Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery issue

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Little tip, the heavier the battery the better as lead is heavy and relatively expensive but thicker plates help batteries to last longer.
Mate I had no choice with my current Hella 80ah battery it was fitted by WCW when I purchased the system last July there is limited space where the battery goes but they could have gone bigger and better.

This morning I bought a Numax 95ah which is part starter part leisure battery it will just about fit behind the panel as it is 1.5cm to deep, I may have modify things a bit to prevent any water getting to the battery in the event of any spillage, but I know it will serve me better than my current battery.

Just out of curiosity, I have a Numax smart meter, once the light on it goes Green it’s fully charged.
This normally takes a couple of hours after a days work. I generally unplug it the evening before and I’m fine for the next day.
Would it be better for the battery (ie give it more ooomph) if I leave on charge all night on the Green Light (trickle charging) ?

Just out of curiosity, I have a Numax smart meter, once the light on it goes Green it’s fully charged.
This normally takes a couple of hours after a days work. I generally unplug it the evening before and I’m fine for the next day.
Would it be better for the battery (ie give it more ooomph) if I leave on charge all night on the Green Light (trickle charging) ?
As far as I am aware the spec sheets of the Numax chargers is that when it goes into float charge it goes green so you can then disconnect if you want a it won't be doing anything really. That is as long as the battery isn't powering anything - even in standby stuff pulls current - i.e. V16 controller will pull a very very small current waiting for the on button to be pressed but it is very small. If it's been working for you and your battery is lasting a few years then I would say carry on a you are.

Current battery 8 months and it's been flashing bat at the end of every work day for a while on Monday it was flashing stp on the controller I'll be ordering another one this week but going for a more expensive AGM battery if it will fit where I need it to.
Always iffy to buy these online so try halfords. I use a 110 amp Leasure battery and they last 3 to 4 years . charged once a week and have 2 one for each pump.

We carry our own warranty on new batteries as window cleaners. I don't think Halfords will accept a warranty claim on a battery used for window cleaning these days. Our industry is classed as an industry that are battery abusers.
So we might add well but the best.

Regarding lead acid, we have had excellent service from Numax.

Anyone use one of these , if so are they any good.

Anyone use one of these , if so are they any good.
Pallet delivery makes it rather expensive.

One reviewer reported:

Delivery did not say that the battery came on a pallet (now it does), and the driver is not allowed to carry it to my door! I was lucky to have help as I couldn’t lift it.
I also notice that Tanya have changed their terms of warranty. We are now given 6 months warranty as window cleaners.

Nice to see we aren't the only industry singled out with warranty reductions. They have even included everyone who may use their battery more than 'normal.'

Hi Guys

Stupidly during the spell of frosts we had I forgot to charge the my Tanya 110 ah battery, and something was left on in the van. When I can to charge it my 4ah charger was showing it a 9v !. The charger wouldn't kick in, presumably it was too low. I've managed to borrow a leisure battery , and left my battery on a trickle charge which eventually got ot to 11v. If I put it back on my charger its starts charging and the voltage goes up quickly eventually stopping around 13/14 volts. If I come back later, the charger isn't charging showing no battery connected symbol, and the battery is back to 11volts.
I know I've knackered the battery with permanent damage, but was hoping it would still work, bit would just hold a little less charge, and require charging more frequently.

Does it sound like it's for the bin, or any ideas on resurrection

Thanks
Sorry for being late to the party.
You'll need a minimum of a 10 or 15 amp charger

4 Amps will achieve nothing especially in cold weather when the battery depletes.

Personally I wouldn't use a smart charger on a vehicle because most times they don't work due to their sense circuits detecting a lower threshold voltage or standing current.

I'd recommend a decent quality Sealey, draper or maypole traditional charger in a steel box with simple functions
You can also get variants with jump start

The newer Noco style chargers are okay to charge a trolley or leisure battery as a maintenance charger but they die pretty quickly due to the enclosure size and heat build up

Why would you do that as still under warrany for 2 to 5 years. You are buying leasure battaries I presume ??
You need to read my posting on this thread regarding battery warranties and window cleaners. Before you buy a battery from anywhere and any make, you need to read the conditions of warranty. Most refuse warranty point-blank as we are classed as battery abusers.

I'm not sure, but Tanya's warranty is that you pay for the carriage back to the manufacturer, and they will test the battery at their leisure. You could be without a battery for a week, and there is no guarantee they will honour the warranty.

So as far as we are concerned, we have to take the risk of any battery failure within the warranty period. If our battery packs up, just order a new one next day delivery.
We have always recommended Numax as they haven't let us down yet. The last battery I purchased 4 months ago was a Lithium life 04. I'll see how that goes.

You need to read my posting on this thread regarding battery warranties and window cleaners. Before you buy a battery from anywhere and any make, you need to read the conditions of warranty. Most refuse warranty point-blank as we are classed as battery abusers.

I'm not sure, but Tanya's warranty is that you pay for the carriage back to the manufacturer, and they will test the battery at their leisure. You could be without a battery for a week, and there is no guarantee they will honour the warranty.

So as far as we are concerned, we have to take the risk of any battery failure within the warranty period. If our battery packs up, just order a new one next day delivery.
We have always recommended Numax as they haven't let us down yet. The last battery I purchased 4 months ago was a Lithium life 04. I'll see how that goes.
I've had great results with Lion leisure batteries from Euro car parts. I questioned them in depth on the warranty and they said "if your battery dies when under warranty we'll replace it" not had a single issue with the 2 I have and they are now 3 years old.
I'm unsure on Halfords but Euro car parts have a great stock refresh from the manufacturers and getting closer dated batteries is common. Unlike some of the dust ornaments halfords has.

I wouldn't dream of buying a battery online though

Last edited:
I've had great results with Lion leisure batteries from Euro car parts. I questioned them in depth on the warranty and they said "if your battery dies when under warranty we'll replace it" not had a single issue with the 2 I have and they are now 3 years old.
I'm unsure on Halfords but Euro car parts have a great stock refresh from the manufacturers and getting closer dated batteries is common. Unlike some of the dust ornaments halfords has.

I wouldn't dream of buying a battery online though
I had a lion starter battery in my previous van. It failed after 18 months. It had a 2 year warranty. The motor factors I bought it from stopped selling lion as they rejected all warranty claims.

Another motor factors I now deal with wont stock them either.
They also won't stock banner batteries either.

(The previous guy sold up and retired btw.)

Why would you do that as still under warrany for 2 to 5 years. You are buying leasure battaries I presume ??
Yes I am buying a leisure battery!!, I didn't want them to replace the battery with same crappy battery to be swapping them out every 6-7 months, yes I could have saved myself some money but I can't be doing with WCW's mediocre customer service,

When the controller stopped working within the first month it took them 5 days to sort out a new one, luckily I had a spare

Latest Posts

Back