Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

postage rip off

WCF

Help Support WCF:

F

firefly123

im sure these water fed pole suppliers are ripping us off for postage you buy any thing for any amount you still get stung for postage yet i can buy most other things of the net free postage i know if you have an order over a amount its free but / hmm

I don't think they are, because poles are long in length and therefore most couriers wont delivery them, I know TNT will but they charge extra. I sold a pole on ebay and the cheapest I could get postage + insurance was around £20-25.

And TNT was the only courier that would accept it because of the length.

im sure these water fed pole suppliers are ripping us off for postage you buy any thing for any amount you still get stung for postage yet i can buy most other things of the net free postage i know if you have an order over a amount its free but / hmm

There's nothing for free. Free postage is another gimmick to get someone to buy, but you are paying for postage in with the price.

An example is the LPG tankless water heaters. The same supplier will offer it cheaper but with postage and then will offer it postage free but at a higher price.

I complained about wfp suppliers ripping us off weeks ago and got slated for it, how can it be a fiver to deliver plastic fan jets?
That's a massive rip off! £5 to deliver a few grams?

Also ever wondered how much of a rip off poles are?

Simple tubes of carbon and some plastic clamps for 100's of pounds?

Massively over priced...

That's a massive rip off! £5 to deliver a few grams?
It's not for a few grams though is it, there is the envelope, the persons time to print off your address, the other persons time to take it to the post office, the other persons time to register the sale, print out an invoice, the post office charges on top of that so to be honest I think a £5 is pretty damn reasonable.

I bought 2 small bottles of Perroni and a bag of Salt & Vinegar crisps last night at the bar, £5.40

When it comes to a matter of a couple of little bits yes the supplier has to charge accordingly as it is really all those small items that cost the company the time and money, just looking a Gardiners site now, two brass pencil jets, £2.95

How can you expect to buy an item for £2.95 and get it delivered at no extra cost and for the supplier to remain in business?

You dont give away your window cleaning services so why should they give away their items.

I have plastic jets myself and to date have snapped them twice due to being too rough, so when I ordered I ordered 6, some extra push fit connectors, some extra split rings etc, whole bundle came to £25 delivered but I now have enough spares to keep me going in any situation and not in a position where £5 of postage is going to wind me up on a £3 item.

I haven't bought them green, I'm just agreeing with @Poles Apart

That is a huge postage cost for such a small item, I buy things all the time off eBay etc, and postage is usually 1-2 quid max for small light items like that,

It's just another way to make a bit more money, there is no way postage costs a fiver, there adding money on, that's just how it is, but still, it's not right...

i can buy resin off ebay no postage yet same firm on there webb page you have to pay for it and most wfp parts free p&p on ebay

Yeah it's just main company's making a few extra quid, they buy a massive bulk load of fan jets then sell them to us for a couple of quid, then they think 'let's make a bit more dough and charge a fiver for postage'

Don't know why green thinks that's a reasonable amount to pay, if you Sent them yourself at a post office it'd probably be about £1 if that, in a small envelope

Companies can get contracts and pay £10 for anything that fits on a pallet....they could last year anyway.

Small items should cost less than a few £. Its a rip off.

Just had a power reel delivered. He used post office. Just short of £40. WHAT. I am sure he could get it for much less

These companies who sell parts online have a courier account and they will arrive every afternoon to collect the big items for a good price per kilo due to shipping lots per day

The small items the postie will collect in the afternoons for a discounted price for commercial customers

Doesn't cost a lot to send out really

I have first hand experience of this through a tool distribution company i did some work for..fiver for some jets is about 4 quid more than it costs to send

These companies who sell parts online have a courier account and they will arrive every afternoon to collect the big items for a good price per kilo due to shipping lots per dayThe small items the postie will collect in the afternoons for a discounted price for commercial customers

Doesn't cost a lot to send out really

I have first hand experience of this through a tool distribution company i did some work for..fiver for some jets is about 4 quid more than it costs to send
That's should answer @Green

That's the point were making green, it's very overpriced, and just another way to make more money

No Jake it does not answer Green.

It is not just the cost they are charged by the courier, as I said there is all the staff time involved in processing your orders, packaging materials etc as well as the cost of a 'stamp' as it were.

You seem to think these places are run by fairies that give their time in exchange for nothing more than your gratitude.

I guess as we will not agree this topic it's simply best to say if you don't like the companies postage policy then don't use that company.

I see your point, but the postage charge is usually seperate to a employees wage, the wage comes out of the products sold, not the postage,

When I worked at a fuel card company we had a franking machine, we sent a lot of items per day, (100's) and the price we paid for sending items was to the exact amount, there were no add ons to help pay wages, that should not be the case,

Again, it's purely to make more money, I really don't think company's are thinking, 'oh let's add £2 on to pay Sarah's wages for picking up an envelope to send this item'

It's all about making a bit extra...

I will put my little oar in here and say that it is true what both are saying, it is a blatant rip off, but don't forget that not only what green is saying is true to an extent about the staff admin (although most companies would add that kind of cost to the price of their goods), if you order over a certain amount it is free, so really the £5 is actually paying for the bigger orders that don't get paid for, not fair? you wouldn't say that if you got a £10-20 postage charge on your £50-100 order!!

Agree hunty its used to supplement free delivery for those spending more. How is that fair? Its a total rip-off. Even as green said they need to pay for the admin costs, storage, envelopes and so on, but considering it would cost a pound ish for delivery and envelope, £4 for about 2 minutes work is a pretty good hourly rate! All the admins done online. Surely the profit is in the product else when you get free delivery they would make nothing ever except when jets are sold on their own lol. Like Jake said ebay manage it. Add £2-2.50 on by all means, but a fivers a bit excessive imo. And especially considering the jets will more than likely be used on brushes and other equipment bought from the same site so they have already made some profit from you

When you think the jets are probably delivered in boxes of 1000's for about £10, then even selling them for £2 there making huge profit, plus £5 for postage and your laughing your head off - literally.

Modern Window cleaning supplies have been hugley marked up in recent years, it's a good business to get into /emoticons/wink.png

Caron fibre poles selling for £500 plus, when actually they will be made for pittance, when you think how simple they are, some tubes, and some plastic clamps...

I'm into road cycling, and many of us cyclists can get a HM Carbon frame for £300, it's a lot more carbon, and a lot more engineering to create one, compared to a few tube lengths, yet we pay sometimes £1000 for 7 tubes! (40ft pole for example) not to mention the saftey and painted carbon that comes with a cycling frame...

I know there heavily marked up, I know the owner of polarbrite, his words are 'lets just say window cleaning supplies are... Well... A good earner! '

A few carbon tubes? Cheap as chips to make in China.. And we pay an absolute fortune! Lack of competition has always been the problem in window cleaning...

Still, I wouldn't be without my carbon poles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy, exact same poles, price and everything. Obviously they feel they can't get away with it or compete on ebay with postage. And that they make a profit without it. What a con. We should all boycott unfair delivery prices on windie stuff.

Back