Berlingo van. Much respect from me to you because I honesty didn't think you were going to make it. Actually, neither did the trainers and some of the others on the course.

Good on you. ?
Thank you Spruce mate , i miss the little Berlingo ? lol , I dont blame u or anyone on the course for thinking that after u seen me fall asleep on every occasion in the class room ?  I think i spent more time asleep then i actually did paying attention to the trainer lol.

Classrooms really do suck the energy out of me especially when your sat in there for over 1 hour... ! Classrooms are not my cup of tea, but when i was at school it was okay because i would just mess around lol.

Its been 7 years now since that training course in 2012 , I had only started up 5 months before the course had started, it was all new to me and the learning course helped me a lot on getting where i am today so a big thanks to Impact43 and Ian Wicks

?

Backpack hose had frozen so stuck it in footwell for the drive to customer and softwash a whole house today and pressure washed patio and paths.

Was a bit chilly though.

Collage 2019-11-19 16_37_35.jpg

Just fitted a 2kw immersion element in van as per squeeky clean daves youtube video, been good so far, just trying to work out how long to put it on for n what setting, as had it on to low n water barely warm, another time it was 45oc so to hot, so got a timer on to give it 3 hours in evening n 3 hours during night. Keeps van warm as well.  

In saying that i just put in oil filled radiator last night just above frost protection as wasnt working in the cold today.

Backpack hose had frozen so stuck it in footwell for the drive to customer and softwash a whole house today and pressure washed patio and paths.

Was a bit chilly though.

View attachment 18411
Did u find tbe SH worked ok? As it doesnt work that well when cold i thought. Tried using it last year when just above freezing n it didnt really work had to power wash the patio. 

Think the pics speak for themselves:) 

Just fitted a 2kw immersion element in van as per squeeky clean daves youtube video, been good so far, just trying to work out how long to put it on for n what setting, as had it on to low n water barely warm, another time it was 45oc so to hot, so got a timer on to give it 3 hours in evening n 3 hours during night. Keeps van warm as well.  

In saying that i just put in oil filled radiator last night just above frost protection as wasnt working in the cold today.

Did u find tbe SH worked ok? As it doesnt work that well when cold i thought. Tried using it last year when just above freezing n it didnt really work had to power wash the patio. 

I find that it's ok above -3° which it was only just first thing this morning. 

Was only a 2% mix as well.

What did you use to get the porch tiles to come up as good as that ? Nice job ??
Hypo.. 40 minutes dwell and light pressure wash off.

40° tip and half revs and blasted it off my ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know what tank you have but here's my experience: 650 litre Wyedale flat tank. 2kw immersion, loads of insulation on tank, switch on late afternoon or early evening, I aim for a temperature of about 60c in the tank to have nice hot water for work. I don't worry about it being on for a long time as once it's up to temperature it only cuts in and out infrequently,  so doesn't cost a whole lot.

Transformed my work speed and efficiency for very little outlay.

Was a bit chilly though.

View attachment 18411

How did you find the hypo at that temperature?? It’s recomended not to use it below 10 degrees , I did a job a couple of years back at -2 with 3 month out of date hypo it came up well but did take a lot longer than normal . 

How did you find the hypo at that temperature?? It’s recomended not to use it below 10 degrees , I did a job a couple of years back at -2 with 3 month out of date hypo it came up well but did take a lot longer than normal . 
It was fine mate.

New 25l drum as had some delivered friday and was spot on.

Applied with wfp.

Used pressure washer from a distance to rinse the render down after 45 minutes dwell and spot on.

I did have a few spots to touch up after rinsing though.. 

Back