Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best Split Charge Relay for 2016 L200 Barbarian to charge leisure battery

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Neilieboy

Hi all

I've recently purchased a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian for work. I need a split relay to charge my leisure battery which powers my pump and controller. I've been told I need a relay which works with truck which is a euro 5 engine, but I'm not sure what to buy.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

N

Most euro 5 engines don't have smart alternators, so any decent SCR will be fine. Ideally you want to check that it's not a smart alternator but you need a multimeter and watch it while driving. Or you could use an ODBII adapter and then an app on your phone (Android only) something like Torque. That way you can see the voltage live as you are driving - well for safety maybe give phone to passenger to watch.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would do exactly as @ched999uk has advised @Neilieboy

I have a 62 plate Peugeot Boxer. When I transferred my stuff from my 04 Plate Citroën Relay, I opted for a Sterling BB1260 to replace the Durite 140amp split charge relay I used in my old van.

I was drawn in by the marketing hype that a Sterling BB1260 would recharge my leisure battery "up to 5 times quicker" which wasn't the case with my setup. Even though my Citroën van's alternator charged my batteries at 14.6 volts and my Peugeot only charges my leisure battery at 13.9 volts, the difference in charging rate between the two units is negligible. (I had to remove my Sterling unit for a minor repair, so replaced it with my old Durite scr while I did that repair. This is how I was able to compare both units.)

Where these battery to battery chargers come into their own is with most Euro6 engines with smart alternators and regenerative braking.

If your alternator has a continuous charging voltage of 13.9 to 14.2v, then a cheaper Durite 140 amp scr will suffice, as long as you have heavy duty battery cable.

Latest Posts

Back