Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

All Weathers, Solar Panels And Velux Windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi Mart.

'How do you know this ?' From research mate. Pure water was used in ops, not as a cleaning agent for tools as someone else said.

When you talk about dirt being attracted to wet windows, the hour (or 15 mins in this weather) drying time is nothing when comparable to the weeks and months that pass between solar panels being cleaned. The amount of dirt absorbed in that drying time is absolutely minimal. However, if a sticky film is left on windows, which detergents are proved to do, the accumulation of dirt is greatly increased. The dirtier a surface is, the quicker it accumulates further dirt too. Carbon accumulation studies have proved this. Google them and you can read all about it.

So with electricity generation from solar panels, it is imperative to keep the panels as clean as you can for as long as possible. Pure water is the best tried and tested method, not detergents.

I have read and re-read your post mate and you use the following expressions:

"I still see it that..."

"I will argue all day long..."

"My theory is..."

"I can't think of anything..."

"I don't know much..."

"Surgically clean to me..."

"I doubt they..."

"I still believe..."

"I somehow think that..."

All of the above expressions are based upon your own thoughts and conjecture. I too had pre-conceived ideas about window cleaning with pure water and also about solar panel cleaning. However, the more I researched the science, the facts and research about these things from other countries who are far ahead of us on the pure water cleaning journey, i.e. the U.S. the more I realised that my opinions counted for very little. I had to accept what the scientists, researchers and those with more experience said and had to bow to their superior knowledge.

There are people who's whole profession is to research such things for years and then publish their findings. One carbon accumulation study I read was ongoing for 12 years before it was published. These are painstakingly detailed works and I am in no way capable of arguing with their findings. All I can do is tap into their knowledge and make it work for me. That's exactly what I've done with spc and is why my company has some of the largest spc contracts available in the UK. These do not come about by chance, but because over the last 5 years, I have accumulated data, studied it, practiced it and learned how to present it to large companies.

This is not an indictment upon any individual or company, but I know SOME companies are adding spc to their range of services when in reality, they know very little about it. They are guessing their way through it. The large contractors who have spc available spot it immediately.

A famous American once wrote: "The difference between being good and being great, is attention to detail."

I dont want to start a row Mart.

But I thought the same as you! Did you know (I think) gg4 sell a product for window cleaning brings water temp down cleans better then fairy(apparently) can also be used to clean solor panels so when I saw this thought same as you!

I started to use wfp and when you start using it you understand how it cleans better then soap.

In medical use not sure they use it to clean tools they use what looks like a microwave but could be gamma waves? Anyway I think steve means pure water to clean wounds? To wash dirt out where alcohol is used to kill germs.

For you and others(as am new to wfp) am gonna do a test.

As I live at parents n they already have a window cleaner(not me lol) wait till window cleaner been and on then conservstory onr window clean by trad and window cleaned by wfp see which stays cleaner for longer.
You will have to go over the windows with wfp about 3 times for the test to ensure that all of the detergent has been thoroughly washed away.

Most if not all sp's have self cleaning glass but they still get dirty. Go figure

Steve why are there numerous soap based products for cleaning solar panel glass if it was that bad to use on them do you think?

There are even some that claim to increase output by the coating it leaves behind after cleaning

Karcher have even developed Karcher i-solar a so say professional solar panel washing system too using refined karcher soap, di water, hot pressure washer, telescopic poles with 2 spinning brush heads. :Image16:

Hi Smurf.
The self-cleaning thing is again scientific. Hydrophilic coatings that are put on solar panels have very specific environmental factors that need to be in place for the coating to 'self-clean'. The angle of the panels is one of them. Put simply, 99.9% of solar panels are not mounted at the correct angle for the chemical 'self-cleaning' reaction to occur. Solar panels which do have the hydrophilic coating are self-cleaning. But the angle they are mounted at on a roof means they do not self-clean.

It's a very clever selling point from the solar panel manufacturers. It was also used by installers as a selling point but time has proven it to be flawed, hence the explosion in solar cleaning products.

Regarding solar cleaning products, in my experience, they do work. However, the volume needed and added time it takes to apply them does not make them a feasible option for us to use.

I like the Karcher idea, but like other automated solar machines I have considered purchasing, including importing an £80,000 robot, use WAY too much water to make it practical. Look at the flow rate of that Karcher compared to a WFP. Where are you going to get that amount of water when doing this: http://www.solar-panel-cleaners.com/british-gas-use-clean-solar-solutions-ltd-for-solar-panel-cleaning-at-toyota-derby

Due to its location, there was no water source. The Karcher is impossible to use on a site like this and for it still to be profitable. You are right, it will clean a solar panel, but use 3 litres of water in the process! :Image4:

Yep Steve but with that karcher i-solar setup would deep clean large commercial spa's much quicker than messing about with wfp surely?

HOW - from a ladder and trad pole or by going on the roof by hand?

Wow, this thread has gone off on one. Been asked to clean 9 panels. I'll do it trad as I have no other way at present.

Ta

Yep Steve but with that karcher i-solar setup would deep clean large commercial spa's much quicker than messing about with wfp surely?
Yep, could be a winner. There are definitely applications for it. :Image12:

Back