Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery to battery charging

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Millsy

I’m going to be swapping my system over to a 2017 plate Vivaro . I understand I will need a battery to battery charger as a split relay won’t work on the euro 6 models. Just wondering which one to order .

Sterling or Victron get good reviews but can you charge easily at home and do you do lots of miles? I like the look of the Victron ones as you can configure and monitor via bluetooth plus it's IP43 as opposed to the Sterling that is IP21 so not as waterproof! I have not used either one just read a fair bit about their use.
If it's easy to charge at home then I might be inclined to just charge each night and not worry about a dc to dc charger.
DC to DC chargers will usually capture more energy per mile than a standard split charge relay but unless you do a good few miles a day the charge you can get back probably wont be enough to sustain your battery back to full each day.

Sterling or Victron get good reviews but can you charge easily at home and do you do lots of miles? I like the look of the Victron ones as you can configure and monitor via bluetooth plus it's IP43 as opposed to the Sterling that is IP21 so not as waterproof! I have not used either one just read a fair bit about their use.
If it's easy to charge at home then I might be inclined to just charge each night and not worry about a dc to dc charger.
DC to DC chargers will usually capture more energy per mile than a standard split charge relay but unless you do a good few miles a day the charge you can get back probably wont be enough to sustain your battery back to full each day.
Charging at home will be a bit of a ball ache . Just looking at the Victron and they look pretty straight forward to install .

You will probably get much more techy info and real world experience from @spruce as I think he uses Sterling b2b chargers. He will probably be along later this evening.
The Victron also has a 5 year warranty! Sterling is 2 years although I don't know how good the warranties are on either - I do believe Sterling is UK designed and tech support is good.
I'm only here as I am waiting for a Gardiner delivery :)

Last edited:
Charging at home will be a bit of a ball ache . Just looking at the Victron and they look pretty straight forward to install .

As per @ched999uk .
A victron b2b 30 amp b2b non isolated charger is much more user friendly than the sterling bb1260 is that I have. Having the controlling app on your smart phone is brilliant.

Unfortunately, if you do a low daily mileage average like we do, you will need to supplementary 'bench' charge your leisure battery. We plugged a charger in every night.

B2b chargers aren't a quick fix solution I'm afraid. I bought the sterling unit I have on the back of George Sterling's comment that a bb1260 will charge a battery 5 times quicker than a vsr.
No it doesn't if your are using the correct side cabling. I use 110 amp cables.

Under the diy section I submitted a post a few years back on leisure battery charging. Added as many more posters comments you will find helpful.

Have a look at this link

Latest Posts

Back