Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best stuff for cleaning facias with a WFP?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Any ideas what it could be or what caused it, might be struggling with this one, they had it done last year really good clean apparently?
If it is rust then there must be screws/nails that are rusting, if it's just brown staining there could be rotten wood behind the plastic.

Not seen it locally before but have seen plenty of guys on here praising it so I will give it a try.

There seems to be three variations, a tub, a container like Cif comes in and a spray bottle.
Use the stuff in a tub.

I softwash gutters and fascias etc so don't use those weak chemicals anymore.

Any tips on removing this rust/drip type of stain? 

Under the fascia.

View attachment 24205
Oxalic acid is what I use to remove rust marks and staining on lead when softwashing. 

I'll give it a good, might have to face up to it and let the customer know with a discount, all learning experiences.

I've got a better picture on the front.

PXL_20210414_110421573.jpg

I'll give it a good, might have to face up to it and let the customer know with a discount, all learning experiences.

View attachment 24206
No not at all don’t reduce the price you are offering a cleaning service not restoration , I always explain there may be some marks staining that we cannot remove . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to the owner later and found out it's dried chemicals from the window cleaners last year, I'm guessing ubiks or varasol* @Martyn @Pjj

You're right about the restoration part also should have paid more attention during the quote, I didn't mind getting it off the guy who I did it for is such a great guy and I've learned a lot from cleaning it today.

Also used his platform for the cony roof which was great, I want one.

I spoke to the owner later and found out it's dried chemicals from the window cleaners last year, I'm guessing ubiks or varasol* @Martyn @Pjj

You're right about the restoration part also should have paid more attention during the quote, I didn't mind getting it off the guy who I did it for is such a great guy and I've learned a lot from cleaning it today.

Also used his platform for the cony roof which was great, I want one.
Then it has been good experience for you. ?

Any chems that dry on the glass can be a right so and so to get off.

I think we have all come away from a quote thinking that we didn't pay enough attention, I know I have.

I've seen those dried chemical stains before before on other fascia's, loads on the front and back I'm guessing cowboys that don't rinse or dry properly.

Any guesses what chemical it is?

I'll add a restoration price in the future is they want it gone.

I've seen those dried chemical stains before before on other fascia's, loads on the front and back I'm guessing cowboys that don't rinse or dry properly.

Virosol will leave brown dirty marks ware it has come into contact with organic material , but if rinsed it’s fine , TFR will do the same . 

Just looks like water stains, maybe they used wfp and pure went up and touched the felt and slowly came back down with some felt/tar residue. The pink stuff should restore it but its a ladder job.

I think we have all come away from a quote thinking that we didn't pay enough attention, I know I have.
Usually for me it's when I'm a bit quick, usually at the end of the day when I'm thinking about getting some food and just want to get the quote done and get off.  I've found that if you're hungry, thirsty, tired, cold or dying for a leak then that is when you get the quotes wrong.  Luckily I always leave a bit of a margin for error so any I do get a bit wrong still pay nicely.  The ones I get right I'm laughing.

If we're pricing empties or soapwashes and we can't decide straight away. We'll take notes and possibly photos and tell the customer we'll get back to them. Then son and I discuss it while travelling to the next job or home, decide on the pricing, itemise it to a point (emptying, soapwash, conservatory, garage) and wife gives them the figures by phone, text or email. As often as not we can give the prices while we're there. It's slightly better for securing the work as people tend to accept better in the moment.

I don't take photos as proof. I'd make my feelings known in no uncertain terms if someone questioned my integrity by accusing me of not emptying a gutter I'd charged for! It would be for them to check in whatever way they chose. I wouldn't be risking my life and health further by going back up to take photos.
Unfortunately there are cowboys in every industry including ours.

Sister in law had a roofer clear our her gutters while he was there for other work. He charged for it but 6 months later the gutters were full. I did them and they haven't been touched in 3 years. Says a lot.

Another customer had new guttering and wanted extra gutter clamps fitted. They just clipped additional clamps onto the gutter but never screwed them to the fascias.

I can understand customer mistrust but to be so blatant annoyed me.

Unfortunately there are cowboys in every industry including ours.

Sister in law had a roofer clear our her gutters while he was there for other work. He charged for it but 6 months later the gutters were full. I did them and they haven't been touched in 3 years. Says a lot.

Another customer had new guttering and wanted extra gutter clamps fitted. They just clipped additional clamps onto the gutter but never screwed them to the fascias.

I can understand customer mistrust but to be so blatant annoyed me.
That's the reason I don't cut corners because they will eventually come back to haunt you. Would rather be late home and have the job correctly finished rather than rush it.

View attachment 24206
This is dirt that has come from behind the fascia. We usually wrap a small hand towel over the brush and wipe it off when the water has finished dripping down.

If you come across soffits like these they are even worse.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-Soffit-Reveal-Liner-Vented---225-x-9mm-x-3m/p/187424

This is dirt that has come from behind the fascia. We usually wrap a small hand towel over the brush and wipe it off when the water has finished dripping down.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-Soffit-Reveal-Liner-Vented---225-x-9mm-x-3m/p/187424
Yes we generally clean them in the normal manner then with a dry brush sweep the water off the vents then leave it a few muinits and do the same again , if there is still dirty water coming out of them we tie a microfibres cloth on the head of the brush and wipe it with that until it stops , this removes the dirty water and stops the staining . 

Feels like more than just dirt, nearly glued on ? took 5 mins of hard scrubbing with unger wipeout for that one section.

I've done vents like that before, dirt can really build up on them when I does all fluff from the dust, I use a car micro fibre mitten on an attachment pole to wipe everything down.

I tend to do one side front first then back, dry front and clean too windows then same on the back to give lots of drip time without waiting around.

I've been doing so many this week, I keep adding photos to my Facebook and this area is going mad for it, got a nice £100 fascia and soffit one tomorrow on a big bungalow hopefully quoted right.

For the amount of effort involved (for you, getting the kits together) plus the potential custy saying 'the kit you sold me left marks on the window' I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Plus as covid is gradually becoming less of an issue you could offer interior cleans and earn from them!!
I've never been keen on interior cleaning, takes a lot longer not making a mess and there's so many paint spots in most houses from over the years, I don't think they would like to here my prices.

Back