Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can I leave it until next month?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Howdy guys and gals,

Getting chilly out there now and with the bad weather I have had my first "er can we leave it until next month mate, they don't need doing".  This is after 8 weeks of them being cleaned.  Told the customer I can't run a business on an as and when needed basis.  They confirmed they are not on holiday, they just want to skip.  What do you reckon?  Messer get rid and move on?  I mean if they do it once the'y'll just do it again right?  Your thoughts and experiences with this form of messerisms?

I explained to the customer with this text "Hello, I can't run my business on a as and when basis.  I maintain the windows so the dirt does not build up.  I book people into slots for a clean on my 4 and 8 week rounds.  You are on my 8 week round.  Would you like me to remove you?"  She responded "Yes, and to be honest I am very surprised, you have any business, as you are so rude".  What you reckon?  Was I too blunt?  I just can entertain customers who think we are there when they feel the windows need doing, its a waste of my time.  Would you guys have handled this any differently? 

Cheers
Yes too blunt...I would of sacked you off myself if you did my windows and I wanted you to miss this time, and got your reply.We are supplying a service which our customers use. They can cancel our service whenever they wish and change to another window cleaner when ever they choose, for what ever reason.

What would you yourself do if a window cleaner you pay for talks down to you and tells you when they will have their windows cleaned?.

Remember too, it does not take much to get a bad reputation from dissatisfied customers, word travels.

Honestly I take each customer as it comes in that if it does happen I look back at how they've performed in the past. If they've been a good customer I'll be a little more forgiving with them but if it keeps happening with them then I'll say something and take it from there. 
Exactly...if it keeps happening....that is different and your dealing with a customer you do not need...but wanting the window cleaner to miss "this time" is different...a one off.

he pointed out to me that the new price was £10 more than usual but didn't give me a chance to explain I would be doing extra work etc etc

I've put a good few prices up to what they needed to be lately and some reactions are bizarre.  Only had one who got angry like your chap there though.

I don't know why people get emotional about a price rise, they can easily just calmly cancel, it's just a business decision not a personal attack on them ?‍♂️

To be fair though most people were fine with it, very glad to keep on these understanding folks.

When I did window cleaning I got this a lot around this time of the year even in affluent areas. For a lot of people they are coming up to the most stressful part of the year and wonder how they are going to pay for presents etc.. so yes unfortunately they look at what is not a requirement.

This did not bother me at all as you have to understand what they are going through even though they may have a top of the range car on the drive. You cannot presume something else may be an issue as you do not know what is going on.

Having a go at the customer can and probably effect your business as they may tell their neighbours, friends etc.. who then may want to cancel.

Accepting their wishes is the right thing to do in a acceptable manner, it's not going to leave you penniless. By doing this they are more than likely to recommend you to their friends.

There was a window cleaner in Stirling who only cleaned from March to November then went away the other months. That model works for him and his customers are fine with it as well.

My old man used to say "do to them as you would like done to you". Very wise words.

Golden rule always works. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Had a customer email me this week and say his missus had found another window cleaner half my price so they were cancelling. Asked if we had done anything wrong at all so we could rectify things. No nothing wrong the missus had just switched to her mums window cleaner as cheaper! 

I said thanks for the work over the last four years and see you around.

When he comes back to seek my services again the price will go up again as its a tricky house, gates etc that need unlocking by appointment bay windows on the front and round windows with lead too on some of them at least thirty five panes of glass so cheap at 25 I thought. Be 30 when he comes back.  Joy of window cleaning I guess.

Keep smiling soon be spring and we will be in demand again.!!!

Happens to all of us at some point. Here is one of my own....

Context is:  Been cleaning there for about a year, four bed detached with small conservatory, slow payer, little response if any to texts, bit miserable to talk to if she can be bothered and 50 yds or so from another call, always gave off a little sense of superiority in attitude, weather was fine on the day of the clean blah blah. I have always been very courteous and friendly to her.

Texted the afternoon before the clean was due the next day.

Customer....... Can you give us a miss tomorrow Thank you.

Me : Hi XXXX
I don't usually skip cleans unless for good reason. This is because, when I resume cleaning after double the period, (3 months in this case), the glass / frames / sills etc are often in such a mess that it takes me twice as long as a regular maintenance clean to get them back to best.
Of course, I can reschedule the odd clean if a customer has a particular issue that day but if weather related (unless quite hopeless conditions) I just carry on as it makes no difference to the cleaning result.
I hope this comes across as a genuine explanation of how we work and is in no way meant to offend our customers.
Kind regards, XXXXX

Customer : No worries , I'll no longer need the cleaning . Thank you for your services.

That was it end of. 

Rude ? Nah....blunt ? not really..... just happens sometimes. Perhaps she was looking for an out, who knows whats going on in their heads. It did bother me at the time, wondering what it was all about and I did reflect on my text to her but I had been messed about a little bit that week for one reason or another and that's how the text to her just came out. Just got to say it as you see it sometimes. Can't be all nicey nicey all the time fawning over everyone.

I've already filled her space four times over since ?

Have a lovely weekend all fellow windies. ?

I've put a good few prices up to what they needed to be lately and some reactions are bizarre.  Only had one who got angry like your chap there though.

I don't know why people get emotional about a price rise, they can easily just calmly cancel, it's just a business decision not a personal attack on them ?‍♂️

To be fair though most people were fine with it, very glad to keep on these understanding folks.
The trick is to do it little and often. 50p every 12-18 months isn't even noticed. You try and stick £5 on a few and you would think you'd run the cat over.

Completely agree though, some take it really personally. If I took it personally every time someone put prices up I would have punched the guy in the petrol station by now.

Context is:  Been cleaning there for about a year, four bed detached with small conservatory, slow payer, little response if any to texts, bit miserable to talk to if she can be bothered and 50 yds or so from another call, always gave off a little sense of superiority in attitude, weather was fine on the day of the clean blah blah. I have always been very courteous and friendly to her.

I don't usually skip cleans unless for good reason. This is because, when I resume cleaning after double the period, (3 months in this case), the glass / frames / sills etc are often in such a mess that it takes me twice as long as a regular maintenance clean to get them back to best.
Of course, I can reschedule the odd clean if a customer has a particular issue that day but if weather related (unless quite hopeless conditions) I just carry on as it makes no difference to the cleaning result.
I hope this comes across as a genuine explanation of how we work and is in no way meant to offend our customers.
Kind regards, XXXXX

Customer : No worries , I'll no longer need the cleaning . Thank you for your services.

That was it end of. 

Rude ? Nah....blunt ? not really..... just happens sometimes. Perhaps she was looking for an out, who knows whats going on in their heads. It did bother me at the time, wondering what it was all about and I did reflect on my text to her but I had been messed about a little bit that week for one reason or another and that's how the text to her just came out. Just got to say it as you see it sometimes. Can't be all nicey nicey all the time fawning over everyone.

i wouldnt of bothered with the explanation...i never do...was it a monthly job or longer frequency clean?if it was an 8weekly i usually dont go back.....did she not give a reason?if a customer skips they usually give a reason(builders/painter doing work,etc)and thats fine....if its a skip for no reason then i dont go back generally unless its a monthly customer thats been good as gold for many years....then ill relent if its only a very rare occasion...

Kind regards, XXXXX

That was it end of. 

Good post apart from the ending of ‘have a great weekend fellow windies’

I’ve been using that phrase for many years on here on a Friday!!

Stop it immediate or I’ll phone the police ??.

Now, back to the original pioneer of that phrase (soon to be copyrighted ?). Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ???

I know I am a noobie.  But I am now sitting with a guiness and chilling with the Mrs.  Having read all these replies from my original post I know feel much happier than I did.  This is my first winter and I don't know what to expect.  I am sure we will be living off fresh air till my round gets more stable.  Thanks for all your answers.

I know I am a noobie.  But I am now sitting with a guiness and chilling with the Mrs.  Having read all these replies from my original post I know feel much happier than I did.  This is my first winter and I don't know what to expect.  I am sure we will be living off fresh air till my round gets more stable.  Thanks for all your answers.

When you clean a customers upstair window, check their gutter or take a photo of whats inside. Then tell them or leave a card telling them the price to clear them. I did that last month and got a £50 one to clear right away!

Don't let it get you down mate, take whatever work you need to in order to get to spring. There is work there in winter and the customers you do pick up are usually more loyal (except around xmas). What Scottish said is a really good idea, add ons can fill the diary nicely for you.

i wouldnt of bothered with the explanation...i never do...was it a monthly job or longer frequency clean?if it was an 8weekly i usually dont go back.....did she not give a reason?if a customer skips they usually give a reason(builders/painter doing work,etc)and thats fine....if its a skip for no reason then i dont go back generally unless its a monthly customer thats been good as gold for many years....then ill relent if its only a very rare occasion...
Hi dazmond, It was a 6 weekly job and there was no reason given whatsoever, that was the complete conversation. Thought she might have come back with some form of explanation if I'm honest (that would be normal behavior) but the fact that she didn't kind of reinforced my personal opinion of her.

I agree with you "to never go back", unless under exceptional circumstances.?

Good post apart from the ending of ‘have a great weekend fellow windies’

I’ve been using that phrase for many years on here on a Friday!!

Stop it immediate or I’ll phone the police ??.

Now, back to the original pioneer of that phrase (soon to be copyrighted ?). Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ???
Love it. What I should have added was, " There's more to life" + "Millwall rule OK" Oh and Topics are the best chocolate bars in the world. Goodnight. ? ?

So there you have it, the vagaries of window cleaning and the general public.

After over 2 decades in this job it continues to evolve, this week I've lost one £100 commercial  1 house move, 2 deaths, and one housefire where 2 customers luckily escaped, on the upside I've got 2 pickups, one possible commercial.

A lively week, and earnings are down, but next week will bring new challenges and that's what makes it interesting.

And going back to the housefire,  it puts it all in perspective. 

Keep on keeping on.

Identity theft going on here.
Good to see I have another fan ?.

Had a customer phone me last night who asked me can I leave her windows as my ‘special water’ is leaving stains on her patio ?.

I tried to talk to her but she just didn’t want to listen.

Sod her, soppy mare ?‍?

Back