Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone Got a Dash Cam?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah, certainly I find it frustrating that instead of just needing to read the road for other road users and positioning etc, we now have to also give an awful lot of attention to reading the road surface for potholes and uneven manhole covers etc and for ourselves and other road users trying to avoid them. I almost know each pothole round here by name they've been here that long. ?
I came to the conclusion long ago that most drivers particularly car drivers shouldn't be on the roads I really don't know what they are been taught on driving lessons these days as most are either plain simple or couldn't give a flying flamingo about other road users the number of near misses and potential accidents I have seen are that they just aren't processing what is going on around them or even the position of their own car and what actions they take and the effect it has on cars around them. 

More electric cars means less road tax which means less money for road maintenance. I would tax all road users and use the money to resurface the roads. Then I would set up an emission tax but to put the two together is ludicrous. Free for cyclists and mobility scooters. 40 million vehicles in the UK at a charge of £250 a year means £10 Billion a year. Invest that on resurfacing the roads and they would be back to normal in 5yrs creating thousands of jobs. Its really simple arithmetic.
A very good post @scottish cleaning service, apart from one part that I whole heartedly disagree with.

Why should cyclists use the roads for free?

If something is being used it should be paid for collectively.

I will admit I have a gripe against the more millatant type cyclists, especially the tos*ers who have what looks like the tip of a rocket ship on their heads and ride side by side talking ??

A very good post @scottish cleaning service, apart from one part that I whole heartedly disagree with.

Why should cyclists use the roads for free?

If something is being used it should be paid for collectively.

I will admit I have a gripe against the more millatant type cyclists, especially the tos*ers who have what looks like the tip of a rocket ship on their heads and ride side by side talking ??

The crazy thing is the highway code allows cyclists to ride side by side. I was on my bike and nearly got hit by a car and police got involved. We all studied the highway code and found out the car has no chance. It says the cyclist should drive out from the kerb to avoid potholes and when a vehicle overtakes it should give the cyclist about 6 feet. You will find it interesting reading all the facts. Cyclists should be made to take out insurance I believe.

New laws were announced last December -

" The Highway Code's insistence cars should leave a decent distance between them an cyclists when passing (1.5m) is now being strengthened by fines.

Following law changes in March, motorists could be fined for not leaving enough space between a vehicle and a bike. Failure to do so could land you with a £100 fine and three points on your licence.

Police forces across the country are being encouraged to penalise those who drive dangerously close to cyclists."

1.5  meters space on most roads with oncoming traffic means you can't safely overtake them...

Cyclists should be fined for not using cycle lanes.

" The Highway Code's insistence cars should leave a decent distance between them an cyclists when passing (1.5m) is now being strengthened by fines.

Following law changes in March, motorists could be fined for not leaving enough space between a vehicle and a bike. Failure to do so could land you with a £100 fine and three points on your licence.

Police forces across the country are being encouraged to penalise those who drive dangerously close to cyclists."

1.5  meters space on most roads with oncoming traffic means you can't safely overtake them...

They should come down harder on big lorries tailgating. Those monstrous great things are the major cause of road damage. And they know damn well they cant stop very quick yet a lot of them (not all) insist on driving as close to your bumper as they can. Ive spoke to a few, and they come out with this tosh that they cant get the speed up so have to drive right behind you. Tough, get back, far back you idiot. Also a large percentage of the motorway deaths are involving them. Ban them from trying to overtake too, take 10 minutes to pass eachother.  There, sorry truckers, but thats my half pennorth til later, ta ta.

I have no issue with cyclists......  as long as they stay off the road.  

They (the majority) have zero insurances yet some of those bikes cost more than your vans. 

Cyclists, like motor cyclists seem to think that helmet cams now not only make them invincible but also make them right all the time. 

This is proven by the plethora of videos on Youtube of bikers doing wrong and yet blaming the motorist when it nearly goes Pete Tong on them.  

I learnt as probably did @Part Timer and one or two others to drive in a time called 'The Last Milleninum' in fact so far back in that time that dash cams did not exist, nor did digital cameras and a home 'camcorder' (as they were called) was the size of a modern European compact car. The roads were quieter, you were fortunate if your FAMILY owned a car, not one for dad, one for mum, one for each of the kids,  one for the whole family. 

You see the signs everywhere here (I live on the edge of the Peak District) THINK BIKE THINK BIKER aimed at motor cyclists but should also automatically encompass cyclists as well. 

In the end it does not matter who is right and who is wrong, my daily drive weighs 2.7 tonnes and is far from the smallest thing on the road. Now imagine that parked on top of a biker, sure if i'm found in the wrong I could be going to jail but wherever I am going it is without a scratch on me,  where will you be going if you end up under 2.7 tonne of car? 

Cyclists and Bikers honestly need to stop thinking about other road users and start thinking of themselves as chances are someone is expecting you home tonight and what kind of selfish t**t are you if you don't make it there?

I took the picture below in London 2 weeks ago. Thank god it was just the bike rack he took out but shows the damage that can be done to metal and bone is softer. 

20190219_093615.jpg

This next one is on the motorway (I was a passenger so could take the pic safely) 

No bikes or bikers involved but imagine if they do this to each other what if it was a biker? 

20190207_094716.jpg

Please show some considerations for your fellow man and cyclists should be forced to have compulsory insurance as drivers do.  That would halve the number of them overnight. 

I have no issue with cyclists......  as long as they stay off the road.  

They (the majority) have zero insurances yet some of those bikes cost more than your vans. 

Cyclists, like motor cyclists seem to think that helmet cams now not only make them invincible but also make them right all the time. 

This is proven by the plethora of videos on Youtube of bikers doing wrong and yet blaming the motorist when it nearly goes Pete Tong on them.  

I learnt as probably did @Part Timer and one or two others to drive in a time called 'The Last Milleninum' in fact so far back in that time that dash cams did not exist, nor did digital cameras and a home 'camcorder' (as they were called) was the size of a modern European compact car. The roads were quieter, you were fortunate if your FAMILY owned a car, not one for dad, one for mum, one for each of the kids,  one for the whole family. 

You see the signs everywhere here (I live on the edge of the Peak District) THINK BIKE THINK BIKER aimed at motor cyclists but should also automatically encompass cyclists as well. 

In the end it does not matter who is right and who is wrong, my daily drive weighs 2.7 tonnes and is far from the smallest thing on the road. Now imagine that parked on top of a biker, sure if i'm found in the wrong I could be going to jail but wherever I am going it is without a scratch on me,  where will you be going if you end up under 2.7 tonne of car? 

Cyclists and Bikers honestly need to stop thinking about other road users and start thinking of themselves as chances are someone is expecting you home tonight and what kind of selfish t**t are you if you don't make it there?

I took the picture below in London 2 weeks ago. Thank god it was just the bike rack he took out but shows the damage that can be done to metal and bone is softer. 

View attachment 15897

This next one is on the motorway (I was a passenger so could take the pic safely) 

No bikes or bikers involved but imagine if they do this to each other what if it was a biker? 

View attachment 15898

Please show some considerations for your fellow man and cyclists should be forced to have compulsory insurance as drivers do.  That would halve the number of them overnight. 
Agree, but it should be ‘cyclists should pay insurance AND road tax’ i.m.o 

Another pita of the road is the mobility scooter driver.

Nearly hit one the other day who had decided to drive down a 60mph country lane and had gone round a corner (blind spot). Luckily no on come traffic.

I'm thinking you might not have had power assisted steering either. My family had a retired ambulance as a hot dog van in the early 70s. Surrey Ambulance No 25, 1965 Karrier Dennis, four cylinder 2266 cc petrol engine, first and second were crash gears double de clutch, third and fourth, syncromesh. No power steering (wheel like a dustbin lid) 14 miles to a gallon (less than 50p from memory). Nought to 40 in about ten minutes with a following wind and a fall of ground. I loved it. Felt really proud driving that wee beast around London as an eighteen year old. ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
I learnt to drive that long ago when I sat my HGV test it was in a vehicle you had to double the clutch. Fairly certain @spruce knows how to do it but the majority on here wouldn't have a clue. Now @Den don't pretend you don't know  :1f61c:
And when you done your test, didn’t you have to use the winding handle to start the engine? ?

What about pavements? They all seem to use pavements up here, one even killed a pedestrian by knocking her down on the pavement.

I'm thinking you might not have had power assisted steering either. My family had a retired ambulance as a hot dog van in the early 70s. Surrey Ambulance No 25, 1965 Karrier Dennis, four cylinder 2266 cc petrol engine, first and second were crash gears double de clutch, third and fourth, syncromesh. No power steering (wheel like a dustbin lid) 14 miles to a gallon (less than 50p from memory). Nought to 40 in about ten minutes with a following wind and a fall of ground. I loved it. Felt really proud driving that wee beast around London as an eighteen year old. ☺️

The memories!

I'll leave this to you and @spruce, I'm 55 not 65 ?

9CB7458A-6316-4E20-939C-08C81756F648.png

On a lighter note than dead cyclists I managed to fix my dash cam. It was turning off randomly. I’ve always plugged it into the charging port on the mount but there is a second one on the dash cam itself. Just plugged it into that and it’s all working again. Also now nicely concealed and plugged into that 12V socket you mentioned @Tuffers, well done man!

View attachment 15900

On a lighter note than dead cyclists I managed to fix my dash cam. It was turning off randomly. I’ve always plugged it into the charging port on the mount but there is a second one on the dash cam itself. Just plugged it into that and it’s all working again. Also now nicely concealed and plugged into that 12V socket you mentioned @Tuffers, well done man!

This I think is going to be a necessary purchase at some time in the near future.

Back