Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Freezing weather

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joe Preston

Hi guys, im on wfp due to the freezing conditions my ports on my van are freezing over as soon as ive done one job any advice on how to stop it freezing. I usually use hot water in these conditions but im waiting on a new boiler.

Thanks in advance

Any advice on how to still clean with wfp on a customer's house safely when it's
- 1, more worried about the water on the floor and freezing rather then the windows freezing, any solution for stopping it freezing on the ground?

I've heard you can't use salt as can be poisonous to dogs etc so any advice would be great ?

Thanks

I do not use salt or any substitution. It's winter. I made the customer's mindset that way. If ice is under their window, or on the steps, it's because is winter. That is not a kind of negligence. Take it this way - your customers keep the huge plant pots in front of the terraced doors, they keep obstacles all around the house all year round, and you are concerned about leaving the natural process taking place. If, however, you want to go extra mile for your customers, carry a salt and ask them, if they prefer to sprinkle the pathway or steps. If they refuse, well, what can you offer to them - sand? Grit?

Any advice on how to still clean with wfp on a customer's house safely when it's
- 1, more worried about the water on the floor and freezing rather then the windows freezing, any solution for stopping it freezing on the ground?

I've heard you can't use salt as can be poisonous to dogs etc so any advice would be great ?

Thanks
Im more worried about killing a customer from a fall accident than poison some dog, i always carry loads of salt onboard!

I do not use salt or any substitution. It's winter. I made the customer's mindset that way. If ice is under their window, or on the steps, it's because is winter. That is not a kind of negligence. Take it this way - your customers keep the huge plant pots in front of the terraced doors, they keep obstacles all around the house all year round, and you are concerned about leaving the natural process taking place. If, however, you want to go extra mile for your customers, carry a salt and ask them, if they prefer to sprinkle the pathway or steps. If they refuse, well, what can you offer to them - sand? Grit?

I'm not sure a court would see it that way if someone tried to claim you. The reason for it would be because of the water left after cleaning the windows. If you didn't clean the windows then then the hazard isn't there. Regardless if it's winter or not.

We carry white de-icing salt on the van. We use it as we deem necessary. We don't ask the customer any more, like we once did.

We have a couple of jobs on the High Street and water from the windows can definitely create a slip hazard on the pavement. There is a council gritting salt bin near by which I use to grit the pavement. I also spread salt on the pavement of a street house we do further down the road. I use my own salt to do that as we do with a shop entrance in a local village.

I take photos of the pavement showing the grit every time I salt them in winter. That covers me.

I use a excelerator squeegee with fliq pad on a pole for the windows above where people could slip
Takes some skill but easy to learn
Clean but safe

No snow here, with what I have been reading here I am sort of surprised that the news hasn't been reporting snow. Then again there doesn't seem to be any snow in London so no reason to report it ?

It doesn't mean that there isn't snow.

Back in 1999 I was working in Reading. There was a weather front coming in from the east along the M4 corridor bearing snow. There was no weather forecast indicating this.

A local radio station was asking people to phone in and report when the band of snow reached them so it could be tracked, and it's progress noted for their listeners.

And we all are regularly reminded about the Michael Fish story in 1987. "There was no hurricane coming into Britain but it was going to be windy in Spain." That hurricane cost many lives in Britain and cost a fortune in damage.

Keep a flask of hot water in your van for brush jets and ports...

I don't envy you not having hot water in these conditions!

What's wrong with your boiler?
Sorry for the late reply mate ive been ill. The boiler ive broke the plastic where the batteries go I’ve ordered a new one. Ive got the L5 eccotemp. I after have the water on very high for it to come out. Its £180 for a new boiler. You don’t know of any better boiler do you.

Sorry for the late reply mate ive been ill. The boiler ive broke the plastic where the batteries go I’ve ordered a new one. Ive got the L5 eccotemp. I after have the water on very high for it to come out. Its £180 for a new boiler. You don’t know of any better boiler do you.
Using a gas boiler in the back of your van is very dangerous as I don't believe any of them are designed for use in a vehicle or intended for use multiple hours a day. There are many instances of them leaking gas and igniting causing fires. I bet if you asked your insurance company if you are covered when using an L5 Ecotemp boiler and gas bottle in the back of your van they would say no.

The diesel webasto heaters are designed to work in vehicles - not the way they are used in window cleaning but they are used for long duration heating in narrow boats. There are 'reputable' companies that sell hot water systems that should be ok with insurance companies but I appreciate they are a lot of money but how much would it cost you if your van blew up? The other thing to consider is if you employ anyone as then you could have much bigger problems that a destroyed van should something go wrong!

Hi Joe I've had both the L5 and L10 ecotemps in the past many years ago until I had a gas leak in the back of my brand new van back in 2017 and had a small explosion.i took it out the same day and took it to the tip.
I've had a 9kw webasto diesel heater ever since.pricey but a million times better than a gas boiler....safer too.

Latest Posts

Back