Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Poles freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hers another top of the range glove - Black Diamond Guide Gloves. Just google the gloves i mention and check out the reviews they get. These come in mittten and 5 finger. (Finger are suppose to warmer than mittens) Heat is retained more with the right five finger
gloves.

These are great, worth every penny -

Hestra have plenty of other options. Worlds best maker of gloves.
Wow they do look good, if they work then I'd definitely pay that for them. You say that to get the ultimate warmth you need three layers of material, what's the reason for the silk layer? Is it to control sweat?

Wow they do look good, if they work then I'd definitely pay that for them. You say that to get the ultimate warmth you need three layers of material, what's the reason for the silk layer? Is it to control sweat?
I think the silk layer is used because it thats thin so it allows you to cram in another layer, it also evaporates moisture quickly. If you go on the Hestra site have a look at the liner gloves you can
get further info from there.

I think the Black Diamond gloves above would be better. Fully goatskin, goretex & primaloft liner gloves.

I think the silk layer is used because it thats thin so it allows you to cram in another layer, it also evaporates moisture quickly. If you go on the Hestra site have a look at the liner gloves you can

I think the Black Diamond gloves above would be better. Fully goatskin, goretex & primaloft liner gloves.
They do look like they're amazing gloves. If those gloves don't keep my hands warm then I don't think it's possible other than having battery heated gloves. I'll have a good look at both them sites and read around the reviews.

Hi, the silk layer is for hygiene - easily washable/dryable. The guide glove is for high mountain use in the snow at below freezing temperatures so the only moisture will be your own sweat, there will be no water contact up there. Goretex is really the only way to go for a quality waterproof glove. Mitt or fingers is up to you - I used mitts in the cold, wet and snowy mountains and never regretted it.

Yeah I might need to invest in some better gloves. Been able to carry on with a cold water system starting at 9am, but hands are a little cold. I only bought these Sealskinz gloves a month ago on a recommendation and they have holes in outer layer already, not good.

Yeah I might need to invest in some better gloves. Been able to carry on with a cold water system starting at 9am, but hands are a little cold. I only bought these Sealskinz gloves a month ago on a recommendation and they have holes in outer layer already, not good.
I bought these Skytec Argon gloves from Amazon at less than £10 and while they don't last forever they are fairly warm. They will wear through around the base of your thumb and you have to grab the fingers when removing your hand to keep the liner in place. For the money I think they are great.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought these Skytec Argon gloves from Amazon at less than £10 and while they don't last forever they are fairly warm. They will wear through around the base of your thumb and you have to grab the fingers when removing your hand to keep the liner in place. For the money I think they are great.
The Xtra ones are far better I've got pairs that are 2-3 years old

So you're telling us it's fine to jump into a barrel of freezing water and destroy your gentlemans bits but you have to wear some gloves to keep your pinkies warm ? ?
Of course, it is, my hands were warm today though no gloves on as it was 1c lovely and warm

For the money they are a great glove and I'm sure your average person will find them perfectly warm. For me they're ok until the temp drops below about 5c. They are definitely worth a try for the money though. Probably the best pair of gloves you can get below £10. I've found they're not good if it's cold and wet though. They're only good if it's cold. For cold and wet the Showa's are the better option.

Don't know about poles freezing but my outside condy (condensation) pipe froze and the boiler flu water dripped outside the bottom of my boiler. Had to use a long drill bit to drill through the ice to get the water flowing again. Lucky my boiler kept working.

In 17 years windows that's the worst day I have known trying to work in cold, started at 9ish after having heater in van, pole jets froze up so drove about got fuel then tried again same thing so go home for early lunch back put at 11.30 finally get going, then catching up get to 4pm & jets start going again... I think because it was minus 5 even at 9 makes air so cold. Would having hot water stop jets freezing?

When its really cold I don't think fan jets at all, the mist of them turns into ice
.... I wish I had kept hold of some of the old brass 2mm pencil jets..

I think where I went with Showa was not wearing a lining glove then you dont need to wash them and knacker up the inside of the gloves.
Yeah I always wear nitriles underneath all my gloves, they never smell, don't think I've ever washed them and must have used them for 2 winters so far.

Was checking out this site before, few options there by the looks of it for anyone looking for cheap cold weather gloves

In 17 years windows that's the worst day I have known trying to work in cold, started at 9ish after having heater in van, pole jets froze up so drove about got fuel then tried again same thing so go home for early lunch back put at 11.30 finally get going, then catching up get to 4pm & jets start going again... I think because it was minus 5 even at 9 makes air so cold. Would having hot water stop jets freezing?
Yes....but I left all 100m of my hose out on frosty ground and some of the hose froze up even with a hot water system today!-9 outside at the time which is just too cold really so I nipped home for early lunch,put an oil filled radiator in the back to defrost the hose for 30 or so mins then finished my work in the afternoon(it was -3 by then).no issues whatsoever....

Better taking a few days off. The problem is when one has a big run then its near impossible to catch up. That's the reason I like 2 weeks in the month to do my round and 2 weeks for add-ons. I have 3 gutters to clear but no point till Temp is up.

Back