Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Brick water proof sealer on glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

marlowswindows

Hey all. Just been doing a clean on a building that has had the pointing re done and then they've splashed brick sealer all over the glass is covered.

I'm aware of the process to get it off bit by bit but whats the best product to help scrape it off don't want to trail stuff ideally somebody has the perfect solution l. ?

A product like Xylene is good for paving sealer and I would think it works on brick sealer too, but you'd need to double check that and its suitability on glass.
Or if you know which particular sealer was used then contact the manufacturers and ask their advice.

I had this issue last year. two customers both had it done (neighbours) and it was bad on the pvc sills too. Used screwfix degreaser but took a bit of an effort. Could've done with something stronger I reckon.

If it’s something like Thomson’s water seal as far as ime aware you cannot get it off I had a conservatory with it on and tried everything and nothing would remove it not Evan a scraper it was like it became part of the glass

Tell them to get the firm back who caused the damage and clean up and if they can't shift it then they'll have liability insurance to have them professionally cleaned or replaced.
It's a church and the people that did it where apparently volunteers. I've said I will look into products and there looking at 3 hours labour. Worth a try I will do a test plan one piece before fully Committing

It's a church and the people that did it where apparently volunteers. I've said I will look into products and there looking at 3 hours labour. Worth a try I will do a test plan one piece before fully Committing
Volunteers who didn't have a clue, I really don't get why people use that stuff if the brickwork is done properly and any remedial works like pointing as required a building will remain water tight as it can be although granted the mortar is porus but they shouldn't have any issues

I'd love to see the state of the pointing if they did that as well, I doubt they ground back the joints over 2mm

So what, they're telling you it'll take 3 hrs to sort it out? What do they know? Sounds like the work was done by amateurs and they're after an amateurish way of dealing with it.
I would suggest asking the volunteers what they used and contacting the manufacturers. They will know what products are suitable for removing their own sealer and then you can price that up and look into how to use it. It's very likely that there could be a significant contact time involved and more than 1 application required. Weather and temperature are likely to be other factors to take into account.
Removing any sort of sealer is not straightforward eg paving, decking etc, it's not quick and it's not cheap and personally I'd want to know exactly what I'm getting into, what its going to cost and quote appropriately. If they don't want to pay it walk away. Fair enough it's a church but they can't expect something for nothing.

Sounds like more trouble then it’s worth the time already spent researching for what you will earn out of it is it worth it?.How much are they thinking 3hours labour will be and of course could take longer I would be cautious. As the volunteers did it put it back in there hands sounds like they don’t want the hassle of it.

So what, they're telling you it'll take 3 hrs to sort it out? What do they know? Sounds like the work was done by amateurs and they're after an amateurish way of dealing with it.
I would suggest asking the volunteers what they used and contacting the manufacturers. They will know what products are suitable for removing their own sealer and then you can price that up and look into how to use it. It's very likely that there could be a significant contact time involved and more than 1 application required. Weather and temperature are likely to be other factors to take into account.
Removing any sort of sealer is not straightforward eg paving, decking etc, it's not quick and it's not cheap and personally I'd want to know exactly what I'm getting into, what its going to cost and quote appropriately. If they don't want to pay it walk away. Fair enough it's a church but they can't expect something for nothing.
Again with a limitless supply of easy work why would anyone want to take a job on like , far to much hassle especially if it’s been on there a while .

If it’s something like Thomson’s water seal as far as ime aware you cannot get it off I had a conservatory with it on and tried everything and nothing would remove it not Evan a scraper it was like it became part of the glass
Yes to be honest I couldnt get the damn stuff off entirely, dont think I'd ever used so much elbow grease before. Can still see on the sills too. I remember on the sills it looked like some kind of greasy soot embedded into the pvc! Done best I could and charged but explained not perfect.

Yes to be honest I couldnt get the damn stuff off entirely, dont think I'd ever used so much elbow grease before. Can still see on the sills too. I remember on the sills it looked like some kind of greasy soot embedded into the pvc! Done best I could and charged but explained not perfect.
TBH I wouldn't expect degreaser to have any effect whatsoever once its dried on

At a guess once it’s dried you would need a solvent to remove it , problem is I haven’t found anything that will soften or remove it
Yeh I can still see the stuff on those windows tbh. on my customers they are in shade all day lucky for them and the sunny side is rendered and not brick, but still, what shoddy work, would've thought maybe cover the glass and sills. I googled it and on an american site they mention something called titan oil and a razor blade. Not for me though, too much.

Well its a big improvement on what they were. eventually got the glass better, dont think the sills will ever be perfect again but there you go.
That's interesting to know. I wasn't disputing it, I was just surprised it did any good cos as @Pjj has said I would've expected a solvent to be needed

That's interesting to know. I wasn't disputing it, I was just surprised it did any good cos as @Pjj has said I would've expected a solvent to be needed
Years ago I cleaned a conservatory using a TFR mix done the same type of job dozens of times before this particular day never had a problem , the mix dried out on the glass and white plastic framework ,again this had happened before with no problem, this time it left what looked like a yellow varnish behind in patches , I tried everything to remove it but nothing including a scraper would remove it ,it was like it had become a part of the plastic and glass , I have never used TFR since .

Luckily was just on a couple of small downstaits windows and I had to scrub like crazy and throw/get fresh scouring pads. Certainly was not a perfect job, dont think could get it totally gone but the where it was on the pvc sill was worse. I imagine the issue must cause quite some grief.

Years ago I cleaned a conservatory using a TFR mix done the same type of job dozens of times before this particular day never had a problem , the mix dried out on the glass and white plastic framework ,again this had happened before with no problem, this time it left what looked like a yellow varnish behind in patches , I tried everything to remove it but nothing including a scraper would remove it ,it was like it had become a part of the plastic and glass , I have never used TFR since .
The valeters used to use TFR on all new cars to remove the sprayed on protective seal all new cars were coated with. It had to be applied in the early morning or late evening when there was little heat in the sun and the stuff had to be pressure washed off before it could dry.

On one of the first conservatories I cleaned, I left it to dwell for too long. I spend 2 days trying to get the yellow film off. TBH I didn't completely remove the stuff on the whites that couldn't be seen. Never used the stuff since.

Latest Posts

Back