2 quick questions about IBC tanks

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Window Cleaning' started by choco, May 5, 2015.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

  1. choco

    choco Member

    May 10, 2014
    Likes Received:
    Been using Di tanks for the last 8 months, just moved house and the tdi is 350 so on to the IBC tanks. They're going to be outside for the time being, and will go in a shed fairly soon. I've got a bog standard hose pipe end on the IBC tank, will the pressure alone be enough to fill my tank in the van up fairly quick ( van will be about a metre from IBC) or will I need a pump? And is it ok just to fill the IBC tanks on the drive way? (It's in the metal frame/legs) or will I need to secure the floor better, don't want to damage the drive. Cheers.
  2. peter rogers

    peter rogers Grand Master

    Feb 24, 2015
    Likes Received:
    Itl take forever to transffer. get cheap pump itl be done in minutes
  3. spruce

    spruce Grand Master

    Jun 4, 2012
    Likes Received:
    As Peter says, you need a transfer pump. A submersible pump is good. Most IBC tanks have small fillers, and if this is so with your IBC tank then you will have to cut the top of the tank from the thread out in 2 lengths so you create a flap. Insert the sub pump in an tape up with duck tape or silicone the joints to keep dirt out.

    We get a length of transfer hose from Machine Mart. They do it in 1 or 1 1/2" and sell it by the meter. Buy a reasonable length so you have a bit of excess. If you need more later you can always join it with plastic fittings, also sold by Machine Mart. Stainless steel hose clamps (Jubilee or worm drive) will be needed to secure the pipe onto your submersible pump. Machine Mart should also have those; if not screwfix does.)

    We use 1". Drill a 1" hole with a hole-saw on the top for your pipe to exit and another hole for your electric your cable. You can use a cable gland to hold the wire securely. You will probably have to cut the plug off so you can feed it through the gland or the hole if you aren't using a gland. So you will need to buy another 13amp plug, but you must use the correct size fuse.

    If you are worried about damaging the driveway then you could sit the frame on a sheet 'water resistant' wood or some rubber flooring/matting. The base is 1 square meter (should be) so you won't need much.

    You will need to cover your IBC tank with something to keep the sunlight out or else green algae with thrive in the water in no time.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List