Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fibredyne filters v normal prefilters

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mufcglen

Do you really get 3 times more out of these to normal filters and it says you don’t need a sediment filter but is it worth buying one?

Definitely worth getting a pre filter, if you get a clear bowl housing you’ll see just how much muck and debris our house supply has - plus for the sake of a couple of quid every month why not!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Do you really get 3 times more out of these to normal filters and it says you don’t need a sediment filter but is it worth buying one?

We use a sediment filter as our water is sometimes laden with sediment. At the time when we had sediment issues we were using around 78,000 liters of water through our r/o every 3 months, total of waste and pure added together. So this meant that the Fiberdyne c/b filter lasted 3 months as that what the manufacture says its service life is. But we were having to change the sediment filter every month as it was getting blocked and reducing flow.

The Fiberdyne c/b filter is rated at 5 micron, the same as the sediment filter. So any tiny bits of sediment smaller than 5 micron would also pass through the Fiberdyne filter. The result was that the Fiberdyne filter never blocked up.

Now I once tried another c/b filter that would do double the service life of the Fiberdyne. It was a 1 micron filter. Unfortunately it failed as it was blocked up with the sediment the sediment filter let through. It was much more expensive than the Fiberdyne and a total waste of money for me. The product was good but the problem was with our water supply.

Now lets be totally honest and ask the question; how do we know what the service life is for our water? We don't. @doug atkinson once stated that the dosage of chlorine deminishes the further our tap is from the dosing station. (What I do know is that UV rays in the sun broke down chlorine in our swimming pool water in South Africa - hence the reason why we dosed the pool at night.)  Our water authority didn't know where our dosing station was/is when I asked them the question. But if what Doug says is correct ( have no reason to doubt him) then it could be that the manufacturers of these filters base their service life on the worst case senario. If that's the case then, logically, these filters should last longer in our (my) application.

But for me I have chosen the religiously replace my c/b filters at 78k. I want my Axeon 4040 HF5 membrane to last as long as possible as they aren't cheap to replace. So far my membrane is 5 1/2 years old and still performing to spec.

I have a 20" GAC carbon block filter under my desk. It has a label inside it advising it has a service life of 10000 liters. So if I was to use that as a carbon block then I would have to replace it about 8 times in 3 months following their service life figures. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Strangely enough, I have a 10" GAC filter as well and that also has a service life of 10k according to the manufacturers label.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that great reply pal I’m going to order one along with a sediment filter for my 20 inch housing then and see how the sediment filter looks after a month or so as I’m not sure what my sediment quality is like in Manchester but I’ve never had a problem cleaning windows from Di method no probs?

The inner carbon yes but what we have found the outer sediment clogs up if you have high sediment in your water. You then have an inner carbon that is still not used.

So what we do is have a sediment prior.

Back