Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best R.O ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Which/what is the best R.O to get ?

i was using a 150 gpd R.O, i could probably do with upping it to a 300 Gpd one shortly but not sure if i would be better with a 4040 or 4021 or something else?

My tap tds is around 140 usually, i want the best one in terms og lowering the tds to the lowest possible and the most efficent in terms of waste as im on a meter now

nerver looked at R.Os before so dont know whats what?

cheers

i was using a 150 gpd R.O, i could probably do with upping it to a 300 Gpd one shortly but not sure if i would be better with a 4040 or 4021 or something else?

My tap tds is around 140 usually, i want the best one in terms og lowering the tds to the lowest possible and the most efficent in terms of waste as im on a meter now

cheers
You need @spruce to talk you through it, prepare for a long reply mind  :1f609: Mine's in the van and came with a factory fitted booster pump as I'm hopeless technically

cheers

If you have storage (ie 1000 liter IBC tank) then you could just upgrade your existing r/o by adding 2 additional housings and 3 new 150GPD membranes. The water produced won't be fast but at least will be 3 times faster than you are producing it now.

Under normal conditions a 450 GPD just managed to supply the 2 of us, so 1 user is well within its capabilities.

With that tap water tds you can remove the preset restrictor and fit an on/off tap with a separate flush tap bypass. You can easily get away with a 1 to 1 pure to waste ratio at that ppm.

Decent Filmtec or Axeon membranes will remove 98% of dissolved solids provided you have a reasonable 50 psi tap water pressure.

I would always suggest a 4040 as you will never be caught short of water although a 4021 will also do the job, just a little slower.

In both these cases, you will need to add a control to switch the r/o off when your storage tank is full.

thanks spruce

will a 450 Gpd produce the same rejection rates as a 4040 ? i want as efficent as possible

also will i be able to get the 50/50 pure waste with the 450gpd?

to be honest my 150 gpd has being doing me proud using 2000 litres a week, so  300 GPD should be fine for now

is 450 gpd the highest you can go or can you keep adding housings ? say 600 gpd?

the most ecoonomical way to go will be a 300gpd if its just as efficent as a 4040 or 4021 cheers

no i dont have a storage tank, i R.O straight into the van overnight and guess how long i need to put it on a timer for. i very rarely overfilled it as i measured the flow rate and always aimed to underfill the 500l tank slightly, cuould i not fit some sort of shut off to the van tank and continue doing it this way?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks spruce

will a 450 Gpd produce the same rejection rates as a 4040 ? i want as efficent as possible

also will i be able to get the 50/50 pure waste with the 450gpd?

to be honest my 150 gpd has being doing me proud using 2000 litres a week, so  300 GPD should be fine for now

is 450 gpd the highest you can go or can you keep adding housings ? say 600 gpd?

the most ecoonomical way to go will be a 300gpd if its just as efficent as a 4040 or 4021 cheers

If you go the route of an on/off tap to control your waste water then you could go 40% waste to 60% pure, but the downside is your membranes may suffer a bit.

He's a video clip of Alex assembling a 4021 r/o. If you look from 21.16 he will show you how to assemble a flush kit. The valve he uses is shut with a screwdriver and when you want to flush the membranes you just open the tap. Finished flushing, close the tap and you still have your original settings for the waste to pure ratio.

On the standard RoMan type r/o 450GPD is about as far as you can go. Anything after that is restricted because of the maximum water flow 1/4" tubing will provide.

I've got 450gpd ro and I get roughly 60ltr per hour from it with booster pump fitted.

no idea about pure to waste though.

Thats interesting as my 4040 without boost gives me 2 liters of pure per minute with 2 lpm of waste going to the drain. 50psi water pressure with HF5 membrane.

A 4021 will give about 1 lpm of pure.

I see you can make up a set from these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Guest-1-4-Push-Fit-fittings-drinks-Dispense-Ro-Units-Brewery/152100894344?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3D67bae2a4ad704322b79a0fd0bd4c1211%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D271759192201&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

2 x 1/4" dividers, 2 taps and some 1/4" hose. You will just have to know which valve is which.

I'm sure @Dave B made one up for his system recently. There might even be a thread where he took a photo of it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll have to take a pic in the morning when i can see out in the garden but easy enough to do

I used 2 t pieces, 2 elbows, 2 taps and about 8 inches of hose

id never seen that style of flush valve before. Going to get one of those made up, so much more convenient than what i have now. thanks for the heads us @spruce

id never seen that style of flush valve before. Going to get one of those made up, so much more convenient than what i have now. thanks for the heads us @spruce

Ro_man.com have been doing something similar for years.

Here's an example

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/flush-kit-100-gpd-ro-systems.html?search=flush&page=2

The straight piece is a restrictor. Unfortunately its preset and not adjustable. In your case you just need 2 valves that completely shut. Open the valve that replaces the restrictor until you have the right ratio of pure to waste you are happy with. Out restrictor was 3 waste to 1 pure. If I was on a water meter I would have changed that as we do well with 1 waste to 1 pure.

@spruce thats the restrictor i have on my 150 GPD RO

so is it simply a case of replacing it with an inline tap then restricting the flow until i get 1 to 1 ratio?

im guessing i can just measure this ratio by using a measuring jug or similar

@spruce thats the restrictor i have on my 150 GPD RO

so is it simply a case of replacing it with an inline tap then restricting the flow until i get 1 to 1 ratio?

im guessing i can just measure this ratio by using a measuring jug or similar

Yes on both questions. You will have to time the test if you are using 1 container. If you put the waste into 1 and pure into the other and run them at the same time then you will soon see what the difference is.

Thanks @spruce

I have ordered 1 300 Gpd upgrade kit and got a tap, so just need to set it up, also rang the water board and i can get a reduction on sewerage costs, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Adam....you done any costings on using double Di versus Ro.....I found the Ro too much faff.....250 litres and I'm full in 12 minutes or so.

Tap tds is 95 sometimes less...also can fill up at customers or top up as needed.

Adam....you done any costings on using double Di versus Ro.....I found the Ro too much faff.....250 litres and I'm full in 12 minutes or so.
Tap tds is 95 sometimes less...also can fill up at customers or top up as needed.

Just a thought pal but if this resin shortage turns out to be long term or overpriced due to being scarce wouldnt a cheap ro be handy as a back up?.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think he's forward planning in case this resin shortage goes on.

I have one as I started out with Ro and small Di vessel....got fed up of faffing about plus water charges and got double 16 litre Di vessels.

I have it sorted now where most of the time I can arrive almost empty at first house and leave it filling whilst cleaning said house.

Latest Posts

Back