Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best soap and water mix? Im intrigued.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I never have a problem with cheap or premium washing up liquid. Due to the larger surface area of a big shop front window the dwell time has to be shorter as the water soap solution dries quicker. Also there is a large percentage of hydrophobic & hydrophilic glass which makes a massive difference to the overall finished job in my opinion from experience and trial and error over the years 

I like Unger's liquid, haven't come across anything better and that includes gg3. fwiw
I used to love Unger liquid but found it unforgiving in direct sunshine which to be fair in Scotland is only a fleeting moment.

Smells great though.

I have battered through all the soaps and different mixes and dilutions and shudder to think of what I have spent over the years on the next best thing.

I have been using HG diluted with water in a 350 milliltre bottle carried in pouch and spread straight on to applicator and couldn't fault it

Recently I was ordering something from Amazon and I needed to make up the £20 for free delivery and being a canny Scot I was scratching my head about what to add to the order and having read somewhere that Fairy Platinum was good on the glass I added a bottle to the order.

Not used the cowboy soap in years but I have to admit I am impressed with it and apart from more suds to tidy up it shines up well with good slip and my hands could stroke my wife's sleeping cheek and not wake her up?

I've been using razor glide for last year and half I think it makes your windows shine a lot more and when direct sunlight on windows does not dry as quick as fairy 

Also buy 10litres at a time last me a year and get a receipt for it for the tax man 

When you buy bottle of fairy i can never be bothered to wait for the receipt or I lose it ?

I have used fairy for years 

I have been cleaning windows trad for 13 years now, and I only use fairy. Does a great job.

Trad vs WFP? ? I know none of you WFP guys brought that up, but I am fed up seeing it on here.
I've always said if it cleans glass then any method is good.

I just prefer not to use ladders nowadays so use wfp a lot.

It is a bit pathetic all the trad vs wfp nonsense. 

A heated conversation about washing up liquid lol, that's a first.

Everybody works differently, everybody likes different things, & everyone's business on here is very personal to them so no harm in debating, although i would like to think we are better than insults ?

As for Fairy, I have being doing traditional window cleaning for jeeezzz over 20 years anyways and tried all sorts off stuff. Fairy washing up liquid does a great job. Does it do a better job than the cheaper liquids? I think it does, not by much but it is better imo. For the cost and how long it lasts imo it is a fantastic product for traditional window cleaning. I have cleaned tens of thousands of panes of glass and then some using Fairy. Is it better than the pro products? That is up for debate as they all seem to have pitfalls whether is be lack of glide, no grease cutting power or just too expensive etc. 

I use Fairy platinum but I do add a mix of the Moerman pro stuff, even though it is an absolute rip off. I find the grease cutting power of fairy platinum alongside the better glide and sexy aroma of the Moerman stuff works great. So fairy in the bucket and a squirt of Moreman on the sleeve seems to work very well for me, makes the Moerman stuff last that bit longer too and get my monies worth.

As regards trad vs wfp, I think I am pushing 4 years or so with WFP and although it has been trial and error with equipment, I can't imagine ever being without it and imo when done properly it does give a more complete finish. On the flip side I can't imagine going without trad either.  The idea of getting up ladders is archaic to me, just not worth the risk anymore. Been there and done it, I think everyone on here can remember a time when that ladder nearly went or you nearly slipped and you get that cold sensation up the back of your legs and back, maybe some have even fallen off. I'm done with climbing big ladders.

There does seem to be alot of pro window cleaning solutions coming out, claiming this and that and they are very pricey. You can look at all the youtube vids and read peoples opinions etc but what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa & really and truly you need to try it for yourself. I have so much old window cleaning stuff in my attic that I bought and just never got on with, so it's just laying there. Like most things in life I suppose it is trial and error & the question of what is the best soap, is too subjective as everybody works differently. How much solution you use and what rubber you have & the condition of it.. play a massive role in getting the finish you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find can leave small rainbow streaks
Hoops is it possible you're using just a little too much liquid on your mop? I usually run a line front/back of mop, dip in water, run my hand up/down the mop to 'work it in', then plunge back into the water and off you go.

Or it might be drying out a bit too quickly ?

To set the cat amongst the pigeons - I've used fairy and find it generates too many bubbles/and can cause a 'slick' on the pane I prefer Ecover less chemicals and doesn't seem to lather up so much - plus they come in these amazing 'flavours'

Chamomile and Clementine
Lemon & Aloe Vera 
Pomegranate & Fig 
Lily & Lotus

I mean 'Lily & Lotus' what's not to like about that!

Hoops is it possible you're using just a little too much liquid on your mop? I usually run a line front/back of mop, dip in water, run my hand up/down the mop to 'work it in', then plunge back into the water and off you go.

Or it might be drying out a bit too quickly ?

To set the cat amongst the pigeons - I've used fairy and find it generates too many bubbles/and can cause a 'slick' on the pane I prefer Ecover less chemicals and doesn't seem to lather up so much - plus they come in these amazing 'flavours'

Chamomile and Clementine
Lemon & Aloe Vera 
Pomegranate & Fig 
Lily & Lotus

I mean 'Lily & Lotus' what's not to like about that!
That’s what I use for traditional, very nice usually the aloe Vera, as they don’t do them all in the large bottle. Wait while it’s on offer for 2 quid at Sainsbury’s ?

I have noticed that its not available in lots of places lately.

I am wondering if a 5l bottle of floor cleaning gel will give the same "slip"?

Pete

I have been cleaning windows trad for 13 years now, and I only use fairy. Does a great job.

Trad vs WFP? ? I know none of you WFP guys brought that up, but I am fed up seeing it on here.
You will keep seeing it on here because the WFP cleaners think they are superior its quite laughable really . They have to justify why they have spent thousands on their equipment and constantly have a little snipe at that poor tool coming out with just his bucket .

What is funny is when I see a WFP cleaner I think the exact same thing poor lad he spent thousands and still don't do it as good as me lol .

WFP has its place .

It reaches other parts a trad cant ( hang on thats an advert aint it lol ) 

They earn a heck of a lot more money 

It is safer but it still comes with problems ….hows ya backs and shoulders and neck and arms you guys ? . 

Trad.

Does the best clean its as simple as that nothing more to say .

but its slower and often cant reach certain windows .

safety is pants I agree with ladder work .

far cheaper start up costs that the WFP cleaners seem to have to take the mickey out of . 

A lot of posts on here that ive done both SO I SHOULD KNOW what Im talking about . Any window cleaner that has done trad and gone WFP isn't going to say trad is better . A little bit of psychology a person wants to think there improving , you don't lay out thousands of pounds and then say " oh I got it wrong " , most people want to save face .

Trad beats WFP hands down for the best job end of its just the WFP keep on having that little dig they don't word there posts on here very well .To many look down on the trad guys .

And to answer the question ive used all detergents  GG3  unger squeegee off and all the fairy liquids u can imagine . Currently using magnum and vinegar . I can honestly say there isn't much difference between them all if you ask me .

You will keep seeing it on here because the WFP cleaners think they are superior its quite laughable really . They have to justify why they have spent thousands on their equipment and constantly have a little snipe at that poor tool coming out with just his bucket .

What is funny is when I see a WFP cleaner I think the exact same thing poor lad he spent thousands and still don't do it as good as me lol .

WFP has its place .

It is safer but it still comes with problems ….hows ya backs and shoulders and neck and arms you guys ? . 

Trad.

far cheaper start up costs that the WFP cleaners seem to have to take the mickey out of . 

A lot of posts on here that ive done both SO I SHOULD KNOW what Im talking about . Any window cleaner that has done trad and gone WFP isn't going to say trad is better . A little bit of psychology a person wants to think there improving , you don't lay out thousands of pounds and then say " oh I got it wrong " , most people want to save face .

Trad beats WFP hands down for the best job end of its just the WFP keep on having that little dig they don't word there posts on here very well .To many look down on the trad guys .
What a load of rubbish. I’m both trad and wfp and have been doing both for the best part of 20 years. I still do a fair bit of trad so not biased towards one or the other as I simply use whatever method gets the job done to the best of my ability whilst earning as much as possible and also keeping safety in mind. Although I do some property’s that I just wouldn’t entertain using wfp on I must say it is very minimal as most of my round is done wfp as it just does a far better job if done properly. I do agree that trad and wfp both have their place although trad is fading fast and is now only used when absolutely needed and wfp just doesn’t cut it. 

What a load of rubbish. I’m both trad and wfp and have been doing both for the best part of 20 years. I still do a fair bit of trad so not biased towards one or the other as I simply use whatever method gets the job done to the best of my ability whilst earning as much as possible and also keeping safety in mind. Although I do some property’s that I just wouldn’t entertain using wfp on I must say it is very minimal as most of my round is done wfp as it just does a far better job if done properly. I do agree that trad and wfp both have their place although trad is fading fast and is now only used when absolutely needed and wfp just doesn’t cut it. 
And yes wfp is superior.

That is from someone who was 100% trad for 24 years before trying stick waggling.

Yes the windows definitely won't have spots trad but the frames etc will never be as good.

WFP has its place .

Trad.

And to answer the question ive used all detergents  GG3  unger squeegee off and all the fairy liquids u can imagine . Currently using magnum and vinegar . I can honestly say there isn't much difference between them all if you ask me .
I did trad for 26 years and through this forum found the knowledge and wherewithal to change over successfully  3 years ago.

Until you find the confidence and try both you'll never know....

Can wipe frames down when tradding too.
Wipe frames or totally clean them spotless with water?

I know which I find best.

I do trad a lot still but don't use ladders anymore but do believe wfp gives cleaner frames.

Wipe frames or totally clean them spotless with water?

I know which I find best.

I do trad a lot still but don't use ladders anymore but do believe wfp gives cleaner frames.
What those top frames that you cant even clean proper because you cant see the top windows sills that your cleaning pmsl , Im sorry but what a load of **** , the frames are cleaned on my watch and just as good as any WFP cleaner .

What those top frames that you cant even clean proper because you cant see the top windows sills that your cleaning pmsl , Im sorry but what a load of **** , the frames are cleaned on my watch and just as good as any WFP cleaner .
I don't get all this ? about why people want to say my method is better than yours. No matter what method you use as long as you do the job properly then the customer will be happy.

All I will say is using WFP is the safest method and, in my opinion, will be the only method allowed above ground floor, initially on commercial business.

I don’t get why Trad only cleaners get so uptight? We have guys locally here that have only ever known trad and badmouthed WFP cleaners methods without having any knowledge at all about it. After hearing one lad I know talk **** about WFP I showed him my set up as he asked how I was getting my customers places absolutely spotless. He saw just how efficient and thorough the WFP was and has now invested in a £9000 system for one of his vans. He came to me a few weeks after using it and claimed the same old **** “trad is still a better clean”..... only to find out he was using his expensive system wrong! 

I clean both traditionally and WFP, they are both absolutely brilliant ways of cleaning glass! There are things trad can do that WFP can’t (insides, old wooden sash windows that leak, removing cement on construction cleans) but IMO WFP is like the modern day sportsman.... it’s superior! It’s much quicker, much safer, much more versatile, it gives a cleaner cut finish and as a bonus it keeps you fit because it can be one hell of a workout. 

Had a trad guy call me the other day as he was about to charge a family member of his £300 just to clean up his gutters. I went and did it for £100 because I have chosen to invest in the correct equipment to get the job done. He was about to rip his own family off for wasting his time with ladders and a damn rag. 

A long established local firm here invited me to go and look at how WFP works whilst I was only trad because I felt I was earning well having very little Overheads using just a ladder, bucket, dish soap and trad tools that pretty much anyone can get there hands on. I cleaned his window at his house trad as he asked to see my technique, after applauding how thorough, efficient and how clean the window and frames looked he proceeded to go over the very same ‘clean’ windows with the WFP. The black rubbers leaked a layer of dirt, the nooks you could never get your fingers in leaked dirt and the window and frames that appeared clean had just been completely cleaned. Once I saw that thing dry I was sold! I invested in my own system and haven’t looked back since. 

Yes, there is place for both trad cleaners and WFP cleaners. Whenever you hear somebody mock the WFP it’s best to just laugh at them as they are clearly either uneducated or bitter on the matter. I just refuse to listen to those who truly believe a £20-£30 Window Cleaning hand tool set and dish soap has better cleaning power than £6000-£9000 WFP cleaning set up. It baffles me as much as listening to full grown men run each other down when they are in the same profession. 

Now don’t for a second think I am mocking trad only cleaners as we pretty much all started trad and it will always have its place. Rather than take this is a bullshit comparison, take it as a fact that Window Cleaning (like everything) evolves! 

Back