Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Poles freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Better taking a few days off. The problem is when one has a big run then its near impossible to catch up. That's the reason I like 2 weeks in the month to do my round and 2 weeks for add-ons. I have 3 gutters to clear but no point till Temp is up.
I planned my business from the outset at 4 days per week 4 to 5 hours per day. Reason being is that I could see that if I was ill or there was bad weather etc then doing 5 full days per week would not be achievable year round. So as it is I've had 2 work days off this week so only worked 2 meaning that next week I have to do 4 x 6 hour days to catch up.

It's taken longer as I've had to charge more to achieve this (6 to 7 hours pay in say 4.5 hours) but it means that I'm always able to run to a tight schedule and weather, illness or van off the road doesn't hurt the business in the same way.

Run multiple vans on a short budget leads to stress and burnout. I can see that with some folk on the forum. Folk start up in the Spring and get through first winter because they don't have alot of customers. After many years with hundreds of customers, vans and workers then all it takes is a bad winter, worker goes off sick or van breaks down and it becomes a nightmare. Having a mate who is a mechanic helps enormously I have found out when my brake pipe burst.

I have managed to work all week, bar yesterday and it turns out I could of probably worked yesterday too. Oil filled rad in the back, was still frozen the next morning yesterday - tried to defrost it from 6.30 to 8.30, no joy. Went out and did some errands, came home and text my customers to say I wasn't coming at 11 only to discover just after I was no longer frozen and could have worked.

Once the pipes have frozen the oil rad just doesnt give off enough heat to thaw it out. All you can do is remove the pipes and defrost them.

Utter :poop: get out and crack on, I can smash out well over 400 jobs on my own don't start till about 9am and home before 4pm ??
Did a first clean today and guy came out with big swollen ankle. He was walking the dog and tried to run after it and twisted his ankle. Off work and it's his busy time so he will be losing plenty of money. ???

Better taking a few days off. The problem is when one has a big run then its near impossible to catch up. That's the reason I like 2 weeks in the month to do my round and 2 weeks for add-ons. I have 3 gutters to clear but no point till Temp is up.
Surely it’s better to have too much work than not enough? Then yeah you will never catch-up but your making more money than you need so it’s no issue ??‍♂️

The older you get more wiser you are supposedly
That's how the old saying goes, but not for me as I still manage to flood my van a few times a year and my garage so definitely not wiser as it's never happened so much than in the last 2 years I have been wfp almost 14 years

Yes but is money every thing like the saying goes every thing in moderation. Money is important but not if it interferes with family time there has to be a happy medium
Money is in no way everything. What I’m saying is, aim to have more work than you financially need (while still maintaining a balance). That way if you fall behind for whatever reason it’s not going to have a massive financial impact.

Personally, I have made the mistake of not doing this. So next year I have goals to fix this mistake. I don’t actually plan on working anymore days per month, but rather optimise the days I have. So it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference to family time, rest, etc. But will mean if I have a week I can’t work, I can just shrug it off.

Money is in no way everything. What I’m saying is, aim to have more work than you financially need (while still maintaining a balance). That way if you fall behind for whatever reason it’s not going to have a massive financial impact.

Personally, I have made the mistake of not doing this. So next year I have goals to fix this mistake. I don’t actually plan on working anymore days per month, but rather optimise the days I have. So it’s not going to make a blind bit of difference to family time, rest, etc. But will mean if I have a week I can’t work, I can just shrug it off.
Its boring but one has to sit down and do a financial budget. I'm lucky all my outgoings are paid with pension so I can save my earnings and buy equipment cash but you need some money at hand for emergencies. The add-ons are good because you don't need to do them right away. You want a maximum of 3 weeks a month window cleaning and a week off or catch up, that's my thinking about this game.

I’m currently jumping round my kitchen to this mate

Around 27 minutes in at the mo
Proper tune

I'll have a listen later, that Nia set is proppa good she loves the old Jungle and won a Mobo award this year for 23 year old kid she is making waves with massive Jungle movement going on now

Its boring but one has to sit down and do a financial budget. I'm lucky all my outgoings are paid with pension so I can save my earnings and buy equipment cash but you need some money at hand for emergencies. The add-ons are good because you don't need to do them right away. You want a maximum of 3 weeks a month window cleaning and a week off or catch up, that's my thinking about this game.
I have a budget but I cut down on the number of days I worked but cut down a bit too much. My plan is to optimise and maximise the days I do.

Everyone is different but personally I have no time for add on work. I tried gutters but didn’t enjoy it. Would much rather stick to windows. Simple, enjoyable, effective. ??

I have a budget but I cut down on the number of days I worked but cut down a bit too much. My plan is to optimise and maximise the days I do.

Everyone is different but personally I have no time for add on work. I tried gutters but didn’t enjoy it. Would much rather stick to windows. Simple, enjoyable, effective. ??
I'm looking for customers near me so I don't have to travel far, that's my game plan. Picked up one today near an old customer.

I'll have a listen later, that Nia set is proppa good she loves the old Jungle and won a Mobo award this year for 23 year old kid she is making waves with massive Jungle movement going on now
If you gonna listen later listen to the Kenny Ken disc also
Classic

You’ve been in this industry less than 3 years but telling windies who’ve been in the industry for over 30 years how it should be done ??

Loads of mentions on here about ‘catching up’.
What’s to catch up? Just start again where you left off. Having a few days off is only a problem if you have a ‘schedule’.

Back