Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on starting out

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The reason I'm buying from Jetmac is because he's a 10 minute drive from me.  A few have recommended Rutland pumps and speak highly of their customer service but they'd be a logistical nightmare for me if something was to go wrong.

Speaking to Terry at Jetmac yesterday he seemed a nice fella. Showed me a thing or two and took his time to explain a few things. 

Just thoroughly prewet surrounding grass plants etc and you wont get issues with hypo, rinse at end again.

Fliers look good, there is also a psychology to advertising so have a look up on colours that attract trust etc

List looks good, get a quick release coupling so that you can go from turbo to rinsing down walls at tap pressure  with one quick removal of the turbo from lance. 

Most people expect to pay cash for add ons but get a card reader like the sum up incase they want to pay that way-i sure wouldnt do any big job residential wise and not expect to get paid on the day though. Too risky. 
Whats the money like with pressure washing? I am considering it but not 100% sure, if I can make similar or better money than window cleaning I may go ahead.

Whats the money like with pressure washing? I am considering it but not 100% sure, if I can make similar or better money than window cleaning I may go ahead.

£2 a sq metre but I charge £3 if they want me to sand it afterwards. Good money once you are up and running but the first year its all spend spend spend on new equipment. I must have spent £10k by now and probably got the same back in earnings from it. I would stick to window cleaning if I had enough customers and give PW leads to someone who does it all the time.

The moneys very good if you price it right and better than a days window cleaning. Law of averages apply though so whereas its easier to get higher window cleaning prices, it isn't easy to always convert high pressure washing prices to sales. This all depends on how you set up and if you have a constant drip of enquiries from a good website then it wont matter so much. It's a numbers game and bear in mind youll not be the only one they ask for a quote mostly.

No one needs to spend big cash to set up on pressure washing. Under 2k for all the top end kit you'll need, and you'll be able to make profit after that initial few jobs. I actually bought a cheap washer and it cost 400 quid, still was good for a year and took me longer to wash with yes but allowed me to save up cash

The moneys very good if you price it right and better than a days window cleaning. Law of averages apply though so whereas its easier to get higher window cleaning prices, it isn't easy to always convert high pressure washing prices to sales. This all depends on how you set up and if you have a constant drip of enquiries from a good website then it wont matter so much. It's a numbers game and bear in mind youll not be the only one they ask for a quote mostly.

No one needs to spend big cash to set up on pressure washing. Under 2k for all the top end kit you'll need, and you'll be able to make profit after that initial few jobs. I actually bought a cheap washer and it cost 400 quid, still was good for a year and took me longer to wash with yes but allowed me to save up cash
I would prefer the start cheap and build up option, I think I have seen these Honda jet washers people talk for around £400 on eBay?? Could be wrong.

I have enough work for me (too much) but would like to do something a little different on Saturdays. I would just ask my current customer base and cherry pick easy looking work, I know someone I can hand the trickier stuff and try to go with him to see how its done.

If I like it and see a good profit I would invest more and build up, if not I'll just keep the washer and use it to wash my car, van and garden etc. Cant lose like that really.

I would prefer the start cheap and build up option, I think I have seen these Honda jet washers people talk for around £400 on eBay?? Could be wrong.

I have enough work for me (too much) but would like to do something a little different on Saturdays. I would just ask my current customer base and cherry pick easy looking work, I know someone I can hand the trickier stuff and try to go with him to see how its done.

If I like it and see a good profit I would invest more and build up, if not I'll just keep the washer and use it to wash my car, van and garden etc. Cant lose like that really.
I started with a £400 1/l/m Loncin, it does the job but it takes a long time, all you need is a job with poor drainage and the time taken to do the job with a less powerful machine and get rid of all the dirt and water could be a deal breaker.  I have a Honda IGX 390 now with 21l/m and the difference is amazing.
I wouldn’t do a pressure washing job on a Saturday, even my loncin is far too noisy and anti social to use when everyone is at home.

Drainage issues can be quickly sorted by either a gutter vac or a mud sucker (attaches to lance, speak to Ben Mariot Rutland Pumps) not very expensive. 

Personally I prefer the gutter vac with a 50 meter hose attached and crevice tool. Very effective at clearing large volumes of water from between the blocks, speeds up drying out for sanding.

I work Sat and Sunday if needed but start at 9am. Pre warn neighbours your coming so they can put away garden furniture or washing/car ect. 

Look for a secondhand Honda GX390 they will soon be for sale ideally you want a machine under warranty because people buy them in March and they take a hammering all summer long and if the pumps have not been looked after they are not cheap to replace, but if there is warranty you should be covered.

[SIZE=10pt]It is an excellent machine for flat surfaces and I just have one GX390... I got a job in one company and a lot of my friends are advised to use only them. Always admired how it works! [/SIZE]

Back