Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am i a gypo?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hypo leaves a very stubborn deposit on glass if you let it dry,.. rinse the glass straight after spraying & the WFP it all as soon as you're finished & you wont have any issues though.

I used an x-jet chemical injector on my pressure washer to spray hypo - this method is quick (I could empty an 25 litre drum in 2 minutes flat!) which is great for big areas, but there is a lot of overspray which you need to keep an eye on. I'm told sureflo pumps are supposed to be fine with it,... personally i never risked trying it after I wrecked a couple of backpack pumps trying to use them to spray hypo! Hypo also rots the seals on hand pump backpack sprayers - I got less than 30 minutes use out of mine before the seals went, so defo not a good idea!

Spraying it on walls will remove algae almost immediately at 1:1 dilution - if you have red algae you may need to use it neat & sometimes re-treat a week later, the red stuff is much harder to shift.

I went to get a refill for my gas water heater at the local supplier and asked do you also sell Sodium Hypochlorite 14/15% (hypo) being they where a swimming pool chem supplier. I told him what I wanted it for and the young chap said "yes and is £23 per 20 ltr and all the gypo's buy it here now once they found out we sell it to use it to clean paving"
I must be a gypo then? /emoticons/biggrin.png
so funny!!! we actually sell hydrochloric acid at £25.00 per 25litre barrel. ours is actually 28% an guess who buys it lol

I've avoided using hypo upto now but thought I would get some just so to have a play.
you can use acid put you need to neutralise it after, and watch out for cats etc. we have had certain communities putting it on sand stone which has a high calcium make up, what I would always say is do a discrete spot first.

It's seems a rubbery type of render that they use on park homes so don't think hydrochloric acid would be very good idea. I've been told by the site manager a bleach wash is ok apparently to use.:rolleyes:

you can use acid put you need to neutralise it after, and watch out for cats etc. we have had certain communities putting it on sand stone which has a high calcium make up, what I would always say is do a discrete spot first.

It's seems a rubbery type of render that they use on park homes so don't think hydrochloric acid would be very good idea. I've been told by the site manager a bleach wash is ok apparently to use.:rolleyes:
by saying bleach you mean Hydrogen Peroxide lol cant get more nasty or explosive if you know what your doing lol

Cheers Nat :thumbsup:

The yanks tend to like to use delavan diaphragm pumps going by what I have read.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGu3Lyr6B_c[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCYHwFccEDE[/media]

Myself I'm looking for something simular but instead of a wand to deliver the chem onto walls maybe try a pole instead so to help reduce the overspray.

Hypo leaves a very stubborn deposit on glass if you let it dry,.. rinse the glass straight after spraying & the WFP it all as soon as you're finished & you wont have any issues though.
I used an x-jet chemical injector on my pressure washer to spray hypo - this method is quick (I could empty an 25 litre drum in 2 minutes flat!) which is great for big areas, but there is a lot of overspray which you need to keep an eye on. I'm told sureflo pumps are supposed to be fine with it,... personally i never risked trying it after I wrecked a couple of backpack pumps trying to use them to spray hypo! Hypo also rots the seals on hand pump backpack sprayers - I got less than 30 minutes use out of mine before the seals went, so defo not a good idea!

Spraying it on walls will remove algae almost immediately at 1:1 dilution - if you have red algae you may need to use it neat & sometimes re-treat a week later, the red stuff is much harder to shift.

I've heard of the devlan pumps, but never tried one myself. Using a pole would be a much better way of applying the chem - but you'd need a decent size pump, 12 - 15 litres per minute or more otherwise large areas would take forever!

The spec of a devlan fatboy is 60psi max flow of 7gpm =26 ltr so is quite impressive for a 12 volt diaphram pump.

I've also checked surflow out as you mentioned you kackered your wfp pump and 2 backpacks etc. A standard surflow 8000-946-138 used for wfp that most suppliers sell or not chemical resistant pumps but surflow do make a range that are fitted with Viton valves & Satoprene diaphrams as like the fatboy. http://www.hypro-eu.com/fileattachments/Hypro-eu/en-gb/Shurflo_pumps_catalogue_pages.pdf Still they are a much low flow but just might be easier to get hold of here in the UK for doing small jobs.

I've heard of the devlan pumps, but never tried one myself. Using a pole would be a much better way of applying the chem - but you'd need a decent size pump, 12 - 15 litres per minute or more otherwise large areas would take forever!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back