Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

5 stage RO system help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Your water would be classed as med soft so it’s is not a major issue compared to someone who has ppm of 400 +. 

If someone who has hard water quality listened to someone in soft water area the information would be wrong. As the person who lives in very hard water area he needs to flush it longer.

The main issues I’ve seen where membranes fail is dirty water caused by burst water mains etc... 

Another problem is cheep filters where the carbon burns the membrane sheet.

Also I hard water areas where they are not flushing and there is calcium build up in the membrane which clogs it.

This is why they should never ask me how often I flush my membrane.

Your water would be classed as med soft so it’s is not a major issue compared to someone who has ppm of 400 +. 

If someone who has hard water quality listened to someone in soft water area the information would be wrong. As the person who lives in very hard water area he needs to flush it longer.

The main issues I’ve seen where membranes fail is dirty water caused by burst water mains etc... 

Another problem is cheep filters where the carbon burns the membrane sheet.

Also I hard water areas where they are not flushing and there is calcium build up in the membrane which clogs it.

yes I understand what you are saying but why do you need to flush a new membrane for several hours there is nothing to flush out Shorly ? I understand what spruce is saying about manufacturing residue etc , but it seams way over the top and a waist of water to flush a new one for that long ???

Membranes are coated in chemicals to protect the membrane sheet. To wash the chemicals out the manufacturer advises flushing for 24 hours which is a long time.

i advise flushing for least 2/3 hours and then checking the ppm. Normally it will be 95% rejection and if you’re happy with that over a period of days of usage it will drop to 97/98% rejection rate.

When building a system I always get it down to 98% but this will take 8/9 hours of flushing.

Membranes are coated in chemicals to protect the membrane sheet. To wash the chemicals out the manufacturer advises flushing for 24 hours which is a long time.

i advise flushing for least 2/3 hours and then checking the ppm. Normally it will be 95% rejection and if you’re happy with that over a period of days of usage it will drop to 97/98% rejection rate.

When building a system I always get it down to 98% but this will take 8/9 hours of flushing.
 True, I remember with my set up, it took a good few hours or more before the figures got to their best.

I have used cheap membranes and had low tds straight away but they don't last 5 minutes. 

Had axeon off @doug atkinson and produced at 30 after hours of flushing.

After a couple of days of normal use dropped to 9ppm from 340ppm which is perdect.

Just needs the **** flushing out.

Lasted a whole lot longer as 3 years on still using 3x300gpd membranes in my small ro with no issues.

I do flush with pure once a month and flush for 5 mins each time I turn it on and use about 400-500l per day.

Worth paying for good ones and flushing with pure regularly. 

Cheap ones probably work out the same in the long run but no worrying about changing them all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ah ok thanks for that Dough , 

Just wanted to thank Spruce, Dough and all of you for the great help given on setting up my new membrane.

Once I fixed my mistakes I wasn't getting low tds so I thought I did damage the membrane.

Decided to flush the membrane for the last time before thinking about buying a new one.

I flashed the membrane for 24h and now ppm is 6 at 40pure 60waste.

Thank you.

Just wanted to thank Spruce, Dough and all of you for the great help given on setting up my new membrane.

Once I fixed my mistakes I wasn't getting low tds so I thought I did damage the membrane.

Decided to flush the membrane for the last time before thinking about buying a new one.

I flashed the membrane for 24h and now ppm is 6 at 40pure 60waste.

Thank you.

You need to thank @doug atkinson. He was the one who spotted the issue. It wasn't me. I'm the dummy who originally looked at your photo and my brain glazed over. ?

But I'm glad you got it sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back