Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best hi mod pole options?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Hello all,

I know that the Gardiner Extreme is very popular here but I'm interested to know if anyone has tried any other poles? I currently have my eyes on the nano pole which I've heard great things about and it's supposedly the lightest pole around, there's also someone on Facebook with cheaper, Chinese hi mod poles weighing 980g for a 22 foot which is quite light.

What's everyone here using?

How much cheaper are the chineese poles ?. If its a massive difference I'd maybe be tempted to try it when looking for a new pole. If it's only £100 cheaper I'd just pay it as atleast you know what your getting.

How much cheaper are the chineese poles ?. If its a massive difference I'd maybe be tempted to try it when looking for a new pole. If it's only £100 cheaper I'd just pay it as atleast you know what your getting.
The bloke on Facebook is selling a hi mod strong for £350 and the hi mod light (which weighs 980g) for 550, so not much cheaper than competitors in all fairness

Gardiner Xtreme 22 is 980gms, get the Xtreme sill brush and you could probably get an SLX. Everyone seems to go on about pole weight and stiffness then they but a heavy brush on the end which totally negates the benefits of a light stiff pole.
I've heard that the Xtreme brushes aren't the best, especially for first cleans etc, is that right?

The only thing that puts me off the Xtreme pole is how delicate I've heard they are, their maintenance schedule also puts me off personally as it feels like Gardiner are covering their own backs for their poles not being the strongest but I could be completely wrong

The bloke on Facebook is selling a hi mod strong for £350 and the hi mod light (which weighs 980g) for 550, so not much cheaper than competitors in all fairness
So less then £100 cheaper, and how good is the warranty.
We use Xtremes and get 2 years out of the top section, as long as we don't try and shut stiff windows. We never strip them down to clean and wipe down / rinse, maybe 2 or 3 times a year
How many 1st cleans do you do? When you do it will take 2 minutes to put a different brush on

Last edited:
So less then £100 cheaper, and how good is the warranty.
We use Xtremes and get 2 years out of the top section, as long as we don't try and **** stiff windows. We never strip them down to clean and wipe down / rinse, maybe 2 or 3 times a year
How many 1st cleans do you do? When you do it will take 2 minutes to put a different brush on
I personally wouldn't go for the Chinese option, he claims to offer a 12 month warranty but there's nothing to ensure he will honour it. I do have my eyes on the Nano pole from xline, probably worth noting the prices I've quoted are also inclusive of VAT - the 25ft nano pole including a brush of my choosing comes in at £606 ish including vat. I believe the 22ft Xtreme is £535 plus vat, so slightly more expensive although there's not much in it.

Good to know that you don't have to follow the maintenance schedule to the letter though, I may have a closer look at the Xtreme - I also don't do many first cleans anymore, although a large portion of my round is in Immingham right by the oil refinerys so some jobs can be like doing a first clean every time!

Re the nano pole. I believe someone maybe @dazmond bought a nano pole and was singing it's praises when it arrived but after 6 months, I think, he changed his mind! OK so that's only 1 persons opinion but might be worth searching for his posts to see why he didn't like it in the end - clamps I think.

I’ve had extremes fantastic poles bit fragile but very nice got xline nano wouldn’t get another it’s heavy compared to the extremes and clamps are poor

Now picked up new tank from Bladeright cleaning supplies summer set got chance to have a look at the boss himod pole and when my xline goes it will be replaced with the boss himod not shore on longevity but Lee assured me his carbon boss is still going strong after many years!

Another pole to consider is the phantom himod never tried one but I have the carbon 18 and I can’t kill it ? only thing I don’t like is the inserts in each section pain getting pole hose out

Hello all,

I know that the Gardiner Extreme is very popular here but I'm interested to know if anyone has tried any other poles? I currently have my eyes on the nano pole which I've heard great things about and it's supposedly the lightest pole around, there's also someone on Facebook with cheaper, Chinese hi mod poles weighing 980g for a 22 foot which is quite light.

What's everyone here using?
You can't have it both ways....if you want a hi mod pole for ease of use then the xtreme is the lightest around but be prepared to buy the odd section or complete new pole within 18 months if it's your every day pole...the nano is stronger and more rigid but heavier with fairly **** clamps,rubbish end cap and it doesn't slide as easily as an xtreme.it might last marginally longer but the extra weight negates it for me...

I tweaked my back the other day,luckily I can still work with my xtreme as its light as a feather

Re the nano pole. I believe someone maybe @dazmond bought a nano pole and was singing it's praises when it arrived but after 6 months, I think, he changed his mind! OK so that's only 1 persons opinion but might be worth searching for his posts to see why he didn't like it in the end - clamps I think.
Snapped 2 sections after 14 months and just binned it....?

I use an Xtreme 25 with an Xtreme brush for everything including first cleans. If I need a bit of extra power on first cleans I switch to the Gardiner Water Through Pad for the first go over then switch back to the brush for the final brush and rinse. The pad works brilliantly on black mold and extra grimy windows and frames. The Pad also works well on facia boards when required.
The top two sections on my 25 footer get the most wear so tend to replace the top section (#1) once every two years and #2 section every three years. I have never needed to replace the other sections.

I use an Xtreme 25 with an Xtreme brush for everything including first cleans. If I need a bit of extra power on first cleans I switch to the Gardiner Water Through Pad for the first go over then switch back to the brush for the final brush and rinse. The pad works brilliantly on black mold and extra grimy windows and frames. The Pad also works well on facia boards when required.
The top two sections on my 25 footer get the most wear so tend to replace the top section (#1) once every two years and #2 section every three years. I have never needed to replace the other sections.
So how old is your xtreme pole?5 years old with 2 replaced sections?that's good going if so!I tend to buy a new xtreme 25 every 18 months as its usually knackered by then

Just re-read my own post and recon I must have only been half awake when I wrote it. My estimation is based on my use of two Xtreme poles over seven years. Lets try again.

I used a 22" for four years, and during that time replaced section 3, and shortly after, section 2 at about the two year mark. At the four year mark I replaced section 2 and 1 just before my daughter started using it. As she only works with me one day a week we have not needed to replace any further parts in the last three years.

I then switched to a 25" Xtreme which I have now used for the last three years and have only just replaced section 2. I recon this is because each section is longer than the equivalent section on the 22 and therefore I don't use section 3 anywhere near as much with the 25.

For reference mine is used 3-5 days a week and is being used solidly for a good 7 hours a day as I have a very compact round. I do keep on top of maintenance though. In summer I hardly have to do any but in winter I will do it daily if needed.

I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. It is quite strange how people have such different experiences with the Xtreme pole, some do regular maintenance and still snap sections regularly, others do none and their poles last years- makes you wonder if you can get lucky with the pole you receive.

The Xtreme sounds like a great pole, I'm just a bit concerned as I currently (shamefully) never maintain my ova8 carbon poles and I think I'd see it as a major chore having to do so with the Xtreme, so the Nano feels like a safer option in that regard.

Anyone tried the ova8, Phantom or boss hi mod poles?

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. It is quite strange how people have such different experiences with the Xtreme pole, some do regular maintenance and still snap sections regularly, others do none and their poles last years- makes you wonder if you can get lucky with the pole you receive.

The Xtreme sounds like a great pole, I'm just a bit concerned as I currently (shamefully) never maintain my ova8 carbon poles and I think I'd see it as a major chore having to do so with the Xtreme, so the Nano feels like a safer option in that regard.

That's probably why my xtremes don't last as long....apart from wiping the pole hose and the odd flush out with water I don't take them apart..personally I can't be bothered.i will spray them with dry PTFE spray occasionally though ?

That's probably why my xtremes don't last as long....apart from wiping the pole hose and the odd flush out with water I don't take them apart..personally I can't be bothered.i will spray them with dry PTFE spray occasionally though o

That's probably why my xtremes don't last as long....apart from wiping the pole hose and the odd flush out with water I don't take them apart..personally I can't be bothered.i will spray them with dry PTFE spray occasionally though ?
Do you find yourself replacing sections much? I know you said the pole lasts you 18 months which id be fine with but not if I also had to replace sections every couple of months too

Do you find yourself replacing sections much? I know you said the pole lasts you 18 months which id be fine with but not if I also had to replace sections every couple of months too
We find they last quite well generally don replace any sections for 2 years at least and we don't service poles either and they are used 8 hours a day 5 days a week , I think dazmond is a bit heavy handed ????

Back