Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice needed on hot water hose reel.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I used to run gas, but I passed an over cleaners van that had literally blown the sides.of because of a gas explosion. I'll stick to cold now. I didn't use hot for years at a time anyway.

That's because people sleep in them.

That's true, but people don't sleep in catering vans/trailers and they also have to have the gas bottle outside.

We fitted a gas heater to my mates van and he stored the gas bottle inside. The regulator started to leak gas and filled the van with gas whilst he was working. The leak was inside the regulator, not where it couples onto the gas bottle. The regulator was only a month or so old.

He removed the system that night. Now I know that gas in an enclosed area needs oxygen to ignite. The way I understand it is that it won't ignite unless all the criteria is met, but there are a couple of YouTube video showing their owners yachts being destroyed by fire caused by a gas leak.

There are no regulations that cover gas heating on window cleaning vans, so we have to follow the spirit of the regulations that cover catering vans and motorhomes. The insurance company I was insured with at one time would not cover my van with a working gas heater and gas bottle inside the van. I phoned and asked.

If I would ever consider fitting gas into my van, I would go for a Gas-it tank secured underneath the van with an external filler. They can also be used inside the van as they have that enclosure that covers the inlet, regulator and outlet and should any gas escape, its vented through the floor and outside. The heater would also have to be vented through the roof. I would also need to contact my current insurance company and get it cleared by them.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't seen that one before. The driver was fortunate to survive. I wonder how insurance dealt with it.

The regulations for catering vans say that the gas must be turned off when in motion (presume at the bottle.) I imagine this also applies to RV's. Some 50 to 60 years ago my parents had caravans with gas refrigeration. They used to travel with the fridge lit. If they didn't the contents would go off in the African heat. I do remember the occassional times when the gas flame blew out. I can remember this making my Dad rather annoyed. 12v/220v/gas fridges weren't manufactured/or available back then. It was gas or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen that one before. The driver was fortunate to survive. I wonder how insurance dealt with it.

The regulations for catering vans say that the gas must be turned off when in motion (presume at the bottle.) I imagine this also applies to RV's. Some 50 to 60 years ago my parents had caravans with gas refrigeration. They used to travel with the fridge lit. If they didn't the contents would go off in the African heat. I do remember the occassional times when the gas flame blew out. I can remember this making my Dad rather annoyed. 12v/220v/gas fridges weren't manufactured/or available back then. It was gas or nothing.
Africa Caravan,Whats wrong with cornwall!

Hi guys, fitting an lpg boiler to my van. I've heard with using hot water you need to do a few things to my hose reel like a different washer and cable tie inside of the reel. Anyone any advice please? 
take it out mate...dont be stupid....THEY ARE NOT SAFE.....i had a leak and explosion....i took it out that evening and took it to the tip the next day....you wont be covered with insurance either....there is no way they will insure you working away from the van with your gas heater on and a source of ignition nearby(battery connections)......

if you want hot water you ve got 2 choices......

immersion fitted to your tank(very cheap method)

professionally fitted diesel heater(expensive but best option for continuous hot water)

as for hot water reels buy a decent reel with stainless steel fittings and double clamp everything,the hose to the side of the reel should be black car radiator hose.....

Latest Posts

Back