Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Poles freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joe Preston

Any tips on stopping poles freezing in this minus weather. I’m on hot and cold wfp set up but port one is the only hot water port I can use port 2 is just for cold water. Me and me son had to stop yesterday due to the poles freezing… Also best place for carbon poles thanks in advance guys

Running water doesn’t freeze. Tell him to work faster ? you could rig something up to connect the hot to the other hose reel, if it freezes up then just plug it in and run it through for a few minutes. Also worth having a return to tank even on the cold so you can keep it flowing between jobs.

Any tips on stopping poles freezing in this minus weather. I’m on hot and cold wfp set up but port one is the only hot water port I can use port 2 is just for cold water. Me and me son had to stop yesterday due to the poles freezing… Also best place for carbon poles thanks in advance guys
You don't give us much detail as to when your poles are freezing up.

We have a pole rack down the right-hand side of my van I made up. When we finish a job, we shake the bush off first and disconnect the pole from the hose reel hose. We then open our Univalves and put the pole in the van brush first. As we coil the pole hose up, we drain the water out of the pole hose. The poles are supported by 2 gutter brackets, so the coiled pole hose is put over the back bracket.

In all due honesty, we have only had the hose reel hose freeze once when I left it on the frozen ground for too long talking to my customer and the brass jets freeze once when I was also delayed another time.

As I was on my own that day, so I used the other hose reel. I was using hot that day, so the inner warmth of the hose on the coiled reel soon defrosted the ice which had accumulated at the end of the hose. If I wasn't on my own, then one of us would have to have used the backpack.

When the brass jets froze, I put that pole away and took another from the van. There are two of us, and we have 4 Gardiner poles of various lengths and can cobble together a 5th one using an old Unger Ali pole.

As @P4dstar says, you just need to keep the water flowing.

We also use van ports and had that freeze on us once. Time to go home.

First time ever water froze on windows had to stop work iced sils up lol and brush head froze even shook off excess water on it supposed to be artic colds on way and temps like this for next 2 weeks holy ?

It does mate happened to me today...
When I used cold had it freeze many times with flowing water it gradually Coates the inside of the hose with ice reducing the bore size and will freeze solid also had it freeze on the glass , never a problem now with hot but it then freezes on the ground not a problem if it’s a garden but block paving goes like a skating rink

It was bitterly cold this morning it was colder than forecast, I dropped my 1kw aquarium heater into my tank at about 5pm last night water was nice and warm this morning as was my van started on a commercial job just after 9am put salt down before I started and had no issues dia another commercial around the corner then houses all day trouble-free water and hose was still warm after 3pm

At 8am the water was freezing on the first job. Packed the pole away and went for a fry up.
Around 9.15 it wasn’t freezing, so will start a bit later tomorrow.
Only happened a handful of times this in many years of cleaning so can’t winge to much.
Had my water warm today which helped no end with management of the hoses ?

At 8am the water was freezing on the first job. Packed the pole away and went for a fry up.
Around 9.15 it wasn’t freezing, so will start a bit later tomorrow.
Only happened a handful of times this in many years of cleaning so can’t winge to much.
Had my water warm today which helped no end with management of the hoses ?
I am lucky if I manage to get to my first job much before 9am so perfect timing for me

What we have noticed is that homes aren't as warm as what they were. The water isn't drying on the glass like it used to.
Think this is also to do with the latest glass and coatings as it reflects the heat back into the house not out through the glass , it’s interesting to look at Windows using a thermal image camera I used the one from the fire station and in new glass the temperature it a lot lower than older ones .

Think this is also to do with the latest glass and coatings as it reflects the heat back into the house not out through the glass , it’s interesting to look at Windows using a thermal image camera I used the one from the fire station and in new glass the temperature it a lot lower than older ones .
This is where, I believe, thermal shock with hot water is going to become a bigger factor on really cold days

This is where, I believe, thermal shock with hot water is going to become a bigger factor on really cold days
Hummm will be interesting to see what happens last 2 days we started working in -2 and had a few pains of glass creaking when using a short length of hose around 25 meters didn’t check the water temperature but there was steam coming off the glass like a sauna ???? once we were using 125 meters of hose the temperature was greatly reduced but still had steam and no creaking . To be fair we dont generally get it to cold hear but in 2009-2010 winter it was really bad for several weeks -4-8 regularly we used hot all through that and didn’t break any glass , you can work easily with hot water but the problem is when it hits the ground leaving ice lakes behind so although you you could clean the glass ok I was more concerned about leaving ice behind and ones falling over and being held responsible, I tried to only do work ware it was not going to land on a surface that could cause problems and we did doors with a cloth and spray , if it gets that bad again will probably just take time off it’s not often that bad so can afford to not work on those days .

What we have noticed is that homes aren't as warm as what they were. The water isn't drying on the glass like it used to.
People are just not putting the heating on this year, or if they are they have turned down the thermostat, plus the majority of houses I look into have got multiple clothes maidens drying wet clothes creating a lot of condensation on the inside...

Latest Posts

Back