Boab And Worn Rubber Blades

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by John B, Mar 24, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. John B

John B Active Member

I am sure that all you fellows experience the problem of rubber blades being worn away by the edge of the squeegee compartment on your BOAB.

I find that the blades are lasting less than a week before they are dead, even when reversing them.

Has anyone come up with a way of protecting the blades from this kind of damage, or at least limiting it?

I am currently dealing with this by carrying my squeegee in my hand when climbing up and down ladders, and resting them on sills or dropping them in the bucket when detailing etc., not ideal, but until I can resolve this I am trying to extend their life to a more reasonable expectancy.

Anyone got any ideas?

John

Advertisement
  2. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Putting them on the windows sills is a bad idea. It can pick up small stones. I herd of it happen before. If you haven't scratched a window you will soon. You will probably no here or see it but I bet there some small scratches on some of the windos

3. John B

John B Active Member

I place it face side up, if you see what I mean. The blade itself doesn't touch the sill, it rests on the channel and the back of the handle. There is of course the danger of me knocking it off the sill onto someone's bonce below!

I am racking my brains for a way of modifying my BOAB to prevent it damaging the blades, hence I have put the question out here to others who may have come up with a practical solution.

John

4. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

I am not sure the edge of the squeegee is being damaged by the boab, but more of when using it on the window, the when the rubber hits the sides of the window, this damages the rubber.

5. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Must admit, I have always wondered what damage the boab does to your rubber as its quite a tight fit. My rubbers still last about 3 weeks though. I use sorbo spc rubber.

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

What boab are you using? Unger ones have plenty of room in them. After you've turned the rubber try taking a slither off the offending end with some sharp scissors. If the nick is in the middle of the rubber after turning it, then this advice will be worthless. Also try putting your blade in the boab with the metal only touching as it slides in.

Sounds like you're being a bit rough with it tbh.

7. Dodger

Dodger Hero

I've got a modified green unger boab and on inside edges that the squeegee rubber would contact I've epoxied a thin strip of rubber right down the whole length of it, it overlaps by a couple of mm at the top as well. Works a treat.

8. John B

John B Active Member

Thanks for all your replies. I am not sure of the make of the BOAB. All I know is that It is blue, with 3 compartmants for squeegees, plus the larger compartment for the applicator.

The damage is to the centre of the blade where it rubs againt the top inner edge of the outer centre compartment. I have cut up small pieces of old rubber blade and inserted it around the inner edge of the compartment, but it tends to pull out when I extract the squeegee. Some glue would probably do the trick. I will give it a go.

Best wishes,
    John

9. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

10. Mart1001

Mart1001 Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, I got talking to a windy while I was at the cleaningwarefhouse. He was buying a small scraper and I told him about the ones for a quid at Maplins. He was showing me his van, poles etc and then I asked him about his BOAB as it wasn't plastic, it was a sort of pvc rubber or something, more like a pouch really but, BOAB shaped. He started to explain that he didn't like the Unger type as it bangs on....at that point I jumped in a said...on the side of your knee yea and laughed.

I did mean to have a look or infact, ask on here about it and if anyone knew where to buy them....I'm pretty sure he said he had to buy his online from USA.

Mart.

Advertisement